Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Orwell League 2015

• 31-03-2015 9:42am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭

Thought of making a thread about this for a more anonymous (well, to some extent at least) discussion on the events in the league.

The first round is a 5k TT up on Pine Forest. The weather forecast looks a bit grim. With headwinds of 12m/s (43.2km/h) and persistent rain it promises to be one for the hardy and more aero people. My feeling is that times below 9min will be very hard to come by.

(And I've been put right in front of the buffalo, I'm expecting a stampede).

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

My PB is under ten minutes. If that wind keeps up, not a hope I'll beat it. Debating whether the aero bars will be worth it now, I wasn't going to bother.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭Hmmzis

seamus wrote: »
    My PB is under ten minutes. If that wind keeps up, not a hope I'll beat it. Debating whether the aero bars will be worth it now, I wasn't going to bother.

I'd say bring your aero gear, all of it. The overall weight would be less important in this case than being as aero as possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 106 ✭✭TripleMinor

I did it on sunday with aero bars in 12:10 wind was that bad. I don't think it will be quite as windy on Wednesday but look like it will be wetter.

I would bring aero gear if you have it

Use a referral link when purchasing a Tesla and get free Supercharging KMs https://www.tesla.com/en_ie/referral/stephen958732

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,100 ✭✭✭buffalo

I've never actually officially competed in a TT on this course. Let that be a lesson to everyone not to be late for sign-on for other rounds, exceptions will not be made!

Not looking forward to the headwind, I'll be as aero as can be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 690 ✭✭✭dragratchet

just roared down the segment from the tibradden end... wouldnt fancy coming the other direction today

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,765 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Some amount of sandbagging going on in here today!

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭uphillonly

Leroy42 wrote: »
    Some amount of sandbagging going on in here today!

Just finished a two week taper of no cycling in prep for the league. Work, family, falling on stairs carrying my son etc. the usual midlife training challenges.

Headwind hail outside right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭Taxuser1

can't say I didn't give this a rattle a few times last week in various wind conditions. Of course a southeasterly would have been ideal and no one would have felt it an effort but into tonight's wind, there's gonna be a few tired bodies after 11 minutes or so.

I passed the course record holder on my way back from my effort into the headwind last week and he was around the 11 minute plus mark. No idea if he was chasing a time though.

i reckon Buffalo not knowing the course officially isn't a plus for the rest of us - ignorance is bliss!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Had to steel myself to take off the legwarmers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

Had to steel myself to take off the legwarmers.

I wore mine over the shorts, hoping to channel the mighty Luca. Still got beat.

Fair play, Jep.

• Advertisement

Screen-Shot-2014-12-15-at-10.38.58.png

...was how it felt for me.

Congrats Jep, that's a savage ride from you. The only one to go under 10 minutes. Chapeau!

Utterly unpleasant. Well done to everyone who turned up and rode in that, and even more so to the poor lads standing around.

And it goes without saying that those who produced the top times are beasts.

i'm mesmerized by some of the times in that weather. well done to all.

just glad to get across the line safely. the cross wind gusts were our version of Gent Wevelgem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 106 ✭✭TripleMinor

That was horrific..Gonna feel that one for a while..Managed to squeeze some points out of it though.

I'd struggle to hit some of the top times even with a tail wind...well done

Use a referral link when purchasing a Tesla and get free Supercharging KMs https://www.tesla.com/en_ie/referral/stephen958732

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 218 ✭✭Dipsomaniac

Well done Jep. You're a machine!

My first TT. Good one to start with. Got a placing and all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,765 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

See, I was right. Bunch of sandbaggers;-)

Really tough, wind was crazy. Outside the points myself but happy with the performance. Gave it everything and you cant say much when others are just quicker.

Well played to all who took part, with a big special thanks to the marshalls for standing around it that weather.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭The tax man

Well done Jep, great time given the conditions. Very tight at the top placings. Bummed I couldn't ride tonight.

some serious miles put in over the weekend by the top dogs in Kerry and Gorey. I'm sitting in.

Exactly my thoughts. Just have to figure out how to sit in in a TTT.

Hmmzis wrote: »
    Exactly my thoughts. Just have to figure out how to sit in in a TTT.

there's no I in team

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,189 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Taxuser1 wrote: »
    there's no I in team

There is a me, in the middle, comparatively going backwards to the rest of the team :D

some serious miles put in over the weekend by the top dogs in Kerry and Gorey. I'm sitting in.

I'm shattered from it all, I'll be on your wheel.

A small preview for the two nights racing in the league this week.

The weather forecast appears to be very similar for both Wednesday night and Thursday night with a gentle 5-6m/s breeze coming in from the South-East and a very pleasant 14 degrees. From what I've read both races are going to be 40min plus a certain number of laps (decided on the night by the organizer).

For the L/SL my guess is that it might be taken by a late attacker after the groups have merged, it's going to be a massive bunch and some might decide to go early to avoid the big gallop.

The SS/S race might go in a similar fashion as the L/SL race but with a somewhat smaller chance for a late attack to succeed. With the smaller number across both groups people might be more comfortable to wait for the final gallop.

My personal target is to hold on for more than 2 laps. That would beat my last year's result in the first crit of the year.

buffalo wrote: »
    I'm shattered from it all, I'll be on your wheel.

just not in front of me, you're accident prone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 311 ✭✭luapenak

They eased us back into Corkagh with a 30min race this evening. I had forgotten what a sufferfest it was, 20 mins would have been plenty. As usual on the first night L stayed away from SL.

luapenak wrote: »
    They eased us back into Corkagh with a 30min race this evening. I had forgotten what a sufferfest it was, 20 mins would have been plenty. As usual on the first night L stayed away from SL.

Any results?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Any results?

1. Sean Murnane (L)
    2. Mark Holland (L)
    3. Paul Perry (L)
    4. Colin Caesar (L)
    5. Stephan Rowan (L)
    6. Richard Cattle (L)

1. Sean Murnane (L)
    2. Mark Holland (L)
    3. Paul Perry (L)
    4. Colin Caesar (L)
    5. Stephan Rowan (L)
    6. Richard Cattle (L)

No surprises! Has an U16 ever made scratch ☺? Sean will win the next 5 races!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

1. Sean Murnane (L)
    2. Mark Holland (L)
    3. Paul Perry (L)
    4. Colin Caesar (L)
    5. Stephan Rowan (L)
    6. Richard Cattle (L)

Is Murnane the junior that has been placing in open races?

• Advertisement

Is Murnane the junior that has been placing in open races?

Younger brother

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Younger brother

Ahh, was wondering how he could have been in a limit group!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Doc07

Think I managed 6 laps before dropping out. First time in Corkagh, nice track.
    Well done Dipsomaniac on 4th.

The club site seems to be overloaded currently, everyone trying to get the results. What was the turnout tonight?

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭uphillonly

The club site seems to be overloaded currently, everyone trying to get the results. What was the turnout tonight?

I think about 35-40 racing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Somehow completely fncked my back up over the weekend, really wanted to make last night's race. I usually miss the first races in Corkagh Park and end up dying. I can't do the next two Wednesdays either so I'm going to have to make a point of taking myself out for a hammerfest two or three times over the next couple of weeks to keep pace.

Young Murnane won't be long getting up to Semi-Scratch. Definitely one to watch, great riding from one so young.

• Advertisement

Somehow managed to get a placing but we all got one hell of a stampede form buffalo himself. Just jaw-dropping riding from him, fair play! Also, Jep, savage riding and a well deserved podium!

Somehow managed to get a placing but we all got one hell of a stampede form buffalo himself. Just jaw-dropping riding from him, fair play! Also, Jep, savage riding and a well deserved podium!
    Slowly figuring out who's who here. Solid effort by Buffalo, really brave. Was waiting for Jep's attack but when it came I had jelly legs to follow. nice rides lads!

The sprint for 4th was tight. Thought i had it but have been ruled 5th. Conor and myself touched handlebars sideways rounding the last corner and both of us were almost in the grass.then he got baulked by a retreating rider so fair dues to him for getting back up and around to get me on the line!

Nice to see you getting up - persevering despite the floggings you got last year are paying dividends.

It was a stupid way to get a win tbh, wouldn't recommend it to anyone.
    Slowly figuring out who's who here. Solid effort by Buffalo, really brave.

theres-fine-line-alligator-bird-demotivational-posters-1350350347.jpg

and now I know who Hmmzis is. Great ride lad !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 218 ✭✭Dipsomaniac

Thought of making a thread about this for a more anonymous (well, to some extent at least) discussion on the events in the league.

Usernames and faces are coming together fairly quickly :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,189 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

MOD VOICE: While it doesn't need to be said, this site is anonymous, so please avoid using real names or putting up real names. If you identify yourself though, well, then it's your problem but others may have not. If you think a post IDs you and would like it removed, drop me a PM to have a look.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭The tax man

Savage ride from buffalo last night.

Thought in the closing laps the chasing bunch was going catch you but I think they got as close as 8 seconds and then the gap just went out again. You made it look easy but I'm sure you were in your own world of pain for most of it. Well done.

It's not your legs that hurt after those races, it's your lungs. Like someone poured petrol down there and then tossed a match.

Easy to guess who I am BTW. I look exactly like my avatar.

So, we went the "wrong" way round Corkagh Park last night. Made it an interesting race. Never really nailed that fast right hander near the gate.

Had the same issue with that bend, just couln't quite get the line right. The next one right after the drop is an absolute joy to fly through though. The other corners were a good bit neutralised due to the headwind on the bottom part of the track.
    Also, have said it before I think, but the longer races are awesome, just so much more room for attacks, tactics, breaks and cat n' mouse games. Amazing fun!

it's definitely a no break corner as is the bottom of the hill one. i thought it a brilliantly hard race with a headwind all the way back up and over. no place to hide.

i was getting dropped after 5 minutes - one of my worst performances in an orwell skinsuit :-) plenty of excuses on hand though

you were both going well lads. Jep, as an out of form outsider looking in I thought you made it hard for yourself!

That was the idea.

very impressive closing the gap across to the front 5.

The reverse route reinvigorates the crit format I reckon. At this point those of us in the league for a year or two know Corkagh inside out - go hard through that corner, attack on this bend, eke out an extra second on the top straight, etc. I really don't like going the wrong way around, but it makes for a more refreshing and enjoyable race when we do.

Lot of sitting around in both groups at first, but I got some practice in for doing a lead-out train in the end.

• Advertisement
Advertisement