Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wrestlers you feel could have made it but never did.

• 30-03-2015 11:52pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭

As the title says......

What guys do you think could have made it as solid main eventers but for whatever reason, never quite made it?

I have 2 guys in mind at the minute so I'll kick it off.

Sean O'Haire - He had absolutely everything you'd expect a WWE main eventer to have, I really feel they missed the boat with him as a monster heel, he even looked like an evil genius. A shame how his life ended up considering the talent he had and how successful he was in WCW.

Low Ki - Now I know he got his run, which was pathetic but I just don't understand why he wasnt picked up years before he was. One of my favourite indy guys for years, I always imagined him main eventing WWE PPVs for years with CM Punk but for some reason it never happened. Maybe it was his size that went against him in the days of Khali etc, maybe it was because he worked too stiff.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭Sirsok

Paul Burchill..... Remember first seeing him in the FWA on the wrestling channel and was completely blown away. They presented him like Goldberg as he was big but he could move like a cruiser weight. Had many runs as OVW champ with the ripper gimmick but alas he came into WWE at the wrong time. A time where they didn't really care about developing talent. A pirate turned incesteous brother..... 'Twas a real shame

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Ken Shamrock

Dolph Ziggler
    Raven
    RVD (Was there for a very brief time)
    Rick Rude
    Mr Perfect

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Dolph Ziggler
    Raven
    RVD (Was there for a very brief time)
    Rick Rude
    Mr Perfect

Rick Rude and Mr Perfect very much did "make it". They may not have won World Championships but they were top of the card attractions for years.

Too early to say for certain re Ziggler. Still has time on his side.

Raven did very well for himself given his limited talent. He was a great promo man, but that was it.

My input here would be Test in the late 90s. He had the crowd with him and was in decent matches. I felt they needed to put him up top around then, but it never happened.

That said a few years earlier I couldn't understand why Ahmed Johnson wasn't world champ, so what do I know!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Mike Awesome was such wasted potential.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Mr.Kennedy
    Barry Windham
    Razor Ramon(he obviously had a great run but he should have been WWE Champ)
    Marty Janetty
    Jake Roberts
    Teddy Hart
    Shelton Benjamin
    John Morrison
    MVP

Obviously some of these guys can still change this but right now i'd say all of the above underachieved for one reason or another.

• Advertisement

gimmick wrote: »
    Rick Rude and Mr Perfect very much did "make it". They may not have won World Championships but they were top of the card attractions for years.

Too early to say for certain re Ziggler. Still has time on his side.

Raven did very well for himself given his limited talent. He was a great promo man, but that was it.

My input here would be Test in the late 90s. He had the crowd with him and was in decent matches. I felt they needed to put him up top around then, but it never happened.

That said a few years earlier I couldn't understand why Ahmed Johnson wasn't world champ, so what do I know!?

I'd disagree with Rude and Perfect being a solid main eventer goes hand in hand with holding the strap at least once IMO.

Test is a decent shout But opposite to Raven I'm not sure he'd have the charisma and mic skills to hold onto a top spot, although a mouth piece could have worked. You're on your own for Ahmed :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭cagefactor

Roman Reigns - Could have made it but never will/did. :-D

But seriously....

I used to love Razor Ramon, couldnt understand why he wasnt in the world title hunt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Blue_Dabadee

MVP circa 2006-2008 when he was a heel on Smackdown.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Chip Whitley

Loved Shelton Benjamin. Should have won more and been in the WWE longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Me_Grapes

Magnum T.A.

Had all the tools needed to be a main eventer, and was all set to rival Ric Flair and Sting as WCW's marquee guy, until a car accident ended his career. Possibly the biggest example of 'what could have been' in pro wrestling.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

Used to think Tom Zenk in WCW could have done really well.

Ruu wrote: »
    Used to think Tom Zenk in WCW could have done really well.

You mean the Z-man :pac: Yeah he was unlucky with Injury and I think If he had of stayed in WWF he might have reached a fairly high level.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,004 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Moneymaker wrote: »
    Razor Ramon(he obviously had a great run but he should have been WWE Champ)

I don't think he was ever in the picture for a WWE Title run, when he left he was top of the mid-card and about to move up to the main event, moving to WCW propelled him to the top of the card and should have gotten the strap at some stage, FFS David Arquette got a run with that belt.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭RedemptionZ

Bobby Lashley?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,832 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Monty Brown I think he could have been huge.

I'd put Ahmed Johnson in the list as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭LeeJM

Matt Cappotelli by all accounts had a bright future until he discovered that brain tumour (I think thats what it was)

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭irs

Monty Brown was great and should have had a run as World Champ around 05-06. He had a shot at the title against Jarrett who had held the belt for about nine months at that point and was completely stale and they still jobbed him before then turning to join up with Jarrett. A huge waste of potential as he had serious charisma and was far ahead of the ex WCW crocks alongside him in the main events.

I'm not sure if Test had enough to be a main eventer but every time he had a bit of momentum it was wasted. Not having a feud with Triple H in late 99 and having his year of immunity being wasted. I never got the feeling he could ever be put over someone like the Undertaker which he needed.

Raven was at a fairly decent mid-card level for his first 6-8 months in WWF, even getting a spot alongside Kane and the Big Show at WMXVII. He seemed to getting over as a face around that time and could have had some decent angles over the next couple of years, even if he was never going to be troubling the main event. But he was turned into a glorified jobber in the space of a few months and never recovered.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭Caovyn Lineah

I watched the 2000 Royal Rumble last night and I'd completely forgotten about Taz, it still irks me to this day how his career went after ECW. I was such a huge fan and it genuinely annoyed me to see him being destroyed in WWE, feuding against Lawler ffs :(.

Lance Storm is another one, if he was around today I think he could be an upper level guy but instead he got lumped with that "boring guy" gimmick. I was a big big fan of his in WCW and he was probably the guy I was most excited for during the Invasion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭johnruns

The Von Erichs so close but just one tragedy after another:(

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Palo Alto

Trent Acid, was sad when he overdosed.

Nick Mondo too, he had the charisma to be a Jeff Hardy type but took too many ridiculous bumps in CZW.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Blue_Dabadee

Curt Hawkins, I thought he was incredible when he was with Tyler Reks on NXT.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,491 ✭✭✭thebostoncrab

Brent Albright is one that always stands out to me. He never would have been an Austin or Rock, but he has the look and skills needed to become a major player

Curt Hennig
    Rick Rude

Never got the big one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Cianan2

I'd go with Jody Fleisch, he was something spectacular to watch and I never understood why WWE never signed him. Years later I found out (probably through our very own Rovert!) that he had an awful time with injuries

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭Moist Bread

Blake Norton :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,455 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Bobby Lashley
    Mr. Kennedy
    John Morrison
    Muhammad Hassan

In my opinion, the first three guys were destined to be main eventers, but one thing or another got in their way. Real shame about Morrison, he was mega-over around the time he feuded with King Sheamus and again with the Miz.

Hassan certainly would've made it as a top heel had he been around in 2003-04. Unfortunate timing was his downfall.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Cheese Wagstaff

martyos121 wrote: »
    Mr. Kennedy

In my opinion, the first three guys were destined to be main eventers.

Randy Orton got in the way here, a real shame. His gimmick was amazing. If it hadn't been for injury causing him to give up the MITB, he might have been non-expendable. We'll never know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,882 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Sheldon Benjamin should have done better then he did, i'll always remember a match he had on raw against HBK, it was brilliant, and HBK's superkick as Benjamin jumped off the top rope finished it perfectly

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,487 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Brent Albright is one that always stands out to me. He never would have been an Austin or Rock, but he has the look and skills needed to become a major player

Wow, there's a name I had written out of my memory...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

Where to start!

Chris Harris. Don't know if he would have ever main evented Wrestlemania but I definitely feel he had a lot of potential.

Nathan Jones would have been a monster if he stuck around and actually learned to wrestle.

Mike Awesome was the biggest misuse of talent I've ever seen in WWE. He was the ideal fit for WWE; a big guy who was really good in the ring. With a good manager (even Heyman himself), matches with the Undertaker, Kane, Brock, Batista would have been classics.

Kenny Dykstra, Renee Dupree are probably two that many feel should be on this list. Personally never saw much in either guy apart from the body.

I think Cesaro is going down this road. I really want him to make it but after seeing Vince's podcast with Austin, I feel he never will which is a shame.

Advertisement