Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parker Hale Silencer Baffles are in Bits

Options
  • 30-03-2015 8:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭

Well lads,
    Opened my Parker hale silencer with a vice grips for the first time,It was an old one i got with the gun i got a year ago.To my shock i found this :o
    No wonder groups were all over the place lately!

Would it be possible to use the empty shell to try silence the shot until i get a new one or would this be a stupid idea lads?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

it wont really do much at all without any baffles. i would replace it with a sak mod they are better in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭1shot16

Thanks juice,Wont be near a gun shop till i go back to school,They have SAK in stock will pick up one of them...

Any ideas how this happened?HV ammo?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,970 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

That's the way it's supposed to look, those little humps on the baffles aren't the result of a strike in the mod, they're there to catch the passing gases.

The baffles could do with a cleaning though :pac:

Really?Though this was why the gun was shooting way to the right past 50 yards?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,970 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Here's a set of brand new baffles showing the same humps;

PHSSB_small.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Chuck the whole lot in a can of petrol for a day or so.
    Clean everything with a nylon dish pad and dry lightly oil all threads and parts and try it again.
    Reckon your groups will be much better.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Dont have the re aliment too is only problem!

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Hilux2005

As the guys have said thats how there supposed to look I have the same moderator and i clean it in an ultrasonic cleaner works a treat.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Did you try the rifle without the mod on as i said in your other thread? There is no point in trying to fix a problem with the mod if the mod is not the issue.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Didnt get a chance cass weather is very bad since im home which is only since friday

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Stop looking for other problems until you try this first. If shooting without the mod does not solve your problem then start to look for other causes. If you look at, and consider too many issues, then you'll bankrupt yourself fixing non existing problems as well as do your own head in.

Common causes include:
    1. Scope - Self explanatory really. A faulty scope will "jump" with each shot, not track, etc.
    2. Mounts - If they are not tight enough, misaligned, etc. they can cause issues with zeroing.
    3. Ammo - Depending on twist rate and what your gun likes poor quality or just a "bad fit" ammo will cause zeroing issues. Solution is to try various brands/weights and see which works.
    4. Suppressor - If the threading of the rifle is not done properly, or on the rare occasion the threading of the Mod is not correct, you will get a misaligned suppressor causing the ammo to clip the mod on leaving. This clipping can be so subtle you might not see it. A way to test is line the inside of the muzzle of the mod with tip-ex or something similar and when you fire a round check to see if there is mark or void in the tip-ex (or whatever you've used). If so you can try and bore out the mod or get the rifle re-threaded.
    5. Stock - If the stock is touching the barreled action it can interfere with the barrel harmonics.
    6. Crown - If the crown is damaged it will cause widening of the groups. It's a small area and unless you know what you're looking for you might not see a problem. Gunsmith can check and re-crown if necessary.

There are some things you can do to check the above.
    1. Scope - If you had it on another rifle and it worked then grand, however a hmr is a different animal to a Swift so try the scope on another centrefire rifle. A mate's. Also a box test might be useful when on the other rifle.
    2. Mounts - Check that the screws are tight and that the mounts are not shifting on the receiver/rail. Also check the scope is held in the mounts and not slipping in the rings.
    3. Ammo - Try different brands, and different weights of ammo. See which performs the best.
    4. Suppressor - Shoot the rifle with the mod off and see if the problem persists. If so the mod is the issue. If not then it's not the mod. Or not ONLY the mod. Bring to gunsmith to check/repair.
    5. Stock - Slide a piece of folded paper up along the top of stock/bottom of barrel and it should be able to get to the front of the receiver/action without obstruction. If it sticks at any point then mark the stock and look at sanding the stock. If it's composite the same applies.
    6. Crown - Bring to gunsmith.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

When the weather clears up ill give the no silencer a try and let you know!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,788 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

1shot16 wrote: »

Any ideas how this happened?HV ammo?

You would be better off using LV ammo instead of HV ammo. LV works far better with .22lr moderators.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭extremetaz

22 ammo is filthy stuff in any case - ya gotta pay attention to the housekeeping. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,352 ✭✭✭J.R.

1shot16 wrote: »
    Dont have the re aliment too is only problem!

Make sure after cleaning that you put all the baffles in the right way round......there is a flat washer and a split washer (in your photo LHS 2 & 3 from top) that go at the end to keep all tight, aligned & in place.

I couldn't find the alignment tool for ages.....a narrow pencil will do the job...I was able to do it with the rod from my shotgun cleaning kit, which is the narrow rod variety.

Here is how to do it properly

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGrGCnStmrk&t=37

Advertisement