Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carlow/Kilkenny By-election

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,414 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Micheál Martin was in Carlow during the week canvassing with Alyward

Seen this "working for Carlow" rubbish up on posters. He lives in South Kilkenny which could be 60-70 km from the town so I find that hard to swallow. And especially as he's been out of politics for 4 years, how could he really "be working" for anywhere ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

The Aylward fiefdom is certainly the southern part of the constituency.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭kikel

Aylward just announced on Twitter that Barry Cowen is committed to restoring Kilkenny town council. Personally think this is a real waste of money and is jobs for the boys. What are yer opinions Kilkenny folk ?

While he's at it he may as well promise another property bubble......

and an international airport.....

and a space programme.....

and a giant statue of Henry Shefflin standing over the motorway near Ballyhale...

kikel wrote: »
    Aylward just announced on Twitter that Barry Cowen is committed to restoring Kilkenny town council. Personally think this is a real waste of money and is jobs for the boys. What are yer opinions Kilkenny folk ?

Please tell me he said "town" council? Another few votes gone if he has.
    It's a desperate attempt to shore up some support in the city where Fitzgerald is going to be ahead.
    Total waste. The number of local authorities in such a small country is still mindnumbingly excessive.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭kikel

road_high wrote: »
    Please tell me he said "town" council? Another few votes gone if he has.
    It's a desperate attempt to shore up some support in the city where Fitzgerald is going to be ahead.
    Total waste. The number of local authorities in such a small country is still mindnumbingly excessive.

Whoops, he said 'city'

• Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

kikel wrote: »

https://twitter.com/bobby_aylward/status/600017293360418817

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭PaulKK

I can see the Labour guy doing quite well. Seems a good candidate.

You're joking right? I can see a green party type result for Labour in the next election, and as bad and all as the televised debates have been, this guy did not come across at all well. Terrible candidate IMO.

PaulKK wrote: »
    You're joking right? I can see a green party type result for Labour in the next election, and as bad and all as the televised debates have been, this guy did not come across at all well. Terrible candidate IMO.

Not saying he's amazing but he's better than I first thought he would be!
    None of them set the world alight really...

brettmirl wrote: »

This is a ridiculous idea. Typical of the Ff largesse of past govts. Jobs for the boys all round, worry about the cost later (if at all in their case).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

Not directly related to the by-election but....

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/john-mcguinness-says-he-will-vote-no-in-marriage-referendum-1.2217553

Fianna Fáil TD John McGuinness has confirmed he is voting No in the same-sex marriage referendum.

Mr McGuinness will not back the official party position on the lowering of the eligibility age of presidential candidates or on the marriage referendum.

The Carlow-Kilkenny TD was responding to a poll of all TDs and Senators by the Irish Times on their voting intentions. When contacted, the Public Accounts Committee chairman declined to elaborate further on his decision but confirmed he is voting No.

<Mod snip, too much text quoted>

What a plonker. Is this because of his tiff with FF and Michael Martin and just wants to oppose for the sake of it?
    Either way it puts him down in the same level as Mattie McGrath et al.
    I think he's ill judged as this is about equality. He could easily park his religion and do the right thing by a minority.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭DerryRed

What a plonker. Is this because of his tiff with FF and Michael Martin and just wants to oppose for the sake of it?
    Either way it puts him down in the same level as Mattie McGrath et al.
    I think he's ill judged as this is about equality. He could easily park his religion and do the right thing by a minority.

I'd say he's voting No because he's seen that the main demographic who usually vote for him are also voting No.

DerryRed wrote: »
    I'd say he's voting No because he's seen that the main demographic who usually vote for him are also voting No.
    In a nutshell. He's going full Lowry.

I wonder if Andrew is coming out for a No vote too, can't see that going down well with his on demographic.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

catbear wrote: »

I wonder if Andrew is coming out for a No vote too, can't see that going down well with his on demographic.

I only know this because my friend is out campeigning for the yes vote, but andrew was down at the public thing where the bus was taking selfies with people.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭DerryRed

catbear wrote: »

Andrew's Facebook profile would seem to indicate he is voting Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

IMG_1097_zps4kgwmanq.jpg

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Exactly my thoughts as well, thing is, he'd want to be careful.
    You can't a assume a certain age profile etc will vote no in this ref.

Plenty of farmers and people in their 70's and 80's i know of that plan on a yes vote,

The issue I see here is he's going against the party he's part of.

If people vote for FF they expect TD's to follow party policy's, its like voting for a AAA person and then you find they are pro-water charges.
    In this case a person could now have voted for McGunniess on the assumption he'd support marriage equality like FF do but now they've been conned and he's against it. A very concerning situation for any TD of any party if they go against what the party supports.

If you want to go with your own views etc then go independent and then people can vote for what you really stand for! Of course he won't, he needs the FF side of things to keep getting re-elected.
    The man should be ashamed,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭jimmyw

We have just had our local FG councillor bring Simon Coveney around to pitch for Fitzgerald at my very house here......I was really thrilled with that, fair play to him................................................................. ....................

.................not, yeah right:rolleyes:. Trying to soft soap us more like.Just aswell I was not speaking to him because I just may have lost it;):D

Cabaal wrote: »
    Exactly my thoughts as well, thing is, he'd want to be careful.
    You can't a assume a certain age profile etc will vote no in this ref.

Plenty of farmers and people in their 70's and 80's i know of that plan on a yes vote,

The issue I see here is he's going against the party he's part of.

If people vote for FF they expect TD's to follow party policy's, its like voting for a AAA person and then you find they are pro-water charges.
    In this case a person could now have voted for McGunniess on the assumption he'd support marriage equality like FF do but now they've been conned and he's against it. A very concerning situation for any TD of any party if they go against what the party supports.

If you want to go with your own views etc then go independent and then people can vote for what you really stand for! Of course he won't, he needs the FF side of things to keep getting re-elected.
    The man should be ashamed,

FF are a pack of dinosaurs. I'd love if FF hadn't publicly supported the yes vote (even though it was their usual half arsed effort) and it was passed on spite of them. Just to prove my initial point.

• Advertisement

jimmyw wrote: »
    We have just had our local FG councillor bring Simon Coveney around to pitch for Fitzgerald at my very house here......I was really thrilled with that, fair play to him................................................................. ....................

.................not, yeah right:rolleyes:. Trying to soft soap us more like.Just aswell I was not speaking to him because I just may have lost it;):D

Thrilled enough to come on here and post about it. I think someone was secretly delighted to have Simon swing by lol 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭jimmyw

Thrilled enough to come on here and post about it. I think someone was secretly delighted to have Simon swing by lol 😉

No flippin way, just goes to show how desperate they are.

any chance we could have a poll attached to this thread, an exit poll if you like.

How do you all think it'll go now? FF have thrown the kitchen sink at it. Hopefully the expenses scandal will scupper them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

TBH this bye election seems to have passed Carlow by.

There is almost no interest here that i can tell. Even the local papers seem to be giving it very little coverage.

A friend who is a FFer was saying that there is some anger over how little support Mr Alyward was getting from the FF team in Carlow.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

I didn't answer the door, heard the bell ring then thought it's either a politician or a sales person, neither of which I want to talk to, anyone who knows us goes straight to the back door.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

Owryan wrote: »
    TBH this bye election seems to have passed Carlow by.

There is almost no interest here that i can tell. Even the local papers seem to be giving it very little coverage.

A friend who is a FFer was saying that there is some anger over how little support Mr Alyward was getting from the FF team in Carlow.

They'd be right too. Alyward was a brutal choice and was the old FF guard dictating who should run. Like the Mafia.
    They had better choices such as McKee or Murnane oconnor seems a nice lady.
    That Wallace girl will do alright I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Why is that Daithi chap running for the seat, he is so annoying.VB nearly had to throw him out last night :D He was still at it today on KCLR, though I suppose they all were.........:P
    When someone can be more annoying than the host on the VB show, they're bad ...
    So Daddy says he's voting no, and the son seems to be hanging with the yes side?

An attempt to bring both sides with them? ... and if it comes up on the doorstep when the GE comes around, lots of noise about how principled they both are?

Perhaps I'm being too cynical ... :pac:

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Got this through the door today.....it has to be some sort of a pisstake?

Its so poorly written with tonnes of grammatical error and bullet points that simply don't make any sense that there's no way this person isn't running as some sort of a joke?

He seriously thinks ikea should come to Carlow/Kilkenny?

Most of it reads like some sort of random internet rant, not a political manifesto.

349564.jpg

349565.jpg

• Advertisement

My favourite is Smithwick's Brewery should be changed back into a brewery again. LOL. Can really see Diageo jumping for that one.
    Where do you start really. Poor guy has never heard of punctuation clearly. He seems to run every election without much success.

Advertisement