Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Commercial Rent - Invoiced or not?

Options
  • 31-03-2015 7:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

On a long term lease (e.g. 35 years) between a lessor and lessee where the lessor is an individual and the lessee is a limited company does the lessor issue a monthly or quarterly VAT invoice to the limited company for rent assuming the lessor is registered for VAT?

Apologies if this is a silly question. I assumed rent would be invoiced but a friend who owns a restaurant on a 35 year lease insists her limited company doesn't receive invoices from her landlord for rent. I asked her how her accountants account for rent in the annual accounts if no invoices for rent are received and she just shrugged her shoulders :eek:

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

I don't get an invoice for it either. Just having the lease with the amount quoted was deemed acceptable. Hope that is enough as I would probably find it a nightmare getting that from my landlord!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭barneystinson

BenEadir wrote: »
    Hi all,

On a long term lease (e.g. 35 years) between a lessor and lessee where the lessor is an individual and the lessee is a limited company does the lessor issue a monthly or quarterly VAT invoice to the limited company for rent assuming the lessor is registered for VAT?

Apologies if this is a silly question. I assumed rent would be invoiced but a friend who owns a restaurant on a 35 year lease insists her limited company doesn't receive invoices from her landlord for rent. I asked her how her accountants account for rent in the annual accounts if no invoices for rent are received and she just shrugged her shoulders :eek:

Cheers.

Are they paying VAT on the periodic rent?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

Are they paying VAT on the periodic rent?

No, they're not paying VAT as the lessor isn't registered for VAT. The lessor rents out this one building and total annual rent is €30,000 per annum which IIRC is under the VAT registration threshold.

Perhaps the rule is if the rent is changed on a VAT basis an invoice must be issued to the lessee by the lessor but if it's not charged with VAT no invoice is necessary?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 997 ✭✭✭pedronomix

If there is vat then there must be an invoice for the rent being paid. Terms of the lease will state whether this is weekly/monthly/yearly etc!!

pedronomix wrote: »
    If there is vat then there must be an invoice for the rent being paid. Terms of the lease will state whether this is weekly/monthly/yearly etc!!

In the case of the lease I'm referring to there is no VAT and the lease simply states that the rent must be paid to the lessor quarterly in advance. There is no comment in relation to invoicing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 997 ✭✭✭pedronomix

The lessee is entitled to a receipt for each payment, this will normally suffice for accounting purposes and wise to have in any event!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭delahuntv

Your lease is a legal document and is valid as a payment record for tax purposes. - I've had leases in some of the larger shopping centres and only ever got an end of year statement.

If vat applied, then its not unusual for a annual vat invoice to be sent in advance with the dates marked.

If any doubt, just ask for a statement and this combined with the lease agreement will be good for annual accounts.

Thanks for the clarifications guys. Much appreciated.

Advertisement