Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carlow/Kilkenny By-election

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭bloopy

kikel wrote: »
    I see one of the members of Paddy Mckees campaign team is the same person that ran the facebook page CAS for Kilkenny. This same page contained death threats against Kilkenny citizens. I wonder was Paddy McKee involved in the CAS for Kilkenny Facebook page. CAS for Kilkenny always had a lot of news from the council before anyone else.

As far as I could find out, the pro cas page was run by a former Druid.
    Am I thinking of the same page or was there a different one?

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Threadhead

There's YES Kilkenny pages run by the same person who is working closely with McKee. It's very misleading as they are creating the impression that they are the Kilkenny representatives for the Yes campaign. The official representatives are Yes Equality Kilkenny. McKee and his stooge are pushing the Renua agenda and McKee's election campaign under the auspices of Yes Kilkenny.

And from what I've heard, said stooge was the one who issued alleged death threats.

Surprisingly enough, this is not the druid. He's his own brand of crazy.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭kikel

Threadhead wrote: »
    There's YES Kilkenny pages run by the same person who is working closely with McKee. It's very misleading as they are creating the impression that they are the Kilkenny representatives for the Yes campaign. The official representatives are Yes Equality Kilkenny. McKee and his stooge are pushing the Renua agenda and McKee's election campaign under the auspices of Yes Kilkenny.

And from what I've heard, said stooge was the one who issued alleged death threats.

Surprisingly enough, this is not the druid. He's his own brand of crazy.

The stooge didn't issue the death threats but he is the admin of the page that contained the death threats toward kilkenny citizens. He refused to remove them according to a chamber of commerce board member i was talking to. Think they have been removed now as mckee is contesting the by election. You have to wonder did Mckee have an involvement with the same Facebook page that contained the death threats. The facebook page always had information that the council had before anyone else. hmmmmm.

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Threadhead

Then there's the defection, the defaced posters, the claiming expenses despite vowing not to claim expenses, etc...

There's a lot of dubious things surrounding McKee in a short amount of time.

Threadhead wrote: »
    Then there's the defection, the defaced posters, the claiming expenses despite vowing not to claim expenses, etc...

There's a lot of dubious things surrounding McKee in a short amount of time.

Oh tell me more. Defaced posters? Expenses?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

He's not the only one, I noticed a large Breda Gardner Poster near where I live was disappeared while the Bobby Aylward beside it went untouched.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,896 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

kikel wrote: »
    Oh tell me more. Defaced posters? Expenses?

he said he wouldn't claim expenses but took the extra allowance for chairing a committee, which he said was compatible with his pledge, I for one am not impressed with any councillor trying to buy votes with a no expenses pledge, think they should get extra money for extra committee work, you'd have to pay me to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,777 ✭✭✭highgiant1985

he said he wouldn't claim expenses but took the extra allowance for chairing a committee, which he said was compatible with his pledge, I for one am not impressed with any councillor trying to buy votes with a no expenses pledge, think they should get extra money for extra committee work, you'd have to pay me to do it.

I think you are unreasonable here. An allowance and an expense are two different things.

An expenses is usually a cost incurred in the performance of the duties of the employment and are directly related to the 'nature of the employee's employment'

source: http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/it/employee-expenses.html

The allowance is a payment for an extra duty / extra work. If you take on extra work out or duties its not unusual for your employer to normally reward you for doing so as well (potentially via over time payments or bonus payments)

so he has kept his word and it seems completely fair to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,896 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

I think you are unreasonable here. An allowance and an expense are two different things.

An expenses is usually a cost incurred in the performance of the duties of the employment and are directly related to the 'nature of the employee's employment'

The allowance is a payment for an extra duty / extra work. If you take on extra work out or duties its not unusual for your employer to normally reward you for doing so as well (potentially via over time payments or bonus payments)

I wasn't giving out about him just explaining the criticism, as I said I don't have a problem with it, I'm more skeptical of those making a 'no expenses pledge', although he may have managed just to annoy everyone.

there was some article about but I can't find it now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭Dan Chipowski

Vincent Browne made interesting viewing tonight.

Absolutely hopeless the lot of them.

• Advertisement

Vincent Browne made interesting viewing tonight.

Absolutely hopeless the lot of them.

It was difficult to watch...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Who came across best then, out of a bad lot?

Who came across best then, out of a bad lot?

I thought Breda Gardner and Adrienne Wallace came across well. I wouldn't have considered either of them before to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,714 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

I thought Breda Gardner and Adrienne Wallace came across well. I wouldn't have considered either of them before to be honest.

Please don't vote this loons in.

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Please don't vote this loons in.

I'm voting for McKee but thought that the two mentioned came across well out of a bad debate. Maybe it's because I didn't have much in way of expectation from them to begin with.

latest odds from paddy power are

q8KMVG.png

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Toblerone1978

I'll have to disagree with you on this one. When someone works overtime and get paid, it's get taxed. That person may also be entitled to allowances for lunch, mileage, etc to cover additional expenses he incurred to work late which probably isn't taxed - this is quite common in the public sector. The extra allowance is not pay for working late, it's compensation for extra expenses incurred to work late

McKee got an extra allowances for the extra expenses he would incurred as part of his additional role. It's definitely considered to be an allowance for expenses because it's not taxed - if it was overtime, it would be taxed.

To be honest, I'm with expectationlost on this one, I think it's a silly premise to base your election on. Not declaring your expenses will only have a neglible effect on the local econonmy and while it's a nice gesture, it shouldn't be a person's headline act for voting for them! I'd be more interested in their competent and genuine integrity.

I think McKee's stance on claiming this expense this was sly and misleading the public - not only is he technically wrong (not great from a solicitor apprentice) but worse, he's morally wrong and lied to the public too. It's very convenience for him to say he considered it to be overtime (even though if he's anyway competent he would know it not) and I think it's prove he will twist anything to suit himself rather than been genuine on it.

McKee was also anti-CAS before the local election and within a month of been elected, he did an interview to say the protest should be dropped for legal reasons. Not exactly one to battle for what he believes in! I see on smartvote.ie, he refrains from giving an opinon on CAS.

It's plain to see that McKee only really wants to serve himself. Not exactly uncommon for a politian but let not pretend otherwise!

I think the one thing we can all agree on is every body loves Toblerone :D.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭jimmyw

Why is that Daithi chap running for the seat, he is so annoying.VB nearly had to throw him out last night :D He was still at it today on KCLR, though I suppose they all were.........:P

I'll have to disagree with you on this one. When someone works overtime and get paid, it's get taxed. That person may also be entitled to allowances for lunch, mileage, etc to cover additional expenses he incurred to work late which probably isn't taxed - this is quite common in the public sector. The extra allowance is not pay for working late, it's compensation for extra expenses incurred to work late

McKee got an extra allowances for the extra expenses he would incurred as part of his additional role. It's definitely considered to be an allowance for expenses because it's not taxed - if it was overtime, it would be taxed.

To be honest, I'm with expectationlost on this one, I think it's a silly premise to base your election on. Not declaring your expenses will only have a neglible effect on the local econonmy and while it's a nice gesture, it shouldn't be a person's headline act for voting for them! I'd be more interested in their competent and genuine integrity.

I think McKee's stance on claiming this expense this was sly and misleading the public - not only is he technically wrong (not great from a solicitor apprentice) but worse, he's morally wrong and lied to the public too. It's very convenience for him to say he considered it to be overtime (even though if he's anyway competent he would know it not) and I think it's prove he will twist anything to suit himself rather than been genuine on it.

McKee was also anti-CAS before the local election and within a month of been elected, he did an interview to say the protest should be dropped for legal reasons. Not exactly one to battle for what he believes in! I see on smartvote.ie, he refrains from giving an opinon on CAS.

It's plain to see that McKee only really wants to serve himself. Not exactly uncommon for a politian but let not pretend otherwise!

I think Ya hit the nail on the head on your description of mckee. He is a real flip flopper. The guy is so desperate to get elected he'd probably change his stance on the Marrage referendum if he felt it would increase his chances of getting elected.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Sliderman

McKee has a touch of class, they all wear flip flops

I missed the radio panel discussion but sounds like it was interesting based on this! Did any one catch it?

http://www.thejournal.ie/bobby-aylward-overclaiming-expenses-2106138-May2015/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

I missed the radio panel discussion but sounds like it was interesting based on this! Did any one catch it?

http://www.thejournal.ie/bobby-aylward-overclaiming-expenses-2106138-May2015/

You would hope that's him screwed for this election and any sniff of public office generally but I wouldn't be too confident with Irish politics.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭mountcisco

You would hope that's him screwed for this election and any sniff of public office generally but I wouldn't be too confident with Irish politics.

Good to see him being outed. If I had a vote I'd give it to Adrienne Wallace because she kicked his ass. That being said Aylward is probably home and dry, he's 4/7 on Paddypower. What a country. :confused::confused:

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Micheál Martin was in Carlow during the week canvassing with Alyward

• Registered Users Posts: 19,414 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Micheál Martin was in Carlow during the week canvassing with Alyward

Oh he's desperate to win this. Delighted to see Bobby shown up as a liar as well as a cash grabber. A pure gombeen if ever I heard one.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭1984baby

I hope he does not get elected but he is red hot favourite in the bookies and they're rarely wrong.
    I can't figure out how we all complain about politics and look for changes yet the same old faces keep getting elected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

mountcisco wrote: »
    That being said Aylward is probably home and dry, he's 4/7 on Paddypower. What a country. :confused::confused:
    Given that the Fianna Fail voter is a gambler (see property bubble) they're more likely to bet for Aylward.
    However given that the vote will be larger than a normal election because of the referendum I'd reduce those odds.
    I will conceded that the field being so wide a lot of that extra vote will be scattered and discounted early.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,749 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

catbear wrote: »
    Given that the Fianna Fail voter is a gambler (see property bubble) they're more likely to bet for Aylward.
    However given that the vote will be larger than a normal election because of the referendum I'd reduce those odds.
    I will conceded that the field being so wide a lot of that extra vote will be scattered and discounted early.

Turn out may not be as high as expected for the referendum. Carlow/Kilkenny may have the highest turn out due to by-election.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,414 ✭✭✭✭road_high

catbear wrote: »

Yea I think the transfers will be key. Will voters be willing to transfer to FF?? Not so sure. I can see the Labour guy doing quite well. Seems a good candidate. His transfers are likely to stay with the govt and roll to FG.
    With all these left wing candidates if labour stay ahead of them, he'll pick up (a lot of) those transfers.
    The votes are likely to be fairly middle class for noonan. Would these also favour FG?

That story about the expenses is a (just) blow to the Alyward campaign. Just more of the same FF to me.

I think Alyward will need to be thousands of votes ahead of fitzgerald at first count to take the seat.

Advertisement