Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neanderthal stapes found

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,161 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Well, we could have kids with each other so completely different species I'd reckon is a stretch. Though there was enough of a genetic gap that hybrids had some fertility issues. We weren't as close as dogs and wolves, more like dogs and coyotes.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,279 ✭✭✭Adam Khor

I've never liked that definition of species (the "if they can produce offspring together they're the same species thing). Tigers and lions are most obviously different species yet they can produce hybrids, sometimes even fertile ones. But they act, look, sound and are genetically different and have been for over three million years.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,161 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Aye but it's a very rare event AK and successive breedings are almost entirely sterile. I would agree on the same species idea. After all a great Dane and a Pug are most definitely the same species, but in practical terms… I would call us and Neandertals(and others) a little closer than that. We obviously had enough genetic commonality where we got it on and left 4 odd % of their genetics in us today(and much higher in the past. QV Otzi). We were sub species of each anyway. Not unlike dogs and coyotes.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Advertisement