Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog ripping out hair

• 30-03-2015 2:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32

We got a dog from the DSPCA in September and he has been tearing his hair out in one specific spot. Vet has no idea what it is, he was put on steroids which worked mildly but only until he finished the course. We have tried a collar but he is able to remove it. Currently we are using a tea tree oil cream for skin irritation (for dogs). Would anyone please have any idea about this. he is incredibly gentle but seems mostly to rip at it when he's alone, maybe anxiety?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

nichleih wrote: »
    We got a dog from the DSPCA in September and he has been tearing his hair out in one specific spot. Vet has no idea what it is, he was put on steroids which worked mildly but only until he finished the course. We have tried a collar but he is able to remove it. Currently we are using a tea tree oil cream for skin irritation (for dogs). Would anyone please have any idea about this. he is incredibly gentle but seems mostly to rip at it when he's alone, maybe anxiety?

It kinda sounds like anxiety... possibly a learned behaviour...

how long is he alone per day? When you leave him do you leave something to occupy him for a bit?

have you looked at rescue remedy for dogs, i used it in the early days with my guy and it did help relax him somewhat.

http://www.dapdiffuser.com/

The DAP plug in will help relax him also... I've heard excellent reports about it although never used it myself.

what area is he pulling the hair out?

Advertisement