Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Which Macbook now?

• 30-03-2015 7:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 503 ✭✭✭

Im done with windows. I hate it. My current laptop is done for. Im in the market for something new and its going to be an apple macbook.

The confusion I have is for which model. Portability and battery life are not essential to me.
    I like the idea of the retina screen but is there that much difference?

Should I just buy an older model cheaper?

The New upgraded Pro Retina 13" and the new 12"Mackbook are the same price. To me the Pro is the winner. Am I missing something ?

Where should I buy? I travel alot between Ireland and Middle East. Is Apple warranty universal?

My uses are quite basic but I like something that works well. I use MS Office, MS Project, Photo and video edits, general websurfing, college work, netflix etc etc. No Gaming.

Any input and opinion welcome. Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jaymcg91

The new Macbook is revolutionary in terms of how thin it is. It also has a force track pad and a different style of keyboard (easier to type on). You'd need to Google reviews tbh to fully understand the differences.

The major disadvantage of the new Macbook 12" for some people is that there aren't any ports on it at all except one USB-C port for charging. If you do need them (I personally don't, I update my phone and iPad over wifi), then you'd need to buy an adaptor.

The pro is an upgrade on an existing model and technology.

Both would be amazing machines and I think it would come down to your personal taste and needs (for what you've stated though, video editing can be processor heavy, so the pro may be more suited for you).

BTW I moved to Macbook about 6 months ago from Windows, and it was the best decision ever.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

poteen wrote: »
    Im done with windows. I hate it. My current laptop is done for. Im in the market for something new and its going to be an apple macbook.

The confusion I have is for which model. Portability and battery life are not essential to me.
    I like the idea of the retina screen but is there that much difference?

Should I just buy an older model cheaper?

The New upgraded Pro Retina 13" and the new 12"Mackbook are the same price. To me the Pro is the winner. Am I missing something ?

Where should I buy? I travel alot between Ireland and Middle East. Is Apple warranty universal?

My uses are quite basic but I like something that works well. I use MS Office, MS Project, Photo and video edits, general websurfing, college work, netflix etc etc. No Gaming.

Any input and opinion welcome. Thanks.

There is a Mac forum over here: Mac, where you will probably get more answers. This forum is actually for iOS devices.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 323 ✭✭steppen

Also no MagSafe now, so if you're a tripper go for the MacBook Pro or MacBook Air. MagSafe has saved my bacon countless times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

I'd say the Pro – you'll get a longer lifespan out of it, also general wariness of 1st gen Apple products!

You will love it :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

13" Macbook pro retina, 8GB Ram, 256 SSD. The best spec for most people in my opinion. I have one for almost 2 years now. A super machine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭kefir32

I invested in the original MBP retina 15" back in 2012, was more expensive than the current update version but superb machine and will last another few years until major developments happen. The only thing I have to attend to is a new mag safe charger as the wires are exposed from stretching. Great investment and still super sharp.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 BandofBrothers

I bought my MacBook Air in 2011 and it's still going strong.

I agree with the comments on the MagSafe feature.

I moved from Windows too to OS X which is a learning curve but in my experience a good one. No more defragging. No more continuous updates. No more having to think straightaway about what Security Suite I should use.

Now I get the odd update and since having the MBA every major firmware update has been free 😄 Yosimite is gorgeous.

I got mine from an  reseller as I didn't have an  store in my hometown at that point. I have now.

I did think a few times about the initial outlay but it was and still is well worth the investment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭BigMoose

I have a mid 2012 Pro (non retina) and the move from windows was the best I've made in a long time! I bought mine from the US and have since bought an air for the in-laws from Malaysia. Apple currently honor a world wide warantee for macbooks (but not things that take a SIM, like iphones or some ipads). I guess this could change, but is currently grand on macbooks.

Advertisement