Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cat help

• 30-03-2015 6:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭

My Cat had 4 kittens on march 2nd. Now she has gotten all fussy about her food and keeps keying to be fed. i put different brands down and she turns her noes up at them all, except the jelly meat and only then she eats the jelly and not the meat. I have tried every brand of cat food and ive run out of ideas. i gave her some of my ham and yep she will wolf that down, we had a lamb supper the other night yep she loved that and we just gave her some duck innerds and she ate that no problem.what is going on??:confused::confused::confused: she keeps crying at me for no good reason but im sure there is some reason but dont know what

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭Dan Chipowski

Sounds like she'll be wanting t-bone steaks from now on.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,224 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

OP I've moved this to the Animal and Pet issues forum, you should get some helpful responses here

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

If she's feeding kittens she needs more food than usual. The meat is high protein so that's what she's after. Cats can be very fussy about food. We feed our cats Bozita tinned food, it's got a very high protein content and is human grade meat. Ours love the chicken one and it's less than a tenner for 6 big tins from Zooplus.ie

Cooked chicken is good too and in the short term you could feed her kitten food as it's high in calories.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭tonyheaney

If she's feeding kittens she needs more food than usual. The meat is high protein so that's what she's after. Cats can be very fussy about food. We feed our cats Bozita tinned food, it's got a very high protein content and is human grade meat. Ours love the chicken one and it's less than a tenner for 6 big tins from Zooplus.ie

Cooked chicken is good too and in the short term you could feed her kitten food as it's high in calories.

Hi thanks for the reply, My problem is that no matter what cat food i put in front of her she doesn't touch ti. If its jelly she will eat the jelly only. we could duck last nigh and she and the kittens had the left overs and some inners and they lapped it up, the other day we had lam and she ate that too no problem.

regarding the chicken do i buy a ready cooked chicken and give it to her and the kits?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,326 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

tonyheaney wrote: »
    regarding the chicken do i buy a ready cooked chicken and give it to her and the kits?
    Raw is better and the redder meat the better (i.e. breast contains the least nutrition and guts & hearts a lot more esp. taurine which is key) but only for the mommy (kittens can eat it as well but they need to get used to it basically). Also help her but cutting it up in smaller chunks for her to eat and no cooked bones ever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

Very sad you disregarded all the excellent advice and information you were given in December.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭MrWalsh

Have you taken her to a vet yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭ihatewinter

Allows his cat to have kittens and doesn't know the first thing about protein or calories needed for her to sustain milk production or body condition. I see his other thread about his cat wailing, yet doesn't heed advice.

Makes you wonder how the cat is still alive.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Allows his cat to have kittens and doesn't know the first thing about protein or calories needed for her to sustain milk production or body condition. I see his other thread about his cat wailing, yet doesn't heed advice.

ihatewinter,
    There is no issue with you taking issue with another poster, but there is an issue with how you've gone about it here.
    Let me draw your attention to this thread:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057405004

Do not address other posters in such a disrespectful fashion again.
    Thanks,
    DBB

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭sillysmiles

I have tried every brand of cat food and ive run out of ideas. i gave her some of my ham and yep she will wolf that down

I think she may be trying to tell you she doesn't want cat food, but real meat! Probably a case of she needs the extra nutrients.

• Advertisement

boomerang wrote: »
    Very sad you disregarded all the excellent advice and information you were given in December.

Would you care to link that advice here as i COULD'NT find it and what advice are you talking about??

I rescued my kitten from the side of the road abandoned at 2 months. Perhaps i don't know the first thing but i brought her home and cared for her fed her and tended to her needs, <snip>

DBB wrote: »
    ihatewinter,
    There is no issue with you taking issue with another poster, but there is an issue with how you've gone about it here.
    Let me draw your attention to this thread:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057405004

Do not address other posters in such a disrespectful fashion again.
    Thanks,
    DBB

Thank you DBB, Also if my reply to ihatewinter is unwarranted please forgive me as i was very offended in ihatewinters tone. thank you again

Thank you DBB, Also if my reply to ihatewinter is unwarranted please forgive me as i was very offended in ihatewinters tone. thank you again

It was utterly out of line tonyheaney.
    In any case, if you had a problem with it, you should have used the report function.. that's the rules. You do not take matters into your own hands.
    I would close this thread now given this behaviour, but it seems that you need the help, so I will leave it open, but I will delete your comments to ihatewinter because they are completely inappropriate.
    Do not reply to this post on thread.
    DBB

Would you care to link that advice here as i COULD'NT find it and what advice are you talking about??

For the record, this is the thread that is being referred to.. easily found by using the search function.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057350349

I am posting it here purely so that you can refresh your memory as to what advice you were given vs what you clearly decided to do subsequently. It is only to refrrsh your memory, I do not want to see old arguments rehashed here as a result of me pointing you towards it.

Do not reply to this post on thread.
    Thanks,
    DBB

it would seem that the follow/unfollow link was turned off. i wandered why i had not got many replys

Update: So we had 4 beautiful kittens 3 ginger and 1 black/white/ginger 2 girls and two boys. We are keeping the male ginger and i have already got good homes for the three little ones. One will be going to an elderly couple and also two young families. I offered them for €10 and upon delivery i will have €10 worth kitten food and a bowl and trainer litter tray. I feel if the person is willing to pay then they could be a good choice as owners. The mom is doing OK but has gone off cat food and prefers more home cooked food like chicken or lamb i cut and diced the meat on the lamb and duck and she is eating it no problem but id like her to at the cat food :/. I'm quite surprised at how soon the are using the litter tray. I left them with mum last night in the scullery room and when i went to feed her they had pee a lot in the trainer tray. I don't know who was more proud Mum cat with her funny meowing sounds or me with my whimpering sounds lol

meet Lilly, Ginger and Bubbles 10did80.jpg

and squeaky 2czosjc.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

€10 is not going to guarantee a good home. They'll spend five times that on goodies for the kitten in the petshop. What is a good home? At an absolute minimum:

The new owners will be prepared to wait until the kitten is AT LEAST ten to twelve weeks old as you are rehoming the kittens singly.

The kitten will be brought to the vets shortly after rehoming for a full check up, worming and vaccination advice from their vet.

The kitten will not be allowed outside until it has been neutered. (Read the previous thread again, for reasons why no one in their right mind would deliberately let their cat have a litter.) In fact, no kitten should be outside on its own anyways, until it's at least six months old, and then only gradually.

The new owners will know to teach the children to be gentle and kind with the kitten, and not treat it as a play-thing.

It will get a good-quality kitten food.

Good luck. BTW your cat can get pregnant again any time now.

My kitten went off her food when we moved house last month. She would eat the jelly off the food, as you are describing, and nibble on some dry food, only to throw the whole lot up an hour later. She wasn't herself at all. I fed her her favourite, raw chicken liver, but not too much because she was using a litter tray inside the new house and she also had the runs a bit. She wanted to eat what I was eating, so I fed her bits of raw rasher, some cooked chicken (the cooked chicken seemed to work the best) and also, oddly, she wanted to eat toffee cake. I have no idea why the toffee cake since cats don't taste sweet stuff, but if she wanted to eat it, I gave her little bits, because her eating is the most important thing.

I think, though I'm no expert at all, that cooked chicken might be the best thing for her, if she will eat it - Amelia would and it didn't upset her tummy like catfood was at the time. In her case it was stress, possible your cat is stressed out too with her new litter?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭sillysmiles

@ tony, can I ask why do you want her back on cat food?
    If she is eating real meat and nursing I would think it is best to just let her be and eat what she needs for the moment. When things settle down after the kittens move on to their new homes.
    The only advice I could give is to listen to the cat, she knows what her body needs at the moment and just make sure she has plenty of good food and access to water.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭morgana

You could also try smashing up any of those treats like Dreamies or Whiskas treats and sprinkling them over her food. Some cat food might be a good idea to make sure she gets all the nutrients she needs.

@ tony, can I ask why do you want her back on cat food?
    If she is eating real meat and nursing I would think it is best to just let her be and eat what she needs for the moment. When things settle down after the kittens move on to their new homes.
    The only advice I could give is to listen to the cat, she knows what her body needs at the moment and just make sure she has plenty of good food and access to water.

Well to be honest its my mindset that cat food was designed tom maximise the health benefits for the cat? so in that order i was trying to get her to eat it.

Well to be honest its my mindset that cat food was designed tom maximise the health benefits for the cat? so in that order i was trying to get her to eat it.

It really depends on the quality of the cat food. Most of the brands you see in supermarkets contain very little protein and a lot of fillers like grain. You'd pay just short of 7 euro for a box of 12 pouches of Felix, for example that only has about 4% protein but you could buy 6 cans of something like Bozita that would cost you less than a tenner and is human grade cat food with at least 80% protein.

A handy way of seeing what's what is to go to Zooplus.ie and have a look at the brands of cat food, they pretty much have every brand, and it gives you an exact breakdown of everything that is in the food. It's often much cheaper to buy stuff from them than in a supermarket or pet shop.:)

It's often much cheaper to buy stuff from them than in a supermarket or pet shop.:)

Mine wont eat the good quality stuff. Ive thrown out more cans of Smilla, Bozita, Cosma, Carny, Feringa than you can shake a stick at. One sniff and they walk away and leave it untouched. Ive wasted at least 50 quid in the last month alone trying to find some wet food they will eat. They only lick the jelly or gravy off Whiskas or Felix.

Finally success, in desperation I bought LIDL premium wet food pouches and both of them ate every fragment!

MrWalsh wrote: »
    Mine wont eat the good quality stuff. Ive thrown out more cans of Smilla, Bozita, Cosma, Carny, Feringa than you can shake a stick at. One sniff and they walk away and leave it untouched. Ive wasted at least 50 quid in the last month alone trying to find some wet food they will eat. They only lick the jelly or gravy off Whiskas or Felix.

Finally success, in desperation I bought LIDL premium wet food pouches and both of them ate every fragment!

I know what you mean, every now and again ours refuse to eat the good stuff. The LIDL pouches are the only ones they'd eat. I think of it as the cat version of slumming it with junk food instead of eating a steak. :D

I know what you mean, every now and again ours refuse to eat the good stuff. The LIDL pouches are the only ones they'd eat. I think of it as the cat version of slumming it with junk food instead of eating a steak. :D

I only give the wet food because Arya isnt a great water drinker, Maisey is grand, I dont mind her being on dry food because she drinks water. Arya wont even eat plain chicken or turkey and she runs away from anything fishy!! I think she might be a ferret and not a cat at all :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 312 ✭✭DerTierarzt

I only give the wet food because Arya isnt a great water drinker, Maisey is grand, I dont mind her being on dry food because she drinks water.

You can help prevent dental disease by feeding dry food only, which helps break down tartar and plaque. Wet food creates a film on the teeth, onto which bacteria adhere, tracking up the gums and causing inflammation and infection. Cats are very good at concentrating their urine, and often source water from places other than the water bowl, so do not worry about their hydration status. Wet food is only really indicated for diagnosed renal disease or urinary issues.

You can help prevent dental disease by feeding dry food only, which helps break down tartar and plaque. Wet food creates a film on the teeth, onto which bacteria adhere, tracking up the gums and causing inflammation and infection. Cats are very good at concentrating their urine, and often source water from places other than the water bowl, so do not worry about their hydration status. Wet food is only really indicated for diagnosed renal disease or urinary issues.

Sorry, I feed both. The majority of food is dry. I like Arya especially to have some wet also though. Im following my vets advice. Arya isnt out unsupervised so she isnt sourcing water elsewhere.

wow €50 is a lot guess every lidl helps after all :D:D

• Advertisement
Advertisement