Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Full Tower Case - Best options for WC

Options
  • 30-03-2015 7:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 44

Hi All,

As the title says, looking for the best and biggest case for water-cooling. the current option I have is Case-labs magnum sth10. has anyone got any suggestions for this? or better options.

Thanks Again,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

The Coolermaster HAF Stacker has a crap load of room for water cooling.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Can't really answer that one without knowing more about the build. What sort of components will you be cooling? What sort of fans were you thinking of? How much radiator do you want? etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 XXXtitan

Serephucus wrote: »
    Can't really answer that one without knowing more about the build. What sort of components will you be cooling? What sort of fans were you thinking of? How much radiator do you want? etc.

Hi Serephucus,

I want the maximum amount of radiator I can honestly fit comfortably. Ill be cooling a 5960x along with 4 x EVGA GTX titan X, both of which will be highly overclocked. From checking around the Magnum case from case-labs seems to be the only one to offer me the room i require. Fans will all be 120mm.

Note - I definitely don't want to go down the route of 320e in import taxes (for a case)

Thanks,

I'd advise 140mm rads, to be honest. When you get into cases as big as you're thinking, you get more bang for your buck.

The 900D from Corsair is also an option. I haven't looked at cases like that in quite a while, so I'm a little out of the loop. The 900D was the last one I remember. I think Fractal Design has a big one too. Define XL or something.

I thought about Caselabs as well - supposedly their build quality is unmatched - but I really don't like the cases aesthetically (Corsair's Obsidian line isn't much better, mind).

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭vlad2009

Just out of interest, do you game on an animal like that? or is it some special tasks that require so much awesome?

• Advertisement

Serephucus wrote: »
    I'd advise 140mm rads, to be honest. When you get into cases as big as you're thinking, you get more bang for your buck.

The 900D from Corsair is also an option. I haven't looked at cases like that in quite a while, so I'm a little out of the loop. The 900D was the last one I remember. I think Fractal Design has a big one too. Define XL or something.

I thought about Caselabs as well - supposedly their build quality is unmatched - but I really don't like the cases aesthetically (Corsair's Obsidian line isn't much better, mind).

I previously used lots of silver-stone cases in the past with some Lian-Li. I did note though they weren't as big as one would expect when you start loading it with 480mm rads.

I'v been looking Case-labs for a while now, however the import taxes is very much painful. the Case would cost around 1600e including shipping, and taxes @ 23% Plus an additional 6%. Very difficult though to find an alternative with the same level of growth potential for the future.

vlad2009 wrote: »
    Just out of interest, do you game on an animal like that? or is it some special tasks that require so much awesome?

Hi There,

I don't game at all. I use the PC for (a work from home substitute) for medical simulations.

Ahh I see, that's very cool!

If you have the room for it, you could do what I've always wanted to:

Put the computer on a test bench in another room, and run longer USB and video cables for your peripherals. You could even wire up your own little front panel for power/reset buttons as well. This way you don't have to think about the case at all, you can have the fans going as loud as you want, and you'll have a much quieter and smaller computer (effectively) at your desk.

Just a thought.

You are spending so much money on a case, that you should really just make one! it will be better than any case you can buy and it will look like you want it to. Probably sounds ambitious, but once you realise the potential and get to it, it wouldn't be so hard!

• Advertisement

You are spending so much money on a case, that you should really just make one! it will be better than any case you can buy and it will look like you want it to. Probably sounds ambitious, but once you realise the potential and get to it, it wouldn't be so hard!

unfortunately my friend metal fabrication would not be a strong skill of mine.

That's what I mean by it probably sounds ambitious! but you won't know until you try. It probably sounds mind boggling to you the same way a medical simulator sounds mind boggling to me haha.

However, Think about it this way, A case is nothing but a box, with access and ventilation. You could easily take example from all the cases you are looking at, take some notes, some important points, the do have's and the do not's and so on. all it needs is a basic frame>shell> ventilation> Sound proofing if needed. You could put a a much cheaper case 'under the blade' and use vital parts for attachments.

It's just a suggestion, If I needed a case that was so expensive I would definitely make my own, because for that money you can get some serious materials and you can have every possible bell and whistle you need.

That's what I mean by it probably sounds ambitious! but you won't know until you try. It probably sounds mind boggling to you the same way a medical simulator sounds mind boggling to me haha.

However, Think about it this way, A case is nothing but a box, with access and ventilation. You could easily take example from all the cases you are looking at, take some notes, some important points, the do have's and the do not's and so on. all it needs is a basic frame>shell> ventilation> Sound proofing if needed. You could put a a much cheaper case 'under the blade' and use vital parts for attachments.

It's just a suggestion, If I needed a case that was so expensive I would definitely make my own, because for that money you can get some serious materials and you can have every possible bell and whistle you need.

Thanks for your comments. I haven't really got the time for building a case, however, ill look into it.

I tend to like the easier way out in this regard.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭game4it70

This is a great case for wc with lots of options of rad sizes.It cant take 2x480 rads without any modding and there is room for more rads also.

Corsair Obsidian 900D

This is good too.

Phanteks Enthoo Primo

Thanks for the options. Good cases but I cant seem o find a case with the same level of support. So I may have to bite the bullet and go for it. slightly cheaper option is the MAGNUM TH10A.

Thanks for the options. Good cases but I cant seemt to find a case with the same level of support. So I may have to bite the bullet and go for it. slightly cheaper option is the MAGNUM TH10A.

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭viperirl

The MAGNUM TH10A would be my choice over the STH10 even if its styling might not be to your taste. The Magnum can take 4 thick 480 rads and the case depth means you have ample room at the back to hide away your PSU, cabling and tubing.
    4 Titans OC'd + CPU OC'd would require a nice bit of rad space especially if you want near silent operation.

I have the 900D myself. It can accept 2 480 rads + 1 280 rad. With 3 Titans my GPU's never go over 41 degrees. The 900D is definitely a much cheaper option than the Caselabs stuff.

viperirl wrote: »
    The MAGNUM TH10A would be my choice over the STH10 even if its styling might not be to your taste. The Magnum can take 4 thick 480 rads and the case depth means you have ample room at the back to hide away your PSU, cabling and tubing.
    4 Titans OC'd + CPU OC'd would require a nice bit of rad space especially if you want near silent operation.

I have the 900D myself. It can accept 2 480 rads + 1 280 rad. With 3 Titans my GPU's never go over 41 degrees. The 900D is definitely a much cheaper option than the Caselabs stuff.

Thanks, Checked it out, total cost including taxes/duty charges.
    Total customs value (CIF): €978.80
    This is the amount that customs values your import at
    - Duty: €58.73
    - VAT: €238.63
    Total import duty & taxes due: €297.36
    This is the amount that needs to be paid to customs
    Total landed cost: €1276.16

not for the faint of heart!

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭viperirl

XXXtitan wrote: »
    Thanks, Checked it out, total cost including taxes/duty charges.
    Total customs value (CIF): €978.80
    This is the amount that customs values your import at
    - Duty: €58.73
    - VAT: €238.63
    Total import duty & taxes due: €297.36
    This is the amount that needs to be paid to customs
    Total landed cost: €1276.16

not for the faint of heart!

The difference you'd save between that and the price of a 900D could be put towards a really good WC loop(s). No point skimping on the loop especially if you plan on overclocking the system as much as possible.

What kinda of Medical software are you running? Curious as to why you'd need 4 Titan X's for that. Would a Quadro card not be better optimised for scientific tasks albeit at the expense of noise (air cooling only)?

viperirl wrote: »
    The difference you'd save between that and the price of a 900D could be put towards a really good WC loop(s). No point skimping on the loop especially if you plan on overclocking the system as much as possible.

What kinda of Medical software are you running? Curious as to why you'd need 4 Titan X's for that. Would a Quadro card not be better optimised for scientific tasks albeit at the expense of noise (air cooling only)?

I use Quaddro GPUs in work, this is simply a work from home machine. I use a variety of sftware, mainly CAE Caesar,Gaumard, Laerdal SimMan Trauma simulator. I also analyse molecular medicines using LAMMPS.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

Its great when employer and the revenue commissioners pay for your quad titanX uber gaming Medical software work rig ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Luck100

photos please if/when it gets built :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭deceit

Hi Folks,

Thanks for the input. I'll start uploading some pictures once I get the parts.

Cheers,

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

XXXtitan wrote: »
    Hi Folks,

Thanks for the input. I'll start uploading some pictures once I get the parts.

Cheers,

Jayztwocents on youtube did a pretty awesome water cooled build using that caselabs case in his project skunkworks videos.

Hi All,

Just a FYI. I decided to go with the MAGNUM TH10A.

So est delivery is 20-25 business days. once i receive it ill upload some pics.

Advertisement