Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WiFi enabled NAS server

Options
  • 30-03-2015 2:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭

Was wondering if anyone can recomend a good WiFi enabled NAS server.

I have a music system in another room from my WiFi router and want to be able to remotely access music on NAS wirelessly from a laptop.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

CFC1969 wrote: »
    Was wondering if anyone can recomend a good WiFi enabled NAS server.

I have a music system in another room from my WiFi router and want to be able to remotely access music on NAS wirelessly from a laptop.

Does your router have a usb port, then all you need us a usb hard drive

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭CFC1969

Thanks for the reply Mass Debater,

Problem with that is, I want the NAS in one room, and the WiFi router in the other.

The NAS will plug into DAC device, and into Amplifier

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

Thanks for the reply Mass Debater,

Problem with that is, I want the NAS in one room, and the WiFi router in the other.

Nearly all NAS drives have ethernet, not wireless. Mobile wireless drives don't connect to your wifi, they create a new network you connect your tablet/smartphone to on the go.

There is another possibly better way, plug usb drive or ethernet NAS into router to give you network storage and get a Raspberry Pi or other device to connect to amp etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Nearly all NAS drives have ethernet, not wireless.
    With Synology NAS's you can connect a supported USB WiFi dongle and use that to connect it to your network. You can also configure it as a secondary Wireless AP bridged to your wired network, or as a Wireless router connected to a modem.

You have to the initial setup via a hardwired connection though.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,994 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

You might need to be a little bit more clear on what you plan there. What is plugging into what exactly?

• Advertisement
Advertisement