Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Realistically, at what age should you have bought your first home?

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

I'm aiming to have my first mortgage at about 35 but if I buy on my own, this is going to push my retirement age up substantially. I had the opportunity to buy my grandmothers house in south Dublin when I was 24 and in a way, I wish I had. My life would have turned out very differently if I did. The price of that house has gone up by at least 100k since then. If I didn't have my child, I think now would have been the perfect time for me to buy but I don't have the money at the minute.

How old are you now. A house that's 100k more expensive now than sometime in the last 10 years is very strange, unless it's pricey and you are comparing to 2011/2012 prices.

Edit: just saw 85 in your name which puts you at 29 or 30 so the house is 100k above c. 2010 prices?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

35 years old is a bit late,
    mortgages are 25 years at least.
    Are u sure you,ll be able to afford a house in dublin in say 5 years.
    Most houses went down by 30-50 per cent since 2007 .
    OF course prices vary by area to area in dublin .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 774 ✭✭✭CarpeDiem85

riclad wrote: »
    35 years old is a bit late,
    mortgages are 25 years at least.
    Are u sure you,ll be able to afford a house in dublin in say 5 years.
    Most houses went down by 30-50 per cent since 2007 .
    OF course prices vary by area to area in dublin .

I'm looking at areas that are still within my price range and if it's still just me and my child, then I'll only be looking for a 2 bed. 35 is a bit late but better late than never. If prices go up beyond my reach, I'll just move out of Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 774 ✭✭✭CarpeDiem85

How old are you now. A house that's 100k more expensive now than sometime in the last 10 years is very strange, unless it's pricey and you are comparing to 2011/2012 prices.

Edit: just saw 85 in your name which puts you at 29 or 30 so the house is 100k above c. 2010 prices?

Yes, the house is in a very sought after area.

Advertisement