Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

liable to pay bill

Options
  • 30-03-2015 12:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭

Hi All,

if a Util Company have my Address Wrong and they come after me for an outstanding bill am i liable ?

i phone them 3 times in the past to pay it but since my address is different they wont deal with me and a debt agent i rang this morning said cos i gave them a different address from what they have under the data protection they can not talk to me about this issue..

so what next ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,714 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

How would they come if they don't have your address?

At least not the appropriate one. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,507 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

If you owe them money then yes, you are liable. Contact them in writing explaining the issues you are having settling your bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

If the address is different, ask them what you need to do to fix the address. The company should have alternative protocols in place to identify account holders rather than replying soley on addresses.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

This happened to me, I left a flat about 6 months ago and according to a debt collection agency there is 50 quid or so left owning on one bill. By the time they called me it was February, they asked me to confirm my last address and I did, but it was different to what they had on file. I contacted the provider and it was the same thing, I couldn't confirm the address so they couldn't talk to me. Silly.

I also couldn't confirm the address they had on file because I have no idea what it is! Plus, I wanted to see what I supposedly owed because I left €200 with the landlord to pay any remaining bills and I have a feeling it went into her own pocket!

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭niamh.foley

I am living in the same house for the last 6 years..

Always wondered why i never got a bill most be going to the wrong address for the past 4 years..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Have you lived at the address they have on file?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Cold War Kid

Yes, if you use the service, you are liable to pay for it. Who else would be? A mistake in the address won't remove the cost of a service; might be grounds for a payment plan on your own terms though.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭niamh.foley

TheChizler wrote: »

Dont know what address they have on file on me...

only used there Service when i moved in.. never used them other then that

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

TheChizler wrote: »

The whole point is that they can't tell you the address they have on file, you have to confirm it!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Lux23 wrote: »
    The whole point is that they can't tell you the address they have on file, you have to confirm it!
    It wasn't stated that this was the case until the post before yours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Lux23 wrote: »

There really should be an alternative way of confirming the account.

Advertisement