Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can't stay asleep

Options
  • 30-03-2015 3:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭

Hey,

I go to bed usually at around midnight and I wake usually at around 5.30 am, sometimes even 4 or 4.30, but then the anxious feeling that I won't be able to get back to sleep, means I'm too stressed to get back to sleep so I have to go to work with sometimes only 3 or 4 hours sleep. On the odd occasion, when I do wake I manage to go back to sleep but this doesn't happen too often unfortunately

Sometimes when I wake it's because I have to go to the toilet, so I stopped drinking anything for HOURS before bedtime but I'd still wake with a need to go. However, this isn't always the reason I wake.

Comments

I find I wake early if I'm stressed at work, or otherwise anxious. I generally look for ways of cutting stressors in my life and when I'm managing better, my sleep improves in quality and quantity.

If it's ongoing, it's worth chatting to your doctor about it to see if they can help. Prolonged sleep deprivation makes everything worse, and becomes a vicious circle in itself. In my experience it's often a symptom of a wider problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭heldel00

I suffered with this before. Used to panic when I'd wake and think "oh god I have to be up in three hours, I'm gonna be wrecked". I'd keep watching the clock and an hour later I'd be worrying "now iv only two hours left to try and sleep ..."
    Took the clock out of the room and have alarm set on the phone so it turns itself on at set time. When I wake up iv no idea what time it is so iv nothing to panic about!

• Registered Users Posts: 11 someissues

"I'd keep watching the clock and an hour later I'd be worrying "now iv only two hours left to try and sleep ..."

LOL, it made me laugh (sorry) in an otherwise difficult, anxious time. This is exactly what I do at times. Thanks

Advertisement