Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WWE PG Era is so weak

• 30-03-2015 2:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,265 ✭✭✭✭

There has been probably loads of threads about this but I'm a casual enough viewer over the last 10 years and everytime I watch the current format it's just so weak.

Wrestling for me as a kid was about the violence, the ridiculous characters, enthralling promos and backstage cuts. It was edgy and cool now its just boring. From what I see creative still have to roll out the old men to fill the big moments.

We can never have the attitude era back I don't think it would work today but man I don't know how the kids are into this today. Its just so clean cut and wholesome. My little cousin was telling me about John Cena about 5 years ago and how cool he was (I knew about him), I threw on Austin vs McMahon for him and he was stunned how fun it was. 10 year old kid like.

I watched last night like I do every year and to see people rating it as one of the best Mania's is a damning indictment of todays product.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭Caovyn Lineah

You obviously dont understand just how huge a BUSINESS the WWE is nowadays, they have sponsors to answer to so theres no way they could have the Attitude era again, its too family orientated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,265 ✭✭✭✭rob316

You obviously dont understand just how huge a BUSINESS the WWE is nowadays, they have sponsors to answer to so theres no way they could have the Attitude era again, its too family orientated.

Ya sorry pushed the post button before I got to that bit.

WWE is probably bigger than ever commercially and the PG rating change has helped them but they alienated the older generation. I'd have no problem watching it again if it was fun regardless of age, its like any TV show its just entertainment.

Why didn't they go PG-13 atleast, it just lacks so much. The biggest problem I see is stock characters, as you are very limited on how you can develop them.

I think Lesnar is excellent, but even he is from the tail end of the attitude era. But can you honestly see a single current WWE star rise to level of a Rock, Stone Cold or Triple H?

rob316 wrote: »

WWE is probably bigger than ever commercially and the PG rating change has helped them but they alienated the older generation. I'd have no problem watching it again if it was fun regardless of age, its like any TV show its just entertainment.

Wrestlemania last night was loads of fun for me, im in my mid 30s and loved the Attitude era. Coincidentally im watching the Attitude documentary on the Network right now, i had forgotten just how often women in the crowd ripped their tops off. Raw would be taken off the air if that happened nowadays.

Mark Henry having a threesome with Terri and Jacqueline, theres no way it would be allowed now. Its a shame but its a totally different business nowadays.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭Tugboats

They haven't alienated the older generation. They are constantly pandering to them by wheeling out HHH, Taker, Rock, DX and NWO

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Palo Alto

The Attitude Era was far more childish anyways. I think they tell better stories now when they put in the effort.

• Advertisement

Tugboats wrote: »
    They haven't alienated the older generation. They are constantly pandering to them by wheeling out HHH, Taker, Rock, DX and NWO

There is nothing wrong with a bit of nostalgia every now and again and Wrestlemania is the perfect place for it.

Just like in 20 years time, they will have the likes of Daniel Bryan come out on certain occasions.

Wrestlemania last night was loads of fun for me, im in my mid 30s and loved the Attitude era. Coincidentally im watching the Attitude documentary on the Network right now, i had forgotten just how often women in the crowd ripped their tops off. Raw would be taken off the air if that happened nowadays.

Mark Henry having a threesome with Terri and Jacqueline, theres no way it would be allowed now. Its a shame but its a totally different business nowadays.

Oh ya the Attitude era when the Monday night wars were going was outrageous and I know it wouldn't stand today, but they have gone in a totally different extreme.

Palo Alto wrote: »
    The Attitude Era was far more childish anyways. I think they tell better stories now when they put in the effort.

It was far from childish, the early and mid 90's was childish. The Attitude era was aimed at 16-30 year olds.

There is nothing wrong with a bit of nostalgia every now and again and Wrestlemania is the perfect place for it.

Just like in 20 years time, they will have the likes of Daniel Bryan come out on certain occasions.

Its over done. Wrestlemania is their biggest platform and a chance to get and keep new fans. You tune into Raw a week or two after Mania and the people they wasted massive amounts of time on at Mania are nowhere to be seen.

But hey on the plus side a guy in his 30s who spent a fortune on a ringside ticket gets to mark out:rolleyes:

Not at all, it far more adult. A comment like that would suggest it was before your time possibly.

• Advertisement

Its over done. Wrestlemania is their biggest platform and a chance to get and keep new fans. You tune into Raw a week or two after Mania and the people they wasted massive amounts of time on at Mania are nowhere to be seen.

But hey on the plus side a guy in his 30s who spent a fortune on a ringside ticket gets to mark out:rolleyes:

Are you talking about Brock Lesnar?

Are you talking about Brock Lesnar?

No im talking about Rock, HHH, Sting, Undertaker, DX, Nwo

No im talking about Rock, HHH, Sting, Undertaker, DX, Nwo

You could very easily include Brock in that comment you made though. How many Raws has he been on since beating Cena last year?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,799 ✭✭✭lertsnim

More childish? Power bombing pensioners through tables, someone having sex with a corpse. Incredibly childish altogether.

You could very easily include Brock in that comment you made though. How many Raws has he been on since beating Cena last year?

Im not a fan of Brock but hes relevant to the show regardless of often he appears.

Did you see nothing wrong with HHH getting 60 minutes of TV time last night?

It was far from childish, the early and mid 90's was childish. The Attitude era was aimed at 16-30 year olds.

I'm aware of that, I suppose I was conflating childishness with stupidity. T&A, rude words and violence is about as far from mature as I can imagine.

I liked elements of it, but I actually prefer the product now. Someone like Wyatt or Rollins thrives under the restrictions placed by a PG Audience, it makes them be more creative as a result.

I can't recall many stories of the Attitude Era as good as the Yes Movement, the list goes on.

We have it better now than we have ever had.

lertsnim wrote: »
    More childish? Power bombing pensioners through tables, someone having sex with a corpse. Incredibly childish altogether.

It is, actually. It's puerile and stupid. They tell far more nuanced stories now.

Im not a fan of Brock but hes relevant to the show regardless of often he appears.

Did you see nothing wrong with HHH getting 60 minutes of TV time last night?

I had no problem with his match and although i felt the thing with Ronda was completely pointless it is most likely building up to a match with The Rock next year. He is on Raw every week, he is going to be running the company soon so i cant see how you are labelling him with NWO, Rock and DX.

They wheel them out because none of the current lot can match up to them, not even in the same league.

20 years from now will you remember Bryan, Reigns, Cena even Orton?
    Guys like Rock, Austin, HHH, Taker, Y2J are pretty unforgettable in comparison.

All the characters today just seem overly scripted, they aren't given any creative freedom.

I can't recall many stories of the Attitude Era as good as the Yes Movement, the list goes on.

Austin?
    Foley winning the title for the first time?
    Austin and Rock feud over the IC title?
    The original run of DX?

Thats 4 off the top of my head without even thinking.

• Advertisement

They wheel them out because none of the current lot can match up to them, not even in the same league.

All the characters today just seem overly scripted, they aren't given any creative freedom.

Thats a terrible attitude you have.

You can say that but what hes saying is true.

In 20 years can you honestly see Reigns, Orton etc being spoken about in the same breath as we talk about Rock, Austin, Taker, HHH?

Right this minute, the only 3 i see getting close to that level are Cena, Bryan and Brock.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Sergeant Slaughter, Hacksaw Jim Duggan, Doink, the Iron Sheik, Rowdy Roddy Piper, Hulk Hogan, Rick Flair, Dusty Rhodes, Pat Patterson, Gerald Briscoe, etc, have been getting called back for decades now. It's not a "WWE PG" phenomenon.

I'm aware of that, I suppose I was conflating childishness with stupidity. T&A, rude words and violence is about as far from mature as I can imagine.

I liked elements of it, but I actually prefer the product now. Someone like Wyatt or Rollins thrives under the restrictions placed by a PG Audience, it makes them be more creative as a result.

We have it better now than we have ever had.

:eek: How can you even type that.

Yes? sorry WHAT?

WWE Network, NJPW World, Lucha Underground, Chikara/PWG/ROH all on my laptop?

Every WWE/ECW/WCW PPV streaming?

Better produced documentaries?

Can't complain.

Forgot the best of all, NXT!

:eek: How can you even type that.

Yes? sorry WHAT?

When it comes to actual WRESTLERS, i agree with him. There is an embarassment of riches right now with the wrestling talent they have. Less characters of course but much better wrestling ability.

:confused: Explain

You can say that but what hes saying is true.

In 20 years can you honestly see Reigns, Orton etc being spoken about in the same breath as we talk about Rock, Austin, Taker, HHH?

Right this minute, the only 3 i see getting close to that level are Cena, Bryan and Brock.

Give the talent a chance instead of taking the easy way out by getting cheap pops by wheeling out the old boys. All this comparing and harping back to the old days needs to stop. Its over move on

Give the talent a chance instead of taking the easy way out by getting cheap pops by wheeling out the old boys. All this comparing and harping back to the old days needs to stop. Its over move on

I agree with you, it annoys me seeing Bryan and Ziggler being shat on basically.
    Do you mind if i ask, when did you start watching wwe?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Yes, I will remember Daniel Bryan. I'll remember Brock Lesnar.

I'll remember Seth Rollins. I'll remember Bray Wyatt, Kevin Owens, Sami Zayn, Randy Orton.

The rating doesn't matter. You don't need violence or gimmicks to have great wrestling. HBK vs Taker at WM25. Perfection.

The ending to the main event last night I won't forget anytime soon.

I'm as critical about the product as anyone but some people are seemingly not happy if they are not complaining.

I just wish they'd produce a product like that more often.

Advertisement