Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Linkedin?

Options
  • 30-03-2015 8:25pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 531 ✭✭✭

Hello all. OK I have 2 questions, 1: Say I make a Linkedin account while in Ireland can I write in my linkedin account that I am looking for work in Canada or do I have to go to Canada and open up my account there? 2: If one goes to Canada as a visitor and then looks for a job and finds one can you get a work permit while in Canada? Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Long Gone

fontdor wrote: »
    Hello all. OK I have 2 questions, 1: Say I make a Linkedin account while in Ireland can I write in my linkedin account that I am looking for work in Canada or do I have to go to Canada and open up my account there? 2: If one goes to Canada as a visitor and then looks for a job and finds one can you get a work permit while in Canada? Thank you.

Linkedin is not geographical - It is an internet based website. As regards a work permit, it is a general principle of immigration policy in most countries that you cannot change your immigration status while in the country. i.e. If you enter as a tourist you cannot then change to some other immigration status while in the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭circular flexing

Long Gone wrote: »
    As regards a work permit, it is a general principle of immigration policy in most countries that you cannot change your immigration status while in the country. i.e. If you enter as a tourist you cannot then change to some other immigration status while in the country.

That's correct. However you can flagpole, which basically means going to the nearest land border crossing with the US. It's a pretty common way of activating a work permit

http://www.visatalk.ca/flagpoling/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 531 ✭✭✭fontdor

That's correct. However you can flagpole, which basically means going to the nearest land border crossing with the US. It's a pretty common way of activating a work permit

http://www.visatalk.ca/flagpoling/

Thank you so basically if one goes to Canada as a tourist and finds a job and then gets a work permit they must flagpole in order to activate the permit?

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭fergusb

Just to warn you, trying to get a job without a work permit will be very difficult, most companies won't look at you if you legally cannot work. Unless you have a niche skill its unlikely a company will sponsor a work permit for someone they do not know.

I fact I think if you enter the country on a tourist Visa, you are not allowed to look/apply for jobs. You best bet if you want to move to Canada is go down the IEC Visa route if you are under 35.

Advertisement