Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What not to pack/bring?

Options
  • 31-03-2015 9:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭

I'm not going to be paying for extra bags so have basically a 33kg limit all told.

Just wondering what sort of stuff I would be better off leaving/not buying in Ireland, because it's cheaper in Canada.

Are things like electronics cheaper? I'd like to bring a pair of speakers for example, but could I be better off purchasing them when I get there?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭dirtyghettokid

i wouldn't bring any electronics, as the plugs are different and they are 110-120v over there, whereas we're 220-230v here.
    you can pickup something second hand if you really need it, or a cheap brand of whatever you're looking for in places like walmart or future shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭Intifada

Stuff with an adapter is fine though, right? E.g. a laptop. Just need a plug adapter.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,298 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

I found that the difference in voltage still screwed up a couple of things I had - my phone would take an age to charge, laptop battery pack would also overheat a lot too

• Registered Users Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭dirtyghettokid

Intifada wrote: »
    Stuff with an adapter is fine though, right? E.g. a laptop. Just need a plug adapter.

yea depends on the device. like i bring my macbook over and can charge with an adapter no probs. and charge other things via USB where i can.. phones etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭AmyPL

Just check that the voltage on things is 110-240 and you'll be grand- the vast majority of electronics are dual voltage these days. It'll be printed somewhere on the adaptor/plug. Generally things like hairdryers won't be dual voltage. We also got caught out by an external hard drive. But everything else was fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Long Gone

Don't bring a microwave - You'd need a 220 to 110 V transformer and even then the fact that the frequency is different ( 60 Hz instead of 50 Hz ) will cause the microwave to make a hell of a racket when you operate it....:eek:

Long Gone wrote: »
    Don't bring a microwave - You'd need a 220 to 110 V transformer and even then the fact that the frequency is different ( 60 Hz instead of 50 Hz ) will cause the microwave to make a hell of a racket when you operate it....:eek:
    Not like I have room for a microwave when I'm bringing the cooker and bath

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Intifada wrote: »
    Not like I have room for a microwave when I'm bringing the cooker and bath

Put the microwave in the cooker, and the cooker in the bath; spatial efficiency is key.

If you're staying in a hostel when you first get here though, your room mates might not like you so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 HandMeDown

This started off as a useful thread so I'm trying to reignite it. Leave in 2 weeks. Flying with Air Transat.

Baggage allowance is 23KG so weight is a premium. Also has anyone ever brought a bike on a plane before? How'd you go abut packaging it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Roddy23

HandMeDown wrote: »
    This started off as a useful thread so I'm trying to reignite it. Leave in 2 weeks. Flying with Air Transat.

Baggage allowance is 23KG so weight is a premium. Also has anyone ever brought a bike on a plane before? How'd you go abut packaging it?

I brought a bike over. Paid for additional luggage and bought a soft bike bag. Wrapped the bike up real good and flew it over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭CBCB2

HandMeDown wrote: »

My OH travels with bikes all the time. They count it as another bag, but not sports equip so it's the same price as a normal bag.

Go to a bike shop & get a box of a new bike & pack it that way. He bubble wraps the frame, etc & puts it in the box. The box is allowed to be 23kg too so he usually gets away with helmet, jacket, etc in the box too.

He's never had any issues, although it is hilarious when you're in the airport - it looks like a flat screen TV box - the looks people give you!

• Registered Users Posts: 14 HandMeDown

Thanks for the replies!

Anybody else got any general packing tips? I'm off to stock up on tea bags tomorrow! :P

Billy86 wrote: »
    Put the microwave in the cooker, and the cooker in the bath; spatial efficiency is key.

If you're staying in a hostel when you first get here though, your room mates might not like you so much.

I''m not so sure - The microwave would be dead handy for both cooking and heating up food in the hostel. If you brought a sandwich maker as well you could get the makings of some tasty ham and cheese toasties and voila - Hand them and a few cans of Canadian around and you'd be really popular.

Re my original post I should explain that those of us who are higher up the food chain generally get shipments when moving overseas and can therefore bring larger items like Microwaves, TVs etc. :P

Long Gone wrote: »
    Re my original post I should explain that those of us who are higher up the food chain generally get shipments when moving overseas and can therefore bring larger items like Microwaves, TVs etc. :P
    Those of us even higher up it just buy those things when we're there

Advertisement