Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog boosters

• 30-03-2015 1:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭

my question here if anybody can answer, it is my dog is 5 had her puppy shots and has had boosters since then. Now she was supposed to have her boosters in January but with her being in heat I didn't want to risk them at that time. Now the girl on reception is saying she needs to start from the puppy vaccination again because it's been over 13 months.

I don't think this makes any sense and feel like it's more of a scam.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Def not. Go to another vets and just say you want her annual boosters done.
    Absol no need to start all over again at all. That is just silly. If she is 5 and was done every year then there is no need to start all over again. 2 months is not going to make any difference.

Some vets are unreal! !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭JamboMac

Thought as much, thanks for the response.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

Most vaccines now actually last for 3 years, not just one year, so your girl will be fine, and my own vet recommends redoing my dogs every 3 years now. However, lepto does need an annual booster, and if you miss it then yes, she should start again. Another however though, it is estimated that the lepto vaccination only lasts between 6-8 months anyway, so is the annual booster effective at all?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

andreac wrote: »

Some vets are unreal! !

It wasn't the vet that advised it, it was the girl on reception.

boomerang wrote: »

Oh oops, sorry my bad. Didnt read that properly :o

• Advertisement

boomerang wrote: »

No, we rang back and queried why, and a different girl on reception explained they do this supposedly under what the manufacturer recommends, as if she catches anything the booster is designed for. She would not be covered under manufacturers warranty.

Which if she catches anything with the started again vaccination the manufacturer would cover vet allegedly.

JamboMac wrote: »
    No, we rang back and queried why, and a different girl on reception explained they do this supposedly under what the manufacturer recommends, as if she catches anything the booster is designed for. She would not be covered under manufacturers warranty.

Which if she catches anything with the started again vaccination the manufacturer would cover vet allegedly.

I would just ring them back and maybe say if they don't want to give her the booster then you will go elsewhere.

I would just ring them back and maybe say if they don't want to give her the booster then you will go elsewhere.

No in all fairness they said in the second phone call that they would do the boosters but it would be at my own risk, if she caught one of the things the vaccine should cover, I would have to foot the bill.

No in all fairness they said in the second phone call that they would do the boosters but it would be at my own risk, if she caught one of the things the vaccine should cover, I would have to foot the bill.

Sure you would have to foot the bill anyway?? That doesnt make sense what they said? :confused:

If your dog caught Parvo or Lepto and got sick, you would still have to pay for their treatment so what they are saying doesnt make sense.

I know doesn't make much sense to me either.

• Advertisement

I know doesn't make much sense to me either.

No it doesn't. If that's the case sure every dog that was vaccinated and then got sick with kennel cough, or Parvo etc wouldn't have to pay the bill.

No it doesn't. If that's the case sure every dog that was vaccinated and then got sick with kennel cough, or Parvo etc wouldn't have to pay the bill.

I think what the vet is saying (rightly or wrongly) is that unless the course is re-started, then the dog may not be covered, and so they may get sick. If the course was re-started, the dog wouldn't contract parvo, so there would be no bill to pay?

muddypaws wrote: »
    I think what the vet is saying (rightly or wrongly) is that unless the course is re-started, then the dog may not be covered, and so they may get sick. If the course was re-started, the dog wouldn't contract parvo, so there would be no bill to pay?

Ok, that would make sense. Thanks Muddy ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 235 ✭✭Aru

if a dog who has been full vaccinated and correctly vaccinated catches an illness ment covered by the vaccination the vaccine manufacturers tend to cover the costs of vet treatment for the pet.Insurance policys also tend to insist on the vaccine manufactor's guidelines being followed as well and can try to get out of paying for issues if they are not.

However your dog should only needs the lepto booster's redone at 5 years not the full dhppi as it is on a 3 year program.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Sobko

I'm curious if you do not give your dogs the annual booster once they have reached the age of 2 that the insurance will refuse to pay out on a claim?

Sobko wrote: »
    I'm curious if you do not give your dogs the annual booster once they have reached the age of 2 that the insurance will refuse to pay out on a claim?

If the manufacturers recommendations are every 3 years, why would they not pay out? Maybe ask the vet if you can keep a copy of the paperwork that comes with the vaccinations, where it states that protocol in case its ever needed. Double check your insurance policy, maybe it doesn't specify annual boosters, but uses another term, such as 'up to date'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Sobko wrote: »

Mine says that they need to have an annual check up and if we don't get the boosters then they won't pay out for an illness that could have been prevented by the booster.

For us in our vet only lepto and kennel cough are annual boosters - the rest are every three years.

tk123 wrote: »
    Mine says that they need to have an annual check up and if we don't get the boosters then they won't pay out for an illness that could have been prevented by the booster.

For us in our vet only lepto and kennel cough are annual boosters - the rest are every three years.

Annual check up, but does it also state annual boosters, or just boosters? Its only changed in the last year or so I think really, so insurance companies are probably slow to catch up :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

muddypaws wrote: »
    Annual check up, but does it also state annual boosters, or just boosters? Its only changed in the last year or so I think really, so insurance companies are probably slow to catch up :rolleyes:

I looked at the doc a few times before I found what I was looking for - the first thing on the list lol! :rolleyes::rolleyes:

1. Throughout the Policy Year You must take care of Your Pet, arrange and
    pay for Your Pet to have a yearly health check and dental examination and
    any Treatment normally recommended by a vet to prevent Illness or
    Injury. Failure to do so may affect payment of claims. Such Treatments
    may include neutering, descaling of teeth, worming, flea and tick
    Treatments, blood tests and screening, nail clipping, dewclaw removal,
    grooming, routine emptying of anal glands, removal of anal glands and
    use of pheromones and prescription diets.

2. You must arrange for Your Pet to be kept vaccinated against the following:
    Dogs: Distemper, hepatitis, leptospirosis, parvovirus and kennel cough.
    Cats: Feline infectious enteritis, feline leukaemia and cat flu.
    If You do not keep Your Pet vaccinated, We will not pay any claims that
    result from any Illness it must be vaccinated against

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 312 ✭✭DerTierarzt

Ah yeah, sure why would you bother taking the advice of professionals in animal healthcare over what you would like to hear/is more convenient from an online forum?

I'll break it down for you:

1) vaccination varies from year to year, core vaccinations are against distemper, adenovirus and parvovirus. In Ireland all three of these are lumped together in the same vaccination powder. Interestingly one of them, distemper, provokes such a strong immune response one innoculation greater than 4 months of age provides lifelong immunity.

2) a non-core vaccination is leptospirosis, more commonly known as Weil's disease if it affects humans (a bacteria transmitted in the urine of rodents). As this is a vaccination against a bacteria, to provide initial immunity 2 innoculations 3-6 weeks apart (manufacturers generally advise 4 weeks apart) are required, thereafter every 12 months to maintain immunity. It is ubiquitous in Ireland and the UK and a zoonotic disease, hence it is treated as a core vaccination in this country.

3) the same can be said for kennel cough (or infectious tracheobronchitis as it is more correctly called), but it is risk-based whether this vaccination is administered. Quite an interesting one, ideally the intranasal route is preferred, and takes 3 weeks to provide immunity against a bacteria and virus involved in the disease (there are roughly 8 different aetiological agents) as long as the animal is over 4 weeks old (a pattern here, the immune system matures at this time).

4) the only other vaccination is against rabies, but we haven't had rabies here since 1922 and is only really required for travel purposes.

It's quite an interesting area, there are lots of other vaccinations (most of them with poor efficacy) available, and the most recent global take on the use of veterinary vaccines can be found here.

All the best with your pet, and you're absolutely right, none of these are obligatory. But it's best to protect your pet, and if anything the additional nominal fee for the vaccinations above what a regular consultation would be is worth it for the check-up alone.

• Advertisement

Well I went back to the start she has to get her other injection in 2 weeks time. In all it cost 116 although I told my parents not to bother with kennel cough or flee treatment, they had no issue with spending the money's do got both, that was 70 more then required.

Advertisement