Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband not really broadband at peak times?

Options
  • 30-03-2015 11:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭

Around 8pm - midnight every day I get low download speeds and high pings. At all other times it's perfect 12Mbs download and 25ms ping to local services. I've had Eircom dsl for years and had been very happy with it. Because I live about a mile from the exchange I don't get the fastest speed available but up until now it had always been a stable and reliable service. At off peak times it's perfect.
    I've added images of what my connection is like at peak times. As you can see from the tracert the problem is within the Eircom network. 

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Here's some images of what my broadband is like during offpeak.
    As you can see it works perfectly. Low ping and maxing out the speed my line can sync at.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭eircom: Alan

Hi tuxy

Please feel free to PM me your eircom account number & I'll look in to this for you

Thanks
    Al

Ok, PM sent

tuxy wrote: »
    Ok, PM sent
    Thanks tuxy

I'll be back to you as soon as possible

Cheers
    Al

I don't know if this is part of the same problem but I've had no internet since 5pm today. The dsl light is on but I don't get any wan ip.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 795 ✭✭✭eircom: Tracey

I don't know if this is part of the same problem but I've had no internet since 5pm today. The dsl light is on but I don't get any wan ip.
    Hi tuxy, 

I'm sorry to hear your service went down. Al advised you of some issues you may encounter yesterday evening. 

The service should be back up and running now for you.

Thanks 

Tracey 

Yes it's back now thanks. Is there any update on my original problem?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 795 ✭✭✭eircom: Tracey

Yes it's back now thanks. Is there any update on my original problem?
    Ok perfect, I'm glad to hear it. 

This is still being investigated for you by the support team, as soon as I hear back I'll update you. 

Thanks

Tracey 

Hi tuxy

Can you please run a speed test and confirm if you notice an improvement with your speeds?

Thanks
    AL

Everything is good right now like it always was at off peak times. I'll test again around 9pm this evening to see if it's still good.

Thanks.

• Advertisement

Everything is good right now like it always was at off peak times. I'll test again around 9pm this evening to see if it's still good.

Thanks.
    Thanks tuxy - Keep me update please

Cheers
    Al

Update, so as I said earlier my connection was good 13Mbs download and 25ms pings to local servers.
    Now at 9pm I'm getting less than half that speed and high pings as I always do in the evenings so no change there unfortunately. My main concern is ping time as high ping makes it very difficult to play game online. As you can see from the tracert the problem is located within the Eircom network. I've attached screenshots of what my connect is like right now.

Update, so as I said earlier my connection was good 13Mbs download and 25ms pings to local servers.
    Now at 9pm I'm getting less than half that speed and high pings as I always do in the evenings so no change there unfortunately. My main concern is ping time as high ping makes it very difficult to play game online. As you can see from the tracert the problem is located within the Eircom network. I've attached screenshots of what my connect is like right now.
    Hi tuxy

I'm sorry to hear of this, having raised this with technical support again the best advice they could offer me is to ask you to contact them when indeed the issues occur again as they will need to run tests in real time (when the issues occur). I'm sorry I can't do more for you on this Tuxy.

Thanks
    Al

I'd say 10pm would be the best time to check that's when my connection is at its worst.
    What's the best way to contact support at that time?

I'd say 10pm would be the best time to check that's when my connection is at its worst.
    What's the best way to contact support at that time?

Hi Tuxy,

Technical support close at 10pm I'm afraid, as you previously advised that the issues begin at 8pm I would recommend calling at approximately 9.15 or 9.30 juts so they get a better idea of the extent of the impact.

Thanks
    Al

Hi Alan,
    Something very strange is going on can you look into it for me?
    I called support last Friday and was told they would look into the problem this week.
    Around that time our home phone stopped working. We get the automated message saying there is no service on the line.
    This morning we got a letter about a connection fee to Eircom Broadband. We have been using Eircom broadband for at least 8 years so why would we get a letter about a connection fee now?
    After spending over an hour on the phone trying to sort the problem I'm told the old way to get our phone service back is to sign up as a new customer.
    We have gone ahead and done that as we don't want to be with out phone service.
    The sales person said there was no record of a cancellation request but is showing up as no service on the line.
    He was really surprised we had broadband still since the system says there is no service.
    I'm really confused and would like to know what's happening.

Hi Alan,
    Something very strange is going on can you look into it for me?
    I called support last Friday and was told they would look into the problem this week.
    Around that time our home phone stopped working. We get the automated message saying there is no service on the line.
    This morning we got a letter about a connection fee to Eircom Broadband. We have been using Eircom broadband for at least 8 years so why would we get a letter about a connection fee now?
    After spending over an hour on the phone trying to sort the problem I'm told the old way to get our phone service back is to sign up as a new customer.
    We have gone ahead and done that as we don't want to be with out phone service.
    The sales person said there was no record of a cancellation request but is showing up as no service on the line.
    He was really surprised we had broadband still since the system says there is no service.
    I'm really confused and would like to know what's happening.
    Hi tuxy

Can you take a phone call?

Thanks
    Al

Yes, I will mail you my mobile number

Yes, I will mail you my mobile number
    Thanks for taking my call tuxy

Please get back to me whenever you wish

Thanks
    AL

Will do, thanks for sorting my problem so swiftly.

• Advertisement

Will do, thanks for sorting my problem so swiftly.
    No Problem at all tuxy

Al

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭griffzinho

My line is congested. Every night during peak times I get a fraction of my day time download speed. Typically 20% of my speed. 
    I am paying for uncongested broadband so this is not acceptable. Can you look into it asap please (Eircom Rep)

I've been meaning to post an update on here. I'm still having the same problem in the evenings. My connection is perfect at off peak times, probably a little better than it was before, 13Mbit download and under 25ms pings. But peak time is still as bad as it has been for months.  I'm getting 2-6Mbit download and 100ms between 8pm and midnight. 
    When I talked to technical support last Friday I was told I was not in a congested area but what else could explain consistently having this problem at the same time every day? 
    Technical support told me they would get back to me on Wednesday but I have not heard from them. Maybe having a different account number has something to do with that. Al how should I proceed from here?

griffzinho what part of the country are you in? I wonder is this a wide spread problem or just something in certain areas, I'm in North Tipp.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭griffzinho

Hi, I'm based in Clonakilty. It's defo a contention issue. It's only at peak times that my connection suffers. I fear we are being lied to about 'uncongested' broadband. 

It is so obviously not uncongested unfortunately. 

The thing about it that is that peak time is also the time we want to use it (as does everyone else).

Can someone please sort this out asap. €53/month for this service.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭tinyk68

Tuxy I'm in South tipp and have been through the exact same problem with eircom. Having spent three weeks talking to tech support and being told my line wasn't congested an engineer was sent to check it out. He said that there are four hundred people on the one line at an older exchange and the line just couldn't cope. By the way, at peak times our download speed is 0.2 mbs and ping could be 400. When I asked eircom what could be done they said I would just have to wait until the line was upgraded but they couldn't give me any idea when that might happen. I hope you get your problem sorted but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Hi Al, I sent you a pm about the bill I got for my old account number. I can't remember what you told me to do with it. 

Hi Al, I sent you a pm about the bill I got for my old account number. I can't remember what you told me to do with it. 
    No worries tuxy

I'll be back to you shortly, are you able to take another call?

Cheers
    Al

No worries tuxy

Cheers
    Al
    I'm free for the next 20 mins if you can call if not I can take a call on Monday.

No worries tuxy

Cheers
    Al
    I'm free for the next 20 mins if you can call if not I can take a call on Monday.
    Thanks for taking my call tuxy

Al

• Advertisement

Things were looking up today after a terrible weekend I had a good connection up until 19:30. But that didn't last unfortinatlly and I'm getting 1.7 mbit right now.

Eircom tech support called me today and told me they tested my connection at peak time over the weekend and there was no issue at all. I explained that this weekend was very bad and he seemed sceptical. I'm unsure if Eircom have a poor testing policy or just blatantly lie about the the situation.

I was always under the impression that changing provider would be a bad as it's just a resold Eircom product but I have no other choice. I'm calling Vodafone tomorrow. Even if their service is as appalling at least it's a bit cheaper. 
    I've included a speed test screenshot of my current speed, as said before I always get 13mbit at off peak times yet Eircom tell me there is no congestion problems. 

Advertisement