Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Stamullen GP 2015

• 30-03-2015 7:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭

See CI have sent out a email asking for people to volunteer to be marshalls for it due to them having to change their route. At least it is still going ahead, would have looked very bad for one of the national series road races to be cancelled.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8 cycleaddict

Didn't receive any emails from CI about this. Good to hear it is still going ahead. What is the difference between the 2 days racing is sunday the main event

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,102 ✭✭✭mathie

What is the new route?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,100 ✭✭✭buffalo

https://www.facebook.com/kate.howard.7771/posts/1575675356003969

Message from Kay Howard about next weekend...
    STAMULLEN MD ROAD CLUB
    (Affiliated to Cycling Ireland)
    Secretary, Kay Howard, Stedalt, Stamullen, Co. Meath
    Contact: kayhoward@eircom.net - Phone 01 8411352 - Mobile 0879339026
    2 April 2015
    ATTENTION ALL CYCLISTS – PAST – PRESENT – FUTURE
    As almost everybody involved in road cycle racing in Ireland will be aware of the problems being encountered by the cycling clubs’ in the Fingal/East Meath area regarding the promotion of their respective annual road cycle races.
    As a result of all of this and so as not to bring about a total ‘shut down’ of road races, depriving cyclists of top class races, which is happening at present, we are promoting our annual Stamullen cycle races this year, totally in the Co. Meath area on the usual dates of Saturday and Sunday 11th & 12th April 2015.
    There will be changes to the Saturday (Pat & Monie Nolan Memorial) which will now be renamed the Pat Howard Memorial race and the venue will be ARDCATH on Saturday 11th April ’15 with Underage races starting at 11:00am and Seniors at 12:00 midday. Sign-On, Start and Finish will be in Ardcath.
    Stamullen 12th April 2015 - (Joey Whyte, Patrick Kennedy, Jimmy Gough Memorials & SafeLink Shield races will all start from Gormancton College and all races will finish in Stamullen village, the only difference will be the race route and full details will be forthcoming.
    So, take it that the only major changes over this particular weekend will be the race routes.
    THIS WILL BE ONE OF THE BIGGEST TESTS EVER FOR FUTURE CYCLE RACES IN IRELAND
    BECAUSE THE NEW CIRCUIT FOR STAMULLEN GP HAS BEEN EXTENDED QUITE CONSIDERABLY, WE URGENTLY NEED HELP BY WAY OF EXTRA STEWARDS WHICH WILL GREATLY HELP WITH RUNNING THESE RACES OFF AS SAFELY AS POSSIBLE.
    WE ARE ASKING PLEADING, BEGGING FOR VOLUNTEER STEWARDS AND THIS APPEAL GOES OUT TO LITERALLY EVERYONE INVOLVED IN THE SPORT.
    WE NEED FULL PROTECTION FOR THE RIDERS, REMEMBER IT COULD BE YOUR BROTHER, SISTER, DAD, MAM THAT YOU ARE HELPING TO PROTECT.
    IF YOU CAN HELP, PLEASE CONTACT kayhoward@eircom.net ASAP, SO WE CAN THEN DRAW UP A LIST IN ADVANCE OF OUR RACE DATE.
    WE REALLY, REALLY WOULD APPRECIATE HELP.
    THANKS,
    KAY

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,124 ✭✭✭daragh_

Would be great to see the Boards Cycling Community lend a hand here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Have we any of the new routes available for the 2 races please?

• Advertisement

Inquitus wrote: »
    Have we any of the new routes available for the 2 races please?

Did you read the post? "full details will be forthcoming"

buffalo wrote: »
    Did you read the post? "full details will be forthcoming"

A rough idea would be helpful......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭rigal

It'll be interesting to see how many boardsies who have been opining for hours on end in the IVCA thread about racing in Leinster lend a hand for this....Hopefully lots! :pac:

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,657 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

rigal wrote: »
    It'll be interesting to see how many boardsies who have been opining for hours on end in the IVCA thread about racing in Leinster lend a hand for this....Hopefully lots! :pac:
    I suspect quite a few will be jumping at the opportunity to race....

A rough idea would be helpful......

Roughly here, ffs.

343910.png

Do you think perhaps they need to see how many marshals they can muster up and if they can run the race safely before they start publicising the route?

• Advertisement

buffalo wrote: »
    Roughly here, ffs.

Do you think perhaps they need to see how many marshals they can muster up and if they can run the race safely before they start publicising the route?

Well an idea of the route might help people decide if their efforts would be better served racing or marshalling, and on which day, but thanks for your highly constructive addition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

Well an idea of the route might help people decide if their efforts would be better served racing or marshalling, and on which day, but thanks for your highly constructive addition.

I'd wager that your efforts would be better served marshalling.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,657 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Guys let's not get too worked up over this!

My own guess is they will start in Ardcath, head down to the X-roads a third of the way towards Garristown, take a left all the way to the Naul/Snowtown road (R108) where they take a left. Then they would descent to the bottom of Snowtown to take a left onto a road that eventually joins the old McNally Swords CC Ardcath circuit, then up the hill through the village.

But it's only a guess.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Beasty wrote: »
    Guys let's not get too worked up over this!

My own guess is they will start in Ardcath, head down to the X-roads a third of the way towards Garristown, take a left all the way to the Naul/Snowtown road (R108) where they take a left. Then they would descent to the bottom of Snowtown to take a left onto a road that eventually joins the old McNally Swords CC Ardcath circuit, then up the hill through the village.

But it's only a guess.....

If it is the 20km loop i'm imagining then it is going to be a pretty tough race. Each lap has approx 300m of climbing.

Given the potential for large fields and the relatively narrow roads it probably makes sense to use a circuit that will break up the groups.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭bryangiggsy

daragh_ wrote: »
    Would be great to see the Boards Cycling Community lend a hand here.

Can't see it happening. Like all forums too many keyboard warriors willing to give their opinions from the comfort of their own couch. When push comes to shove they run for cover.

Can't see it happening. Like all forums too many keyboard warriors willing to give their opinions from the comfort of their own couch. When push comes to shove they run for cover.
    Take it you won't be volunteering to help out then?

Supported by what evidence?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭cunavalos

Will an unprecedented marshal turnout have an effect of requiring every subsequent event to have a similar level of marshaling and make it very difficult for other race directors to get the level of marshals required.

Or is it a case of if we want events to go ahead and safeguard the future of road racing we (as in the cycling community not just boards) will need a massive increase in the numbers of marshals required for every event in the future.

Will the guards/council continue to shift the goalposts until a legal definition of the rules of the road and its implication on road racing are clearly defined and not open to individuals interpretation.

The IVCA had already upped their game on marshals, increasing the numbers to 23 per race. I think that most clubs are probably going to be in the position of expecting their own members to marshal ahead of riding. That way riders still get plenty of opportunity to race courtesy of other clubs

As for a legal definition of the RoTR - they are not the law. All we have been discussing in the various threads on the topic is application of the law which needs no further definition for the various scenarios discussed. It is and always has been illegal to go over unbroken white lines, ignore stop signs, for marshals to stop traffic etc. The only debate is whether the Gardai will seek to enforce these laws for road races on open roads

• Advertisement

I honestly think there are many regulars here who will be happy to lend a hand and Marshall. See you on the road. I'll be there with a flag.

Take it you won't be volunteering to help out then?

Not in Stamullen. I've to Marshall 3 times in the Cuchulainn league this summer. No problem admitting that . I have a gripe though which is why I made that point. Everyone has their opinion on safe cycling and the 1.5 m rule but when asked as I did about putting the safe cycling stickers on their cars and who had them. Not one person responded. All talk no action.

I honestly think there are many regulars here who will be happy to lend a hand and Marshall. See you on the road. I'll be there with a flag.

Fair play Daragh. Can you drop Kate a mail ?

I think that most clubs are probably going to be in the position of expecting their own members to marshal ahead of riding. That way riders still get plenty of opportunity to race courtesy of other clubs

That is the way in our club. No members except the juniors are allowed ride our own GP. Proper order too. Giving up one race in a year isn't much to expect. Lessens the load on everyone plus it gives you a greater appreciation of the amount of work that goes into the running of a set of races.

Also loads and I really means loads of non-racing members get involved. Real club event.

Not in Stamullen. I've to Marshall 3 times in the Cuchulainn league this summer. No problem admitting that . I have a gripe though which is why I made that point. Everyone has their opinion on safe cycling and the 1.5 m rule but when asked as I did about putting the safe cycling stickers on their cars and who had them. Not one person responded. All talk no action.

Stop intermingling issues. You ain't marshalling for the GO so lets just leave the other issue out of it.

Stop intermingling issues. You ain't marshalling for the GO so lets just leave the other issue out of it.

No but thanks for telling me what to do

That is the way in our club. No members except the juniors are allowed ride our own GP. Proper order too. Giving up one race in a year isn't much to expect. Lessens the load on everyone plus it gives you a greater appreciation of the amount of work that goes into the running of a set of races.
    We had a similar situation with the CX nationals - we've some pretty good CX racers but virtually all of them were there from 8am until 5pm sorting out the course doing the marshaling, tidying everything up afterwards etc. Some of them had also been very active in the months building up to it. I appreciate it was a bit more work because it was the nationals, but there was still an incredible amount of work that went into it

Done

@bryangiggsy - keep on topic. Everyone else - please do not take the bait

Any questions - PM me - do not respond in-thread

Thanks

• Advertisement

Done

Fair play Daragh honestly. Not being smart. Hat tip . Bryan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭morana

its Kay!!!

morana wrote: »
    its Kay!!!

Not on FB it ain't! She went all formal for it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭wav1

morana wrote: »
    its Kay!!!
    And her other half would be known as the Angel Gabriel

Any word on the revised routes for this yet? Publishing the routes might make the minds up for those who are on the fence with regards to hilly routes and allow the to put there name forward for marshalling on one of the days.

Their FB page stated (on Sunday)
    Routes will be up tomorrow or tue eve at latest
    So hopefully there will be news later on today

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 828 ✭✭✭Koobcam

Is there a Saturday race?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 529 ✭✭✭calistro

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

I cycled the Stamullen GP route the other day, and it is a tough circuit. It's draggy in parts, climby in parts, fast in parts. IMHO it;s tougher than the old route. Whoever wins it will certainly have worked hard for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

Koobcam wrote: »
    Is there a Saturday race?

Route is here: http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/668341700

Super flat, 9km loop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

Super flat, 9km loop.

h'cap race, should be super fast.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭pprendeville

lennymc wrote: »
    I cycled the Stamullen GP route the other day, and it is a tough circuit. It's draggy in parts, climby in parts, fast in parts. IMHO it;s tougher than the old route. Whoever wins it will certainly have worked hard for it.

that is a vicious circuit alright, rather like a mini "Des". totally agree with your summary. we went down bellewstown hill the other day and were touching 70 taking it easy so that'll tell you how steep it is in parts.

Ardcath will be well known to a few NCD clubs and some Blanch Wheelies also. Ken1975 and a certain former A3 national champ used to really put on the hurt here in a club lge going up into the village.

i for one hope this goes well on both days.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Is the Sunday circuit the same one they used in 2009, except the other way around?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 581 ✭✭✭greenmat

Super flat, 9km loop.

I presume that's tongue in cheek, that Ardcath Hill is a bitch when racing. Tears the legs off me.

greenmat wrote: »
    I presume that's tongue in cheek, that Ardcath Hill is a bitch when racing. Tears the legs off me.
    I suspect he does not realise that MapMyRide profile does not tell the full story:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 581 ✭✭✭greenmat

I suspect he does not realise that MapMyRide profile does not tell the full story:D

Here's a version from Strava, a bit more like it.

https://www.strava.com/routes/2086766

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭wav1

Is the Sunday circuit the same one they used in 2009, except the other way around?
    Same climb complete different circuit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 828 ✭✭✭Koobcam

greenmat wrote: »
    Here's a version from Strava, a bit more like it.

https://www.strava.com/routes/2086766

Hmm, looks like a nasty uphill finish.

Koobcam wrote: »
    Hmm, looks like a nasty uphill finish.
    It'll spread everyone out a bit particularly be the 4th or 5th ascent. We've used that road regularly in our club league - yes it's a tough hill but it's also relatively short

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Super flat, 9km loop.

Super flat, Yeah, right!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,102 ✭✭✭mathie

I'd there a Strava link for the 24k lap on Sunday?

• Advertisement
Advertisement