Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Darkest film that could be considered 'comedy'?

2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,867 ✭✭✭eternal

Birneybau wrote: »
    What's funny about 'The Shining'?

It's a horror not a comedy. Sheesh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

What is the darkest film that could be considered a 'comedy'? Many will say Dr Strangelove, as it deals with nuclear annihilation and the end of the world.

Some might say Pulp Fiction, as it derives humour from things as absurd and outrageous as a gun accidentally going off and killing someone, and having to deal with the consequences of cleaning up their brain matter.

For me, the darkest film which could still be called a comedy is Todd Solondz's Happiness. One of its main characters is a psychiatrist named Bill (Dylan Baker) who is, unbeknownst to those around him, sexually attracted to children.

At one point he desperately attempts (eventually succeeding) to drug his son's adolescent friend so that he can sexually assault him (which he does, off-screen).

The scene in which he tries to find out what his son's friend would like to eat, while his wife is oblivious, is both funny and extremely dark.

Dude, Where's My Car?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,357 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

eternal wrote: »
    It's a horror not a comedy. Sheesh.

So, we agree? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭MakeEmLaugh

MadDog76 wrote: »
    Dude, Where's My Car?

You're hilarious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

In the Company of Men is very dark and very enjoyable.

Also, Texas Chainsaw is not a comedy at all, dark or otherwise.

:confused:

Oh, I also rewatched Bad Boy Bubby recently, some genuine laugh out loud moments but jaysus it is dark!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 383 ✭✭surpy

Everyone seems to think that film about the teenager who is given alcohol and then raped by an older neighbour then gets abused by the community and almost disowned for bringing shame on her family is hilarious. I thought it was pretty dark

I think it's called the snapper

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭parttime

Natural Born Killers is both very dark and very funny

Chopper
    Grosse Pointe Blank
    The War Of The Roses
    Fargo
    Evil Dead 2
    Misery
    Man Bites Dog
    To Die For
    The Cable Guy
    Very Bad Things
    Ravenous
    Shaun Of The Dead
    Killer Joe

Some of my favourites ..........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭kenco

Crash was truly disturbing (though lots of people laughed)

Boxing Helena (viewed while I was in the US which might explain a lot) was regarded as a comedy by around 80% of the cinema....)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,608 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

A Film With Me In It.

Or if a short film would do, Six Shooter. Incredibly dark, felt very guilty for laughing, but just couldn't stop myself.:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Turtyturd wrote: »
    The Day the Clown Cried?

Hard enough to catch that though.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

First film that popped into my head on seeing the thread title was Dogtooth. Very funny in a pitch-black sort of way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,981 ✭✭✭KomradeBishop

How has nobody mentioned Network yet? Best of the lot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,981 ✭✭✭KomradeBishop

Also, depending on how you watch the film - taking it seriously vs viewing it as melodramatic to the point of unintentional humour - Requiem for a Dream could easily be misinterpreted as a dark comedy :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Also, depending on how you watch the film - taking it seriously vs viewing it as melodramatic to the point of unintentional humour - Requiem for a Dream could easily be misinterpreted as a dark comedy :pac:

Taking into account things like the music accompanying the scene of the mother developing an amphetamine habit from her diet pills, I'm sure that there was dark humour intended for at least a few scenes in RfaD.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

Fiddy Fiddy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Saralee4

MadDog76 wrote: »
    Chopper
    Grosse Pointe Blank
    The War Of The Roses
    Fargo
    Evil Dead 2
    Misery
    Man Bites Dog
    To Die For
    The Cable Guy
    Very Bad Things
    Ravenous
    Shaun Of The Dead
    Killer Joe

Some of my favourites ..........

My brother just showed me a clip from chopper and I couldn't stop laughing! I have to watch the full movie.

That scene were he beats the inmate up and the guy is lying in a pool of blood and when the guards come in, chopper says "looks like Keithy's done himself a mischief" in the Australian accent is so evil and funny at the same time. Can't wait to watch the whole movie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Saralee4

Did anyone mention Fight Club! There were some funny parts in that.

Saralee4 wrote: »
    My brother just showed me a clip from chopper and I couldn't stop laughing! I have to watch the full movie.

That scene were he beats the inmate up and the guy is lying in a pool of blood and when the guards come in, chopper says "looks like Keithy's done himself a mischief" in the Australian accent is so evil and funny at the same time. Can't wait to watch the whole movie.

There's a reason it's at the top of my list, must have watched it over a dozen times and never get bored of it .......... enjoy!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭The other fella

Chopper: Now look what you've done...Your Mums upset!

Chopper: Now look what you've done...Your Mums upset!

:D So many classic scenes/lines ......... think I'll watch it again tonight!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Adamantium

The Room IS America- Tommy Wisceau's own words.

Chopper is just brilliant.

On the DVD I have of it there are interview scenes between Bana and Chooper before the movie was shot as he wanted to get the likeness as close as he could.

It is scary how much Bana nailed it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

What's funny about 'The Shining'?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Another vote for Man bites Dog.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭grimm2005

Just saw "The Voices" in the cinema the other day. Quite dark in places but definitely a comedy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Simon2015

Falling down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

Oh, I also rewatched Bad Boy Bubby recently, some genuine laugh out loud moments but jaysus it is dark!

The first 35 minutes basically anything in the mothers flat is pretty grim from incest to dead cats. Once Bubby gets out of the flat the film becomes one of the funniest and most profound films you are likely to see. amazing really. But the first 35 minutes is where the films grim reputation is built.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

Arsenic and Old Lace (1944)

Kind Hearts and Coronets (1949)

Harold and Maude (1971)

Brazil (1985)

Delicatessen (1991)

The Cable Guy (1996)

These are some of the best dark comedies you are likely to see.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Death to Smoochy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 136 ✭✭Den14

In Bruges

Worlds greatest dad.

Pretty much anything from Bobcat Goldwaith (probably spelled wrong) is deeply black comedy. What's insane to think is that the son in that is the brother from Spy Kids.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Right Turn Clyde

I notice a lot of people are listing black comedies, but is that what the OP is looking for? The more interesting suggestions are films that are not supposed to be comedic, but which contain funny moments. Someone mentioned Falling Down. That's a perfect example. I'm satisfied that the humour in there is totally unintentional. For me, black comedies are still comedies. They're supposed to be funny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,357 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

I notice a lot of people are listing black comedies, but is that what the OP is looking for? The more interesting suggestions are films that are not supposed to be comedic, but which contain funny moments. Someone mentioned Falling Down. That's a perfect example. I'm satisfied that the humour in there is totally unintentional. For me, black comedies are still comedies. They're supposed to be funny.

The title is "Darkest film that could be considered 'comedy" so I think that's exactly what they are looking for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Right Turn Clyde

The title is "Darkest film that could be considered 'comedy" so I think that's exactly what they are looking for.

Yeah, perhaps you're right. I guess I've just read it wrong.

I'm not sure if anyone's mentioned Bronson, but I thought that was somewhat funny, although in a very bizarre way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭sxt

11:14 was dark wholesome fun, and it starred Patrick Swayze which is always a bonus

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

I found Headhunters to be pretty damn funny during some of it's dark moments. I thought that particular dog scene was hilarious.

Advertisement