Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parental Leave

Options
  • 30-03-2015 5:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi All,

I understand Parental Leave is granted at the discretion of the employer but are they legally obliged to allow it? I know a few people in my office and they are only allowed take every second Friday off. Are you not allowed to take weeks at a time, if requested in advance?

Also, Parental Leave is available until your child is 8 years old for most of us so why do teachers get yet another benefit over the rest of us and get their leave up until their children are 13? I find that extremely unfair when the majority of us only get 4 weeks off a year and they get min 3 months.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

AFAIK, Parental Leave like Annual Leave is taken at the discretion of the employer. Friend of mine went back to work, and is taking it. Think it's only 3 months, and she takes Fridays off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 CeCe_Belle

Thanks for the reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,253 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

You're entitled to a block of time off, but an employer might allow you to take a day off on a regular basis if it suits both parties.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭saraocallaghan

Legally you are entitled to minimum 6 weeks of parental leave that your employer can postpone no more than twice. If you are doing anything less than that it's granted at employer discretion and they can postpone as often as they like. You are entitled to 18 weeks per child up to the age of 8. This is all available on the Citizens Information website.

Advertisement