Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband not really broadband at peak times?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Just a quick update to this it's almost midnight and my connection is good again. No use to me as I'm about to go to bed.
    HOW can technical support continue to say there is no congestion issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭jay93

They know it is they just don't want to admit to it most likely changing providers won't help it might even get worse . Mine syncs at 16.7Mb/s but I only get 14Mb/s in the evening it might drop down to around 9-10Mb/s but it hasn't gone any lower than that . My exchange is been worked on for efibre not expecting great speeds from that really as I'm 1KM from the exchange but anything will be better that what I got now .

I have to admit I am a bit worried about switching especially since Eircom have messed up my account and at least my internet is usable at off peaK times. For all I know I could end up on a more congested port with vodafone. 
    It sounds like you are getting a much better service than me jay, 13mbit that becomes 1.7 is some serious congestion.
    My exchange is due an upgrade to efibre, I can't get it as I'd say my line is about 2km long. 
    Do you know if they will be upgrading capacity at the exchange when it's upgraded?
    It might even make things worse. :(

Serious stability problems again tonight, high pings and low download speeds with the problem peaking around 10pm as usual. I will keep a log of my connection on this thread if that's useful. 
    It's definitely not congestion as far as technical support is concerned. 
    Alan you advised me to make some kind of official complaint about the issue when we last spoke. I'm unsure where I should be making this complaint, is it to comreg?

Alan I've just had an engineer call to my house. My line is perfect as I expected. He made a phone call and could confirm that the problem is congestion. He said they are aware of the problem but there is no plan in place to fix it. He seemed to think the problem may be with Limerick or Portlaoise not Nenagh.
    This followed the pattern I expected, technical support denying the congestion problem but when a customer finally gets an engineer out to the house they are willing to confirm that the problem is congestion. 
    He said that he could give me know further information, can you please find out when this known widespread problem will be fixed on the Eircom network.
    At what point in the future will Eircom once again provide uncongested broadband? 

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭tinyk68

This is exactly what happened to me. Eircom could not give me any timeline for the upgrade of the exchange in my area. I switched to Vodafone a week ago. So far, so good. The speed test results are a little faster, although not much but the ping is a lot better and pages are loading faster on phones and laptop. It's also cheaper. I think it's awful to be given the runaround in this way from Eircom in this way. I thought it was just me but you're telling my story so it's obviously happening to you too. Good luck with your complaint.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭griffzinho

I would advise anyone experiencing congestion to contact the National Consumer Agency and make a complaint and also to contact COMREG in order to make a complaint there as well. 

Customer service is not the answer.

That's what I will probably end up doing.
    But to be fair to Alan the two times I talked to him on the phone he was helpful.

There are a few things I would like to know.

Why did technical support tell me there was no congestiuon issues when it is known that there are?
    Why was my line moved to a different port if the congestion problem is not at my exchange?
    Why did Eircom waste the time of an engineer, there was no need for him to call to my door to tell me there was congestion problems on the Eircom network?
    Why is there no date set for a resolution of this congestion issue?
    When will I have my normal service resumed?
    Will Eircom be removing the uncongested claim from their adverts and banner on their site until this matter is resolved?

Alan can you keep me updated on this as you are the only member of Eircom staff that has beem reasonable to deal with?

That's what I will probably end up doing.
    But to be fair to Alan the two times I talked to him on the phone he was helpful.

There are a few things I would like to know.

Why did technical support tell me there was no congestiuon issues when it is known that there are?
    Why was my line moved to a different port if the congestion problem is not at my exchange?
    Why did Eircom waste the time of an engineer? There was no need for him to call to my door to tell me there was congestion problems on the Eircom network.
    Why is there no date set for a resolution of this congestion issue?
    When will I have my normal service resumed?
    Will Eircom be removing the uncongested claim from their adverts and banner on their site until this matter is resolved?

Alan can you keep me updated on this as you are the only member of Eircom staff that has beem reasonable to deal with?

Alan my new bill came for my new account number and I was charged a connection fee yet again. You promised me in two seperatate phone call that this would not happen. What is going on?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭eircom: Alan

tuxy wrote: »
    Alan my new bill came for my new account number and I was charged a connection fee yet again. You promised me in two seperatate phone call that this would not happen. What is going on?
    Hi tuxy

Please PM me your new account number and I'll check this out for you. Sometimes under "service and connection charges" it may look like a connection charge but in reality it's a service charge for the period of when service was active to the beginning of the billing date (see top of bill and note that the bill is in advance of one month. Again, feel free to PM me the new account number and I'll look in to this further,

Thanks
    Al

€128 for line rental and broadband for one month(13 May - 12 June) when I subtract call charges. That can't be right.
    PM sent

€128 for line rental and broadband for one month(13 May - 12 June) when I subtract call charges. That can't be right.
    PM sent
    I am aware that this is a matter of concern for you tuxy however I will need to request clarification on this and get back to you later today.

However at this moment in time the charges are not for just one month they are for (see service and connection charges) it is for almost two months beginning from line installation of 13th of April and broadband from 14th of April.

I will get back to you with more information later today

Al

That makes sense thanks. 
    Are you still looking into why an engineer called to my house to tell me my problem was in fact congestion and it is a know issue but no date is set to resolve it.

This is how my broadband package is described on the Eircom website

We say "up to" because the broadband speeds your line can receive may vary - this can depend on factors such as how far you are from your local exchange. With our uncongested Broadband you will not share your broadband connection with other internet users in your area - even at peak hours of the day! This ensures you will always receive the fastest speed your line can support and delivers a consistent online experience for you.
    My line synchronises at 15Mbit, I get this speed at off peak times but can never get it at peak times.

Can you confirm I am on this product?

https://www.eircom.net/broadband/ngbProductDetails

That makes sense thanks. 
    Are you still looking into why an engineer called to my house to tell me my problem was in fact congestion and it is a know issue but no date is set to resolve it.

This is how my broadband package is described on the Eircom website

We say "up to" because the broadband speeds your line can receive may vary - this can depend on factors such as how far you are from your local exchange. With our uncongested Broadband you will not share your broadband connection with other internet users in your area - even at peak hours of the day! This ensures you will always receive the fastest speed your line can support and delivers a consistent online experience for you.
    My line synchronises at 15Mbit, I get this speed at off peak times but can never get it at peak times.

Can you confirm I am on this product?

https://www.eircom.net/broadband/ngbProductDetails
    No worries tuxy

Yes, I have escalated this (reports of congestion) to our operations teams and as soon as I have more information I will of course let you know right away. I have escalated this beyond the level of a normal line fault so unfortunately I cannot offer you a time frame of when I may have more information.

Thanks
    Al

I understand that Alan but Eircom have been wasting my time for almost 2 months now. Why tell me it's not congestion and change around ports at the exchange when it's a wider congestion problem?

I'm still having problems with the new bill. We wanted to keep everything the same. Before you called me to reconnect my phone that time we were told the only way to get service back was to setup a direct debit so my mother gave her bank details. You assured us everything would continue as before. However now a direct debit has been taken from her account. 
    Alan can you explain what exactly is happening? All this because I wanted an issue(that I'm still dealing with) to be looked into.

Any idea why an unauthorised direct debit was taken from my mothers account?

Should the bank be contacted? It's worrying that money would be taken without consent.
    Download speeds are now 1 Mbit at night. I'd actually be in a better position if I had never reported the fault. 

Should the bank be contacted? It's worrying that money would be taken without consent.
    Download speeds are now 1 Mbit at night. I'd actually be in a better position if I had never reported the fault. 
    Hi tuxy

I was unaware that direct debit details were provided, the fastest way to revers the payment is contacting your bank for a reversal which I believe can be arranged quite easily.

I will request removal of the direct debit from your mothers account however I have yetto have an update on the congestion issues you have raised. I have been previously advised that this is being investigated at a higher (networks) level and as soon as their findings are complete I will be notified. I have not yet been notified but I will of course request an update and let you know of any further information I obtain.

Thanks
    Al

Bank details were provided before I contacted you, we were told that it was the only way to get phone service back. Apparently it was needed to setup the new account however we were also told that we could continue to pay as normal and no direct debit would be taken from the account.
    If you can confirm that no further direct debits will be taken that would be great.

I got a call from Eircom support yesterday. They insist on sending another engineer out on Monday. Unless my line is breaking every evening at 9pm and then repairing itself at midnight I don't see the point.

• Advertisement

So the same engineer called again, he changed the port I was connected to again. Still the exact same problem at peak times . Why waste time sending someone who repairs line faults when the problem is somewhere within Eircom's network?

He also said I should be able to get Fibre from the exchange in about a month even though I'm about 2km away, is this correct?

Actually I was wrong it has made a difference, my connection of 13mbit stable at offpeak times is now 0.6 mbit at 10pm

Actually I was wrong it has made a difference, my connection of 13mbit stable at offpeak times is now 0.6 mbit at 10pm
    Hi tuxy

I'm glad to hear the speeds have stabilised during off peak times. I am awaiting further clarification from our Networks team in relation to the slow speeds at night, as soon as I have an update I will let you know right away. Unfortunately cases which are escalated to Networks cannot be given a time frame but I can assure you this is being looked in to.

Unfortunately you are too far from the cabinets to avail of efibre tuxy.

Thanks
    AL

My speeds have always been stable at off peak times, that's why I'm baffled by all the line checks by engineers. What I was saying is that my speed is even slower at peak times now so the problem is getting worse. How can an uncongested connection be about 20 time slower at peak times?

It's good to know it's been looked into but it's already been 2 months now since I reported the problem and still no update.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,708 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

It's throttling. The exchanges can't cope with all the different plans that people have so they're rationing

Ally Dick wrote: »
    It's throttling. The exchanges can't cope with all the different plans that people have so they're rationing
    Why do you think that's the cause? Do you have the same problem?
    It's weird how it goes from bad to fine again in the space of a few minutes usually some time after 11:30

• Registered Users Posts: 12,708 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

Ally Dick wrote: »
    Why do you think that's the cause? Do you have the same problem?
    It's weird how it goes from bad to fine again in the space of a few minutes usually some time after 11:30
    To be honest, it's just my theory. I used to be a customer but left because felt lied to when they signed me on to "up to 24 Meg" broadband, even though they knew the max the line could take was only 3 Meg! Remember as well when they offer you a new deal, there is a sneaky 18 month implied contract attached that you only find out after you verbally agree to change. I got out when speeds plunged to under 1 Meg. This is the same thing you have noticed. When I went to cancel, the girl in cancellations tried to tell me that no matter which rival I went to, speeds would never improve. I had to remind her that fibre optic broadband was not subject to antiquated Eircom copper line constraints. I didn't hang around for eFibre. Went to a rival with fibre optic capability and now have 90 Meg broadband all the time. I still have my phone with Eircom though

Just an update. I now have no internet or phone. I called support and they seem to think it has something to do with the fact an engineer called to me on Monday. So after having almost unusable internet in the evenings for months I now have no internet at all and I have to wait for an engineer to call yet again. The more contact I have with Eircom the worse the problem gets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭eircom: Tony

Just an update. I now have no internet or phone. I called support and they seem to think it has something to do with the fact an engineer called to me on Monday. So after having almost unusable internet in the evenings for months I now have no internet at all and I have to wait for an engineer to call yet again. The more contact I have with Eircom the worse the problem gets.

[font=Times New Roman","serif]Hi tuxy

I can appreciate the frustration caused by this. I have contacted our operations team in relation to the fault logged on your account & I will get back to you as soon as I have an update.

Fault ref no - 12781135

Thanks

Tony[/font]

[font=Times New Roman","serif] [/font]

• Advertisement

Thanks Tony

Advertisement