Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WWE PG Era is so weak

2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭Tugboats

I agree with you, it annoys me seeing Bryan and Ziggler being shat on basically.
    Do you mind if i ask, when did you start watching wwe?

Wrestlemania 4-18 was a wrestling fan. Stopped after that and only got back last year with the network

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭Caovyn Lineah

Tugboats wrote: »
    Wrestlemania 4-18 was a wrestling fan. Stopped after that and only got back last year with the network

Ok, i was going to ask if you were only a recent watcher if you think that in 20 years they bring out Bryan would you pop?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,203 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Don't know if it's true, but before the network launced it was said that WWE makes as much money as they did in the attitude era. So business is great for them.

That said, I miss the old days. Wrestling for me started to tank off after the Invasion angle in late 2001 / early 2002. Me and my brothers would watch it religiously for years each week but as time went by less and less. I also know so many others who said around this period was when they stopped watching as well.

Today's product is just missing something. It's hard to put a finger on it. Sure last nights mania was good. But the average ppv is not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,265 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Moneymaker wrote: »
    Yes, I will remember Daniel Bryan. I'll remember Brock Lesnar.

I'll remember Seth Rollins. I'll remember Bray Wyatt, Kevin Owens, Sami Zayn, Randy Orton.

The rating doesn't matter. You don't need violence or gimmicks to have great wrestling. HBK vs Taker at WM25. Perfection.

The ending to the main event last night I won't forget anytime soon.

I'm as critical about the product as anyone but some people are seemingly not happy if they are complaining.

I just wish they'd produce a product like that more often.

Brock Lesnar is the best, honestly without him top of the card there would be nothing to draw. He is absolute box office but again he is born in another era.

Ok, i was going to ask if you were only a recent watcher if you think that in 20 years they bring out Bryan would you pop?

I fully understand why they do but it doesn't make it right. Theres a misconception that wrestling is now for kids. That may be true at house shows and the TV shows but when it comes to big PPVs there is plenty of guys in their 30s who are buying the expensive tickets so they cater for them. These strange people in their 30s will chant NXT NXT but then wet themselves with excitement when Rock appears for 25minutes

Look at Kidd and Cesaro. They are potentially a great tag team and also very funny(from the backstage segments we've seen). How are people going to grow to like them when they are buried on a pre show?

Another missed opportunity was with Miz and Mizdow which will probably get settled at Extreme Rules or the PPV afterwards:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

I miss Gangrel vs Godfather matches too.

*Mideon runs in after 3 minutes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

Still, at least now when someone walks in while you're watching wrestling it's sponsored by Snickers or a film instead of lube and erectile dysfunction pills.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,938 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Still, at least now when someone walks in while you're watching wrestling it's sponsored by Snickers or a film instead of lube and erectile dysfunction pills.

Unless they walk in during a Miz segment! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭Concannon7

I just want good characters the are involed in good feuds that has good storytelling that leads to good wrestling matches. Seems that's often too much to ask for.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,938 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

I just want good characters the are involed in good feuds that has good storytelling that leads to good wrestling matches. Seems that's often too much to ask for.

Yea I'm pretty certain all Vince heard was Push Big Show, Turn Big Show, Fake Fire Big Show, make Roman Reigns look strong. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭irs

An File wrote: »
    Sergeant Slaughter, Hacksaw Jim Duggan, Doink, the Iron Sheik, Rowdy Roddy Piper, Hulk Hogan, Rick Flair, Dusty Rhodes, Pat Patterson, Gerald Briscoe, etc, have been getting called back for decades now. It's not a "WWE PG" phenomenon.

A lot of these were brought back as goofy novelty acts, they weren't dominating the biggest show of the year the way they have over the last decade. During the Attitude Era they couldn't bring back Hogan or Savage because they were in WCW so they had to live in the present. They couldn't have too much 80's nostalgia because the people that made that era were now competing against WWF. It would have been much harder for The Rock or Austin to become major stars if every Wrestlemania had been full of Hogan-Bret or Flair-HBK dream matches.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,265 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Couple of posters said the roster is stacked and has better actual wrestlers than ever. Where are they though? Is it a case of it been badly managed?

Can these guys put on a better match than Jericho, Angle, Benoit or HBK? 4 of those put on some of the best wrestling matches I have ever seen.

What is up with the tag team division? Why is it so poor that it was on the undercard of WM? The days of Dudleyz, Hardyz, E+C were amazing.

rob316 wrote: »
    Couple of posters said the roster is stacked and has better actual wrestlers than ever. Where are they though? Is it a case of it been badly managed?

Can these guys put on a better match than Jericho, Angle, Benoit or HBK? 4 of those put on some of the best wrestling matches I have ever seen.

What is up with the tag team division? Why is it so poor that it was on the undercard of WM? The days of Dudleyz, Hardyz, E+C were amazing.

There was no time for the tag match to be on Mania because The Rock had to talk for HHH and Stephaine for 25 minutes.

A potentially classic match between Orton and Rollins only got 15 minutes because the HHH and the his buddies needed 27 minutes to embarrass Sting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Ken Shamrock

Everyone see's things differently and likes different things, do I think today's product is better than what is was 15 years ago? Awh Hell No!

But, there is a lot to be said for what they are doing, from a business standpoint it's never been better. From a wrestling standpoint it's at a fairly high level. Storylines are weak,characters aren't great, promo's are nearly non existent and the amount of advertisement's are soul destroying, not to mention all this cringy reality sh1te. But that's the way things are outside of WWE as well. Most people who hate the current product are guy's who were brought up on the 80's and 90's stuff like myself, from a different ERA.

Kids today 5-15 or whatever can relate to social media,reality tv shows etc because all that stuff is relevant to them in their ERA. Do I like it no? But I can understand and respect it. I personally don't watch the product anymore apart from WM and RR every year but saying they have sh1t wrestlers is scandalous, Bryan,Ziggler,Rollins,Ambrose,Cesaro etc, are they Michaels,Jericho,Benoit and Angle? No but again different time different style. Something a lot of people don't realize is how limited the wrestlers are today on what they can and can't do.

Anyway the point I'm trying to make Is I'm a 90's guy and I loved that time period and the early 00's I don't like today's product but I'm not naive enough to think things have just gotten worse, worse wrestlers, worse writers etc It's just the way things go. The product 10 years from now is going to be entirely different again and that will continue forever. I enjoyed WM, certainly not an 8/10 but it surprised me. As someone mentioned If they could produce that product every week It would be worth watching but then they wouldn't have the kids and the sponsors and those all important dollars. It is what It is.

Advertisement