Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carlow/Kilkenny By-election

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,713 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

RobertKK wrote: »
    I'm not voting FF in the by election, but the current government basically implemented FF's bailout program with a few tweaks and help from Greek concessions.
    I believe it has worked and the current government cannot take all the credit for the turn around in the economy.

Bobby Aylward is so unappealing as is their party leader. They need to disappear.

Voting McKee/Renua.

I don't believe SF will get Ms Funchion elected. Carlow/Kilkenny is not a left wing constituency.

Even bigger fool, FF deserve a vote over Renua....

• Registered Users Posts: 19,414 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Even bigger fool, FF deserve a vote over Renua....

"Renua" are a just a bunch of disgruntled attention seekers who were rejected by their own parties. A complete rag bag with no policies in particular apart from the usual sound bites of "new approaches/thinking"...you could nearly script the whole thing at this stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,641 ✭✭✭andyman

Renua are essentially the new PDs.

The rumours of McKee approaching Sinn Fein about joining them don't do him as a person any favours either. I know he's denied those claims but still, Kathleen Funchion has confirmed it as has Joe Malone.

Just couldn't trust a person with all of that hanging over him.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,067 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Its quite odd in my view to be strongly against the marriage equality referendum on the one hand but then on the other hand to vote for McKee, an openly gay man who is a strong proponent of marriage equality.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 33,749 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Its quite odd in my view to be strongly against the marriage equality referendum on the one hand but then on the other hand to vote for McKee, an openly gay man who is a strong proponent of marriage equality.

What is quite odd is some think you can't vote for a gay man if you vote against SSM.
    I have no problem with gay people and have spoken with some gay people on twitter who are against SSM.
    It is ridiculous how people have to put one as being against gay people if they don't support the changing of what marriage means.
    If the electorate vote for it, fine, I won't be making a big deal of it.

All the parties are for same sex marriage, Renua at least allows people in their party to have their own brain on the matter and not a collective brain controlled by a whip.
    I don't care if the candidate is gay, and it would not influence my voting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

It is ridiculous how people have to put one as being against gay people if they don't support the changing of what marriage means.

Not necessarily against gay people (but more likely to be), but definitely against equality. Not sure that's something to trumpet though. Unless there's a compelling reason to be against gay marriage that I haven't been informed of. If so, I'd be happy to be enlightened.

Einhard wrote: »
    Not necessarily against gay people (but more likely to be), but definitely against equality. Not sure that's something to trumpet though. Unless there's a compelling reason to be against gay marriage that I haven't been informed of. If so, I'd be happy to be enlightened.

By election is not about me, nor is this thread. I am not going to take it off topic and make it about me as some have tried to do.

People can vote for who they want and the same in the referendum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

By election is not about me, nor is this thread. I am not going to take it off topic and make it about me as some have tried to do.

Maybe you should run for public office.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

Of course they can. Who's suggesting otherwise?

catbear wrote: »
    Maybe you should run for public office.

I am too shy with a fear of public speaking...I also hate the sound of my own voice, so would be unfair to inflict it on others...I admire people who do have the courage to put themselves up before the voters.
    Call me a coward as I would not be able for it.
    Einhard wrote: »
    Of course they can. Who's suggesting otherwise?

Joeytheparrot, who questioned why one against SSM would vote for an openly gay man in favour of SSM.
    When in fact the whole issue of SSM will be over on that day, it ignores all the other parties are for it, but Renua hasn't imposed any view for or against on it's members.
    I am not going to vote for a party that imposes social views on it's members. I don't care if the member of Renua are for or against it. People should have the choice to go with what they believe on a social issue, not have it imposed on them with penalties if they disagree.
    Probably one reason both FF and FG are not doing better in the polls, their voters tend to be on the more conservative side and here these parties are voting for SSM and FG for abortion and Micheal Martin had to give a free vote on abortion given how out of touch he is with reality, when he tried to impose his view on the party.

We got rid of Liam Aylward, we don't need his brother. Phil Hogan is finally gone, time to replace him with new blood.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭kikel

I see one of the members of Paddy Mckees campaign team is the same person that ran the facebook page CAS for Kilkenny. This same page contained death threats against Kilkenny citizens. I wonder was Paddy McKee involved in the CAS for Kilkenny Facebook page. CAS for Kilkenny always had a lot of news from the council before anyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,895 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

University of Limerick has a done voter advice questionnaire for the bye-election http://whichcandidate.ie/ my closest match didn't surprise me but interesting to see all the candidates answers of those more likely to win.

you compare their choices to yours, and they have clairfying comments, only two Inds didn't do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭jimmyw

University of Limerick has a done voter advice questionnaire for the bye-election http://whichcandidate.ie/ my closest match didnt' surprise me but interesting to see all the candidates answers.

Interesting . I think that's good, we should vote on issues, but the candidate does come into play too.

jimmyw wrote: »
    Interesting . I think that's good, we should vote on issues, but the candidate does come into play too.
    which candidates policies do you agree with but wouldn't vote for?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭jimmyw

which candidates policies do you agree with but wouldn't vote for?

Not many really.

Did you hear the candidates on the Claire Byrne show on radio 1 today? I thought Noel G would blow a gasket shouting at the Labour fella.....:P.

Don't rate that lad with the irish language name talking gibberish, even if he has bipolar.

jimmyw wrote: »
    Not many really.
    not many ? but which one?

what did you mean by this 'I think that's good, we should vote on issues, but the candidate does come into play too.'

try this questionaire its by http://www.smartvote.ie/ who were developing a smart phone voter advice app and then they colabborated with UL to use their questions but they also have star/importance rating

I think they're an atrocious bunch of candidates. Some can barely string a sentence together, let alone a valid argument.

road_high wrote: »
    I think they're an atrocious bunch of candidates. Some can barely string a sentence together, let alone a valid argument.

The staunch Republican....is the worst.
    Or maybe the guy who wants us out of the EU.
    Or the far left who have no valid policies.

The staunch Republican....is the worst.
    Or maybe the guy who wants us out of the EU.
    Or the far left who have no valid policies.

That's the one I was thinking of thinking, Holohan or something. And the FF one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

I did that survey and Gardner topped it for me yet I know diddly about her!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

She was out and about on Thursday, saw her outside the castle with a load of helpers in the same t-shirts.

she's a woo merchant, a homeopath etc

http://www.bredagardner.com/main_page.html

There's no point electing one of these independents at this stage of the govt. they will have zero say or influence anywhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

There's no point electing one of these independents at this stage of the govt. they will have zero say or influence anywhere.

But she has voodoo powers, or something.

yeah uninfluential independents like catherine murphy...

yeah uninfluential independents like catherine murphy...

Exactly. Who? She ain't a minister or an ear in the corridors of power so about as useful as a....
    Unless you're cutting a deal like Healy Rae or Tony Gregory to support a govt you're just another face in the crowd in Dail eireann. To contemplate electing one in a term less than a year is an even bigger waste of time and effort.

But she has voodoo powers, or something.

She seems a nice lady but as for bringing inward investment to the area or any such goodies you can forget about it.
    This is what I elect tds for.

She seems a nice lady but as for bringing inward investment to the area or any such goodies you can forget about it.
    This is what I elect tds for.
    you've lost your minister you know you can't replace him.

you've lost your minister you know you can't replace him.

Somehow I think Phil hogan is replaceable !!

• Advertisement

Somehow I think Phil hogan is replaceable !!
    i mean you are not getting another minister but another back bencher

Advertisement