Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Stamullen GP 2015

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,068 ✭✭✭✭neris

What are the turnouts at for the underage races like? Going to send my young lad up for the u14 on Sunday

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,189 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Any word on the volunteer numbers? I am out of the country or I would be there myself, hope they got the numbers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

mathie wrote: »
    I'd there a Strava link for the 24k lap on Sunday?

https://www.strava.com/segments/9204363

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,657 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

lennymc wrote: »

You mean you put all that effort in to create the segment only to find someone had already bettered your time?:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 316 ✭✭Irish Raven

Jeez a4 race only 48km on Sunday....points only for 3-2-1... You'd think they would extended the course by three kilometres!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

CramCycle wrote: »
    Any word on the volunteer numbers? I am out of the country or I would be there myself, hope they got the numbers.
    Latest word is that if everyone who has volunteered turns up then we will have enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

greenmat wrote: »
    I presume that's tongue in cheek, that Ardcath Hill is a bitch when racing. Tears the legs off me.

Sorry, pure ignorance on my part. Strava tells a different story. Looks horrible.

Beasty wrote: »
    You mean you put all that effort in to create the segment only to find someone had already bettered your time?:pac:

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Jeez a4 race only 48km on Sunday....points only for 3-2-1... You'd think they would extended the course by three kilometres!!

I know we should be happy that we have racing at all after the rubbish that is going on but have to agree that only having a race long enough for 1st three placings is a pain.

• Advertisement

55080681.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,102 ✭✭✭mathie

Am I right in saying it goes over this segment?
    http://www.strava.com/segments/837883
    :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 316 ✭✭Irish Raven

Everyday I wake up and thank the cycling gods that there's racing going ahead,
    they really making the Leinster lads grovel about participating in races....down in munster there's no such need to be so thankful!!

And your right, it is a pain for only 3 placings, especially when only 2km is needed to make it top 8, 3 placings would put a lot of lads off, I suppose it's only a couple of hours to drive up to Derry 😜

Am I right in saying it goes over this segment?
    http://www.strava.com/segments/837883
    :(

yes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

When I first saw the new A4 route is 48km my initial reaction was 'pity it's under the 50km, wonder if not adding 2km at the start was an oversight'. But then knowing the efforts that some very experienced folks have gone to in order to make this race happen, that seems very unlikely, and it's more likely that if there was a way to make it over 50km, they'd have found it. So, I'm definitely thankful that they found a way to make the race go ahead at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭wav1

When I first saw the new A4 route is 48km my initial reaction was 'pity it's under the 50km, wonder if not adding 2km at the start was an oversight'. But then knowing the efforts that some very experienced folks have gone to in order to make this race happen, that seems very unlikely, and it's more likely that if there was a way to make it over 50km, they'd have found it. So, I'm definitely thankful that they found a way to make the race go ahead at all.
    Agree 100%..i would imagine if anyone complains about circuits,distances,etc etc this weekend they will be told exactly what to do,given all that is going on to make the next 2 weekends happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

Or you could try that little bit harder in the race?!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,189 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    Or you could try that little bit harder in the race?!

Sometimes people don't like the simple solutions, hammer it after the first climb and stay away, simples

CramCycle wrote: »
    Sometimes people don't like the simple solutions, hammer it after the first climb and stay away, simples

Hammer it up the first climb and down it and stay away.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,657 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

TBH given the circuit they are using on Saturday it's probably better if they get less racers than would normally be expected and maybe the shorter but hilly circuit will put some off. I have raced some of those roads in a club league where fields have been maybe 50 or less spread across 5 groups.The roads are very narrow in places. On one of those roads in particular in my view they can only safely run it if they stop all oncoming traffic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 430 ✭✭bren_mc

does the distance between the college and the start of the lap not bring it up to the 50k mark? or is it not a rolling start from there (as it was the last couple of years)?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭danceswithwolf

Lads, dumb question!

Should I do this or the Silver Pail in Fermoy? Started back racing last week and more or less want to do another race and stay out of trouble to get my legs up to speed. Safety first!

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Lads, dumb question!

Should I do this or the Silver Pail in Fermoy? Started back racing last week and more or less want to do another race and stay out of trouble to get my legs up to speed. Safety first!

Thanks

Look at the profiles of both races and decide for yourself which one you like the look of best. Don't know anything about the Fermoy roads but sone of the roads on Saturday/Sunday are quite narrow.

bren_mc wrote: »
    does the distance between the college and the start of the lap not bring it up to the 50k mark? or is it not a rolling start from there (as it was the last couple of years)?

It is, and it probably does.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,102 ✭✭✭mathie

Is Gormanston College Golf Club a different place to Gormanston College?
    Google Maps giving me much confidence in finding sign on.
    Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,256 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Is Gormanston College Golf Club a different place to Gormanston College?
    Google Maps giving me much confidence in finding sign on.
    Thanks

its here:

https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.635231,-6.233879,3a,75y,262.74h,77.56t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sIDR4UGWH2-K6_Z7LgQcwMg!2e0?hl=en

I got it from here: http://stamullenraces2015.blogspot.ie/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 537 ✭✭✭padjo5

First race of the year for me, woefully unfit, should be a laugh a minute (totalling approximately 120 laughs!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭bryangiggsy

Rolled thru Ardcath when the junior race was finishing today . Just stopped at the corner across from the pub. Was highly impressed with the 2 junior lads in front. They came round the corner like there was no hill there.

Results from today, courtesy of Stamullen RC FB page

1. Martyn Irvine, Madison Genesis
    2. Ian Richardson, UCD
    3. Joseph Breheny, UCD
    4. Anthony Walsh, Aqua Blue
    5. Owen Morton, UCD
    6. Seamus Sinnott, Wexford Whlrs (Junior)
    7. Fintan Ryan, DID Dunboyne
    8. Colm Cassidy, Aqua Blue
    1st Unplaced A2: Owen Lynch, DID Dunboyne
    1st Unplaced A3: John Fitzpatrick, CKR CC
    1st Unplaced A4: Brendan Corcoran, Lucan CC
    1st Unplaced Junior: Declan Mulholland, DCM CC

Ladies:
    (1) Karen Robinson, Richies/Garda CC,
    (2) Grace Irvine, McNally Swords CC
    (3) Tracey McConkey, DBCC

UNDER 12 RACE
    1 Caoimhe O’Brien, Lakeside CC
    2 Breandan McGuinness, Navan Road Club
    3 Aaron Treanor, Cuchulainn CC
    4 Ellen Gorman, Stamullen MD RC
    5 Adam Gilsenan, Bohermeen CC
    6 Aoife O’Brien, Lakeside CC

UNDER 14 RACE
    1 Sean Nolan, Navan Road Club
    2 Aaron Heaney, Derrymore CC
    3 Ryan Geraghty, Inspiration CC
    4 Conor Farrell, Lakeside CC
    5 Emmett Gorman, Stamullen MD Road Club
    6 Aaron Wade, Lakeside CC

UNDER 16 RACE
    1 Liam Wilson, Derrymore CC
    2 Sean Murname, Orwell Whlrs
    3 Jack Cauldwell, Navan Road Club
    4 Owen Ruane, GBCC
    5 Eoghan McGee, Ratoath Whlrs CC
    6 Sean O’Connell, Stamullen MD Road Club

Congratulations to all. I hope everyone got round without major issue.

padjo5 wrote: »
    First race of the year for me, woefully unfit, should be a laugh a minute (totalling approximately 120 laughs!)

good man padjo, nice easy one to start with :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,124 ✭✭✭daragh_

Well run race around a testing circuit. Would like to race it someday! Breezy and cold with some hail on the second lap. Warmed up after that. Watching Irvine and Richardson and the strong bunch chasing them was worth the soaking. Well done all and best of luck anyone racing tomorrow.

• Advertisement

Well done to Stamullen today on a circuit that was seriously difficult to marshall and manage,but pulled it off great.Really really tough circuit for all but fair play to the club who managed the job against the odds.
    Where theres a will theres a way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 537 ✭✭✭padjo5

Here here Wavin, huge numbers of Marshalls etc around the place.

No Garmin but personally had over 100 laughs I reckon! Fun

yes there were an awful lot of junctions but all well marshalled. well done stamullen. hopefully back to the "easier" snowtown circuit in the near future.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭colm_gti

Rode out to spectate earlier because my legs aren't particularly ready for a road race yet....looked seriously well marshaled, and a tough course. Every race had blown to pieces on the first lap!

It's made me eager to have a go at a road race or two soon, when my legs wake up again!

Kudos to Stamullen Road Club for overcoming the difficulties imposed by Fingal CoCo!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭manwithaplan

Thanks to Stamullen who did a fantastic job today. I loved the new circuit and even went home with an envelope.

Thanks to Stamullen who did a fantastic job today. I loved the new circuit and even went home with an envelope.

Was there anything in it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

Think it was pretty much inevitable that after posting this I'd finish 4th and just outside the points. And so it came to pass. Happy with the day's work though.

Thanks Stamullen for all the extraordinary lengths gone to in order to make this race happen and for running it in such an expert manner that it can only have been well received by any scrutinising onlookers. The fact you arranged for not just the morning's deluges to hold off but also for the sun to show up in the afternoon was equally impressive!

Think it was pretty much inevitable that after posting this I'd finish 4th and just outside the points. And so it came to pass. Happy with the day's work though.

Thanks Stamullen for all the extraordinary lengths gone to in order to make this race happen and for running it in such an expert manner that it can only have been well received by any scrutinising onlookers. The fact you arranged for not just the morning's deluges to hold off but also for the sun to show up in the afternoon was equally impressive!
    In fairness if you can finish 4th today it shouldn't be long till you do get the points.Wouldn't think there were many who fancied another lap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

I decided to do today's race at the last minute, and I'm glad I did. Went to bed far later than planned last night, opting to see how I felt in the morning before making my final decision. I slept through the first alarm, the second (louder and far more annoying) alarm made me levitate, which isn't a great way to start any day.

I felt a bit rubbish. I'm not going. But some of my most fun rides have been when I've felt crap heading into them. I'm going. The weather outside the window was horrible. I'm not going. But that might mean smaller numbers and a more interesting race. I'm going. My daughter asked me not to go out in those high winds in case I get blown off my bike (simultaneously both touching and an indication of poor faith in my bike handling abilities!). I'm not going. But I keep telling her that racing is fun and (mostly) safe so I need to back up my words with actions. I'm going. Etc. I'll be more decisive when I grow up. Maybe.

Anyway, I went. I made sure to pack lots of excuses though - I've not been sleeping well, my training has been rubbish recently, trying to buy a new house and sell your own is a long and stressful process, and the trump card that A3 gives me: it would have been fine if it wasn't for those pesky kids/juniors! :)

I always find the start of a race tough and this was no exception. It seemed like a small enough bunch though, I'm guessing no more than 80, and that felt comfortable. That was a relief to me, my last race was a very nervous affair and the lingering memory of that was one of the things that motivated me to race today, the longer I left it before racing again the more deep rooted that nervousness would become I reckon. Plus the descents today were fine, nothing particularly hairy, so I was happy enough to stick close to the wheel in front of me. After a few kilometres I felt like I'd settled into the race, I was contributing nothing but feeling like maybe I might be able to at some point.

Coming round a right-hand bend one guy ended up in the ditch, he stayed upright but it caused a minor split and I found myself having to dig in to bridge the gap. The effort that needed didn't bode well. Then we hit the steepest climb. I should have been fine on that, and it did actually feel fine for the first half, but my heart rate suddenly jumped and I was now anything but fine. I'm not sure whether the gap opened up in front of me before the top of the hill or just after it, but it went from a gao to a chasm in the blink of an eye it seemed. Spoiler:
    The End!

A few of us worked hard to get back on (fair play to the Newry Wheelers guy that was driving that). That style of riding usually suits me well, I seem to fare best when hovering constantly close to my own red line, but not today. As we were just about back on my legs gave out. I could only watch as the small group tagged onto the back of the bunch ahead while I drifted backwards.

I chased on solo for the next few kilometres. The gap grew to the extent that 3 cars went past me. I wasn't willing to risk using them so I kept left and ploughed on. I passed one of the cars. I might do this. I passed another of the cars. I CAN do this. I was within about 50m of the bunch. Just. Another. Little. Push. The Laws of Physics suddenly broke, the gap instantly jumped to 200m or more. Ffffffccccuuuuukkkk! And then they were gone.

I rode the second lap knowing that my race was well and truly over but no point in giving up so I pushed as hard as I could heading into the second lap. That didn't last long though, I was out of puff. I expected to be caught by chasers coming from behind but it was several kilometres later before two other A3's came past. We were then caught by the A4 break and we tagged onto the back. I was very wary of interfering in their race so I stayed right at the back as we headed into the climb that broke me earlier. I mucked about a bit, leaving a gap and bridging again, anything to give my legs and lungs more of a workout. Too much of a workout as it happens as I drifted off the back again.

I was passed by the A4 chasers next, and went out the back of them too. At this rate I might just about make it to the finish line before nightfall. I pulled out at the end of the second lap so I got to see the finish of the A3 race. First 3 over the line were juniors - excellent, time to dip into my bag of excuses...

Manwithaplan came in with the group chasing those juniors, fair play, that was an impressive ride!

So far I've done just two A3 races and got dropped early on in both. Bah! Onwards an upwards from here though ...much like both races actually, which doesn't bring back happy thoughts! :pac:

It was a very well run event though, again (as it was last year too). Thanks, and fair play, to the organisers, they did a great job and I can only reiterate the praise for the marshals, they were excellent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,100 ✭✭✭buffalo

colm_gti wrote: »
    Rode out to spectate earlier because my legs aren't particularly ready for a road race yet....looked seriously well marshaled, and a tough course. Every race had blown to pieces on the first lap!

It's made me eager to have a go at a road race or two soon, when my legs wake up again!

Kudos to Stamullen Road Club for overcoming the difficulties imposed by Fingal CoCo!

Thought that was you alright, hope you enjoyed the view of the suffering. Hard course indeed.

As others have said, well run and marshalled race, fair play to Stamullen RC.. Particularly liked the starting points for each race ready for rollout. Much better than the massed chaos that normally occurs at the other gate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭colm_gti

buffalo wrote: »
    Thought that was you alright, hope you enjoyed the view of the suffering.

I'm not sure how I feel about spectating on hard road races, it usually makes me question why I'd want to put myself through it :P

Advertisement