Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop vs Tablet/Ipad for travel

Options
  • 30-03-2015 4:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭

Hi all

I am travelling long haul shortly and have realised that my trusty ipad has very little storage space so I cannot put a lot of movies/tv shows on it.

So I was wondering is there an alternative that you could suggest? I cannot afford to spend 600+ on a higher spec ipad. I would spend approx 300/450 on something new if I have to. Would a mini laptop be better or a different tablet?

Any ideas on what I can do? Thank you!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

Will your destination have decent connectivity? What about using some form of cloud storage to store content and access it as you need it?

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭verywell

Hi Zener

yes hopefully should have good connectivity. It really is only for light browsing and watching either Netflix or downloaded content.

If I was on a plane I would not be able to download from Cloud? Sorry might be a silly q. Not very technical.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,448 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

verywell wrote: »
    If I was on a plane I would not be able to download from Cloud? Sorry might be a silly q. Not very technical.

Don't even think about it. Downloading a movie from the cloud on a plane would probably cost you the price of a new iPad.

Thanks coylemj. That rules cloud out so. I was thinking if I got a small laptop or an android tablet then I could use my external harddrive to view any movies etc that I needed.

Kinda sorry I got the ipad as the storage is so small on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

I'd get a sub-€100 Android tablet with a microSD slot and a few 32GB cards

• Advertisement

Any particular ones?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

No specific recommendations, but you may as well try and get the most recent Android version you can find, for your price. Or you might get a secondhand laptop. I just bought one recently for £16! (2GHz Dual Core 15", just needed a charger and hard drive). Postage and exchange rates and ParcelMotel brought it up to about €36.

You might consider if a tablet will power your external drive?

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭Seamu$

You could look at OTG (on the go) storage solutions - usb drives with a suitable connector that your device can play content from. Although the Apple options seems much much more expensive than the micro usb alteratives that would work with Android tablets etc.

Apple

Micro USB OTG 64GB or this

Advertisement