Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HELP PUDDLES EVERY WHERE!!

• 31-03-2015 1:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

I have always had big dogs- german sheperds and mixed breeds- all easily trained and never a problem with house - training. We have a smaller house now and so decided to get a little lad to keep Gus (sheperd/lab cross) company. so in arrived little Flynn (bichon/cairn terrier cross). Full of character and gets on great with Gus and his humans. Flynn is with us nearly 6wks now and we are absolutly no further on the house-training. We use the taxi method and even with 4 people on puppy watch we are still puddle -hopping . Bring him outside he pees, then 15-20 mins later a puddle,. We are diligent- after sleeping , after food , after play, after drinking and every 40 minutes or less in between. At night he sleeps in a basket and will whine to go out usually after 6-7 hours sleep. He has no problem with peeing on his cushion and twice immediattly after sleeping beside big brother on the couch he peed . Never had this before. hes the happiest little chap going so whats the story ? any ideas anyone? I know hes still young (almost 5 months), i know it can take upto 3-4 to fully house train, but every 20mins and then some and peeing on his bed. Too late to crate him now, never had one anyway. Are little fellows just slower?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

cloverleaf wrote: »
    I have always had big dogs- german sheperds and mixed breeds- all easily trained and never a problem with house - training. We have a smaller house now and so decided to get a little lad to keep Gus (sheperd/lab cross) company. so in arrived little Flynn (bichon/cairn terrier cross). Full of character and gets on great with Gus and his humans. Flynn is with us nearly 6wks now and we are absolutly no further on the house-training. We use the taxi method and even with 4 people on puppy watch we are still puddle -hopping . Bring him outside he pees, then 15-20 mins later a puddle,. We are diligent- after sleeping , after food , after play, after drinking and every 40 minutes or less in between. At night he sleeps in a basket and will whine to go out usually after 6-7 hours sleep. He has no problem with peeing on his cushion and twice immediattly after sleeping beside big brother on the couch he peed . Never had this before. hes the happiest little chap going so whats the story ? any ideas anyone? I know hes still young (almost 5 months), i know it can take upto 3-4 to fully house train, but every 20mins and then some and peeing on his bed. Too late to crate him now, never had one anyway. Are little fellows just slower?

Bichons are notoriously slower to house train, but I would consider a vet visit to rule out a UTI. Pups are taught by their mother not to pee and poo in their bed, so it's unusual but not unheard of. It's never too late to crate train, but if he's peeing in his bed it may not actually help with his housetraining. How old was he when you got him?

• Registered Users Posts: 17 cloverleaf

hi borderline meath.
    thanks for replying. Typical that I would go from the easiest to housetrain to the hardes!!!!. He was 9-10 weeks old. . The lady we got him from(friend of afriend) had the pups in the house during the day and in the shed at night-I wonder is that why he is confused? i will organise a visit to the vet in the morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 451 ✭✭doubter

hi,
    might also be an option to ask the lady where he came from if the mum was house trained. It might shed some light if the medical doesn't get anywhere...

Advertisement