Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Contemplating a PhD - Advice would be nice

Options
  • 31-03-2015 11:41am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Hello there.

I was just curious to get peoples advice on doing a PhD in the area of computing.

Basically, I currently have 2 MSc's myself and I have been working as a Software Engineer for the past 4 years. At this point I would like to consider doing a PhD. I have an area in mind but my concern relates to how quick the field changes.

If I am to do a PhD part time while holding my job as a Software Engineer, it would take too long most likely and the PhD would be outdated by the time it is done I suspect. I also would not be able to afford to leave my job and do it full time. So I found myself thinking about going down the route of perhaps becoming a lecturer and doing a PhD while lecturing.

Can you become a full time lecturer and complete a PhD at the same time?
    If yes, for a lecturer in a college. Take any of the ITs for example. Is it normally expensive for a member of staff to peruse a PhD in the college?

Sorry if these are silly question. I just thought it would be good to ask :)

Thanks for any information.

Comments

volarion wrote: »
    Hello there.

I was just curious to get peoples advice on doing a PhD in the area of computing.

Basically, I currently have 2 MSc's myself and I have been working as a Software Engineer for the past 4 years. At this point I would like to consider doing a PhD. I have an area in mind but my concern relates to how quick the field changes.

If I am to do a PhD part time while holding my job as a Software Engineer, it would take too long most likely and the PhD would be outdated by the time it is done I suspect. I also would not be able to afford to leave my job and do it full time. So I found myself thinking about going down the route of perhaps becoming a lecturer and doing a PhD while lecturing.

If yes, for a lecturer in a college. Take any of the ITs for example. Is it normally expensive for a member of staff to peruse a PhD in the college?

Sorry if these are silly question. I just thought it would be good to ask :)

Thanks for any information.

Hi. I'm a full-time lecturer and am also a part-time PhD student, so it is possible :) My area is accounting, and my employers are funding the PhD. But for funding to be an issue, you need to 'become a lecturer', which is difficult.
    I am no expert on your particular field, but I imagine that without a PhD your best bet would be to look at the IT's or perhaps the private institutes (Griffith, IBAT etc)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

...the PhD would be outdated by the time it is done I suspect.
    That statement makes absolutely no sense? A PhD is a body of original research – it never becomes “outdated”.
    It’s possible, but lecturer positions are hard to come by.
    I’m not sure I understand the question? There are sometimes fees associated with registering as a PhD student at an institution and I imagine these will apply whether you are a lecturer or not.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭robp

djpbarry wrote: »
    Originally Posted by volarion View Post
    I’m not sure I understand the question? There are sometimes fees associated with registering as a PhD student at an institution and I imagine these will apply whether you are a lecturer or not.
    In UCC there are concessions for staff members. I think 25-50-% but perhaps I am misreading the question and I can't see someone becoming a lecturer for the sake of getting reduced fees.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

How does one become a lecturer at a university without a PhD? I always thought one followed the other.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

That would depend on the field. If you have plenty of experience in a field and that field doesn't have a glut of PhD's, you'd certainly be in with a chance. In a field like biology were less than 1 in 20 people with PhD's get lectureships, you would need to be exceptional to get one without.

• Advertisement

How does one become a lecturer at a university without a PhD? I always thought one followed the other.

Accountancy is one of those rare fields in the social sciences where they may take a punt on you (as long as you commit immediately to starting a PhD)

Advertisement