Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Suggestions for Something to do on Good Friday

Options
  • 30-03-2015 4:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭

A couple of visitors arriving on Good Friday and staying in a hotel in the city. Having just about got over the shock that they can't go to the pub on Good Friday, they would like to know what is open for them. They can't just eat a meal all day. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,321 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Why did you never tell them they couldn't get a drink on Good Friday?

Museums and that probably open.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Didn't know they were coming until they had it booked. In this instance I am totally innocent! Unfair of you to blame me.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

Sure they could buy booze on the plane or at duty free and drink it in their hotel room. Plus I am pretty sure the bar will be open in their hotel as well. It's a normal day for lots of places other than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭Get Real

Depending on what time they arrive in Dublin on Friday, they could do a walking tour/ red bus tour, then designate Saturday for a bit of an evening out?

They could also just stroll around St.Stephens green, visit Molly Malone, Dublin Castle, then Fire restaurant beside the Mansion house for an evening meal before retiring to the hotel bar (if there is one) which can serve residents alcohol as usual.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Red Hare

If they are residents in a hotel then they will be able to get a drink there. Otherwise most things are open on Good Friday.

If the weather is nice I'd recommend a Dublin Bay Cruise http://www.dublinbaycruises.com/

• Advertisement

Some helpful suggestions there. Walking tour I hadn't thought of. Great stuff, thanks all.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,728 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

The National Museum, National Gallery and National Library are all shut on Good Friday.

I would suggest taking a trip out to Howth perhaps on the 31 bus to the summit and going for a walk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

lxflyer wrote: »
    The National Museum, National Gallery and National Library are all shut on Good Friday.

I would suggest taking a trip out to Howth perhaps on the 31 bus to the summit and going for a walk.

If it's sunny, it can take ages to get to Sutton Cross with the traffic volume, so a better plan is to get the DART to Howth or Sutton and then get one of the 31/31A/31B busses (31A goes almost all the way around the hill so is the most scenic).

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Belfunk

Send them off to Howth as suggested and get them to do the Bog of Frogs Loop, should keep them busy for a few hours.

http://tcsinfoland.ireland.ie/content/Multimedia/Attachments/116_2Dhowth.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 14,303 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Start a picket outside mass in protest against ridiculous licensing laws.

Seriously though, I think BYOB restaurants still operate the same policy on Good Friday, so you can go to a restaurant with a few bottles of wine/beer bought the day before and pay the corkage.

• Advertisement

retalivity wrote: »

May I leave that to you then! ;)
    Seriously though, I think BYOB restaurants still operate the same policy on Good Friday, so you can go to a restaurant with a few bottles of wine/beer bought the day before and pay the corkage.

I'm told not every restaurant will be doing this. Never mind, they can look at the shops too in the afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭grimm2005

As other posters suggested, a quick hop on the dart to Howth and then doing one of the walks there. Another option is get the dart to Killiney and take in the views up at Killiney Hill followed by lunch in Dalkey.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZD4heGsPks

If you go to Howth, definitely try the fish and chips at Beshoffs, best in the world!

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭BetterThanThou

I figure I might as well throw this in here rather than creating a new thread. I made some plans with a friend to go out on Friday, neglecting the fact it's Good Friday. I've heard of a few nightclubs opening at 12am, is this the common practice? Would it be hard to find a nightclub that'll be open at 12am in Dublin City? What about on Thursday? Do nightclubs close at 12am or stay open till half 2 as usual?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,892 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Clubs on Thursday should close at 12. A small few may open after midnight Saturday morning but it's uncommon even though legal

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭xalot

OP, theatre's are open and serve drink on Good Friday so that could be something cultural if that is their kind of thing.

Also a lot of restaurants in the city centre will let you bring your own wine on Good Friday

tricky D wrote: »
    If it's sunny, it can take ages to get to Sutton Cross with the traffic volume, so a better plan is to get the DART to Howth or Sutton and then get one of the 31/31A/31B busses (31A goes almost all the way around the hill so is the most scenic).

Nicer trip on the bus though than on the DART even if it does take a little longer.

I don't think sun is going to be an issue on Friday.

Thanks everyone. This thread might be of benefit for every Good Friday then as I am sure this problem crops up every year for some.

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭Rachiee

Theatre and a meal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Blut2

L1011 wrote: »
    Clubs on Thursday should close at 12. A small few may open after midnight Saturday morning but it's uncommon even though legal

I've never understood why more clubs don't open at midnight. Its not like many people ever arrive in clubs before 00:00 anyway. Anywhere central like Coppers would surely be guaranteed a decent crowd.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭brick tamland

Greyhound racing @ Harold cross. Full bar open apparently

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Banjoxed

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    A couple of visitors arriving on Good Friday and staying in a hotel in the city. Having just about got over the shock that they can't go to the pub on Good Friday, they would like to know what is open for them. They can't just eat a meal all day. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Go to Belfast.

Blut2 wrote: »
    I've never understood why more clubs don't open at midnight. Its not like many people ever arrive in clubs before 00:00 anyway. Anywhere central like Coppers would surely be guaranteed a decent crowd.

Well for a start there won't be anyone in the city already in the bars, which is from where most clubs get their customers.

People would have to specifically go into town on the last bus inbound - I'm not sure that you would get the numbers required to make the clubs viable on that basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

People would have to specifically go into town on the last bus inbound - I'm not sure that you would get the numbers required to make the clubs viable on that basis.

You'd definitely get enough students.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,634 ✭✭✭bren2001

Well for a start there won't be anyone in the city already in the bars, which is from where most clubs get their customers.

If I am going to a club I would very rarely be in town before 12. Usually a taxi around that time, last dart or maybe the last bus. However, town would be completely empty by the time I got in. Don't understand why a few more places don't open.

Are BYOB places legal tonight?

You'd definitely get enough students.

Would you? Really? A bank holiday weekend would mean most students from outside Dublin gone home for the weekend.

For the clubs to be viable you'd need a critical mass of people in the city already. That won't be the case on Good Friday due to the pubs being closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

If you really, really want a drink tomorrow: http://publin.ie/2015/10-ways-to-buy-drink-on-good-friday/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Blut2

Would you? Really? A bank holiday weekend would mean most students from outside Dublin gone home for the weekend.

For the clubs to be viable you'd need a critical mass of people in the city already. That won't be the case on Good Friday due to the pubs being closed.

The tens of thousands of Dublin based students would still be at home. Plus its not just students - I'd wager a good 80% of people under 25 heading out to a club predrink in houses/apartments until the last bus/dart anyway. Pubs being closed wouldn't really effect them.

• Advertisement
Advertisement