Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Axiom Verge

Options
  • 31-03-2015 1:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭

Official Site:
    http://www.axiomverge.com/

Trailer:

Reviews:
    US Gamer: 5/5
    Giant Bomb: 5/5
    IGN: 7.9
    Gamespot: 8/10
    Eurogamer: Recommended

Axiom Verge is a 2D, Metroidvania action-adventure game created by one person (Tom Happ) for PlayStation 4, PlayStation Vita and PC. It is being released tomorrow for PS4 (today in the US), with the PC version slated for June and the Vita version sometime after.

Thought I would create a new thread to see who else is excited to play the game.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I don't get the praise for the graphics in this game, I think they look pretty terrible and nothing like the 8-bit graphics it supposedly is based on. Still if it's fun to play then I'll give it a go, should be perfect for the Vita.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Right Turn Clyde

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I don't get the praise for the graphics in this game, I think they look pretty terrible and nothing like the 8-bit graphics it supposedly is based on. Still if it's fun to play then I'll give it a go, should be perfect for the Vita.

I'm just wondering if you had a chance to play this after? I played an hour of it last night. I quite enjoyed it. It was very satisfying beating that first boss. I've never payed any of the games it was influenced by, so I'm just wondering how to compares against them?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'm just wondering if you had a chance to play this after? I played an hour of it last night. I quite enjoyed it. It was very satisfying beating that first boss. I've never payed any of the games it was influenced by, so I'm just wondering how to compares against them?

Still think it looks a bit crap but the developer absolutely nailed the metroidvania genre and it's really one of the best out there, far better than pretenders like Guacamelee and it's like.

Still think it looks a bit crap but the developer absolutely nailed the metroidvania genre and it's really one of the best out there, far better than pretenders like Guacamelee and it's like.

Thanks for your reply. The only impressive thing I seen last night was the huge head protruding from the wall. However, that image featured in all of the promotional pieces, so I'm a bit worried that there's not much else after that. But I'll keep playing it anyway.

I borrowed my nephew's 3DS recently so I'm gonna pick up some of the Castlevania games. Dawn of Sorrow looks quite good. Also, I just dug up my old Mega Drive. Is there any games of that style that you'd recommend for that system?

Thanks for your reply. The only impressive thing I seen last night was the huge head protruding from the wall. However, that image featured in all of the promotional pieces, so I'm a bit worried that there's not much else after that. But I'll keep playing it anyway.

I borrowed my nephew's 3DS recently so I'm gonna pick up some of the Castlevania games. Dawn of Sorrow looks quite good. Also, I just dug up my old Mega Drive. Is there any games of that style that you'd recommend for that system?

Dawn of Sorrow is really great. The game that came before it Aria of Sorrow might just be better. Make sure you check out Symphony of the Night, it's superb. If you have a way of playing it then you need to check out Super Metroid, it's the game that perfected the genre and is pretty much the most perfectly designed game ever. Metroid Fusion and the Metroid Prime games are also worth playing.

One the Megadrive there's not too many games like it, none really off the top of my head. Super Metroid was a late SNES game so there weren't many 16 bit imitators. By far the best would be Monster World 4 but it's japanese only, the best way to play it is on XBLA or PSN were a localised english version was discovered and released. Brilliant game and well worth playing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭Dr. Mantis Toboggan

Can this be gotten for the vita?

Can this be gotten for the vita?

Yup

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭Dr. Mantis Toboggan

Yup

Searched the store and cant find it. Strange one.

Dawn of Sorrow is really great. The game that came before it Aria of Sorrow might just be better. Make sure you check out Symphony of the Night, it's superb. If you have a way of playing it then you need to check out Super Metroid, it's the game that perfected the genre and is pretty much the most perfectly designed game ever. Metroid Fusion and the Metroid Prime games are also worth playing.

One the Megadrive there's not too many games like it, none really off the top of my head. Super Metroid was a late SNES game so there weren't many 16 bit imitators. By far the best would be Monster World 4 but it's japanese only, the best way to play it is on XBLA or PSN were a localised english version was discovered and released. Brilliant game and well worth playing.

I just picked up Symphony of the Night on the PS Store. It looks surprisingly good on a 50" HDTV. I've picked up a few PS1 games before and this looks the best of the bunch. Perhaps a modern TV handles old 2D games better than 3D? The likes of Silent Hill look terrible on it. Anyway, I can see why you think Axion looks quite ugly. The art-direction on Symphony is outstanding.

I'm definitely gonna have to pick up a SNES. I'm bloody tired of hearing Super Metroid referenced. I'd love a shot at it. I have an excellent Sony CRT in my spare room and it's begging for some love, but most of the games I'm interested in seem to be Nintendo, not Sega. I always went with the latter when I was a kid. It seems I was missing out all along.

A few tips if you are getting a retro console. Look into getting it modded so it can play games in 60 Hz. European consoles ran games at a slower framerate and with bordering. Also invest in a proper RGB cable. It gives a massive increase in visual quality compared to standard composite or RF and it costs very little.

• Advertisement

A few tips if you are getting a retro console. Look into getting it modded so it can play games in 60 Hz. European consoles ran games at a slower framerate and with bordering. Also invest in a proper RGB cable. It gives a massive increase in visual quality compared to standard composite or RF and it costs very little.

Cheers. I picked up an RGB cable for my PS2. To be honest, I thought the difference in quality would end up being exaggerated, but I was stunned by the difference. Some of the Pro Evo titles looked like different games!

Cheers. I picked up an RGB cable for my PS2. To be honest, I thought the difference in quality would end up being exaggerated, but I was stunned by the difference. Some of the Pro Evo titles looked like different games!

Same here. Picked one up for my Gamecube years and years ago to see what the fuss was. Made my games look like they came from a system a generation in the future. Was down the shops the next day getting all my consoles RGB'ed :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭sweetie

Got this cheaply from a canadian sale few weeks ago and finally started playing and it's really bloody good. Passed the first two bosses easily enough but the difficulty is just right for me. Enjoying it as much as my last metroidvania game, Ori and the blind forest.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Yeah it's a great game. I'm on the final area (after 12 hours). Gets tough in places!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Where the hell is the Vita version!?

Out for Xbox finally on Sept. 30

Advertisement