Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why is Ireland so far behind the rest in gaming

Options
  • 31-03-2015 2:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38

For example in England there is a site you can sign up to, pay a monthly fee and rent a few games at once for as long as you want, in ireland it's 10euro for 3 nights which is a joke.. I have been trying to buy a gaming pc recently and was trying to do it on finance, but of course yet again, England have all the sites that sell finance Pcs and they don't deliver to Ireland...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Buy from Germany. Why are the Germans so advanced in gaming pcs?

Answer: market demand, local taxes, availability etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Because we all sit around complaining?

5aZ9wWI.png

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

I blame Gamestop and Nintendo :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Deanp057

Buy from Germany. Why are the Germans so advanced in gaming pcs?

Answer: market demand, local taxes, availability etc.

They would hardly do finance Pcs to Ireland would they? Haha

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Deanp057

Cormac... wrote: »
    I blame Gamestop and Nintendo :mad:

Gamestop are the worst, so dear just to rent a game

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

Deanp057 wrote: »
    England have all the sites that sell finance Pcs and they don't deliver to Ireland...

Parcel Motel?

They would hardly do finance Pcs to Ireland would they? Haha

http://www.hardwareversand.de/en/helppayment.jsp

by Financing

From an order value of 100 euros, we provide you favourable financing together with our partner Commerz Finanz GmbH, Schwanthalerstr. 31, 80336 München. For details look here.

^^ there you go. You'd be better off paying in cash though. You'd put a gaming pc together for under 500 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

Was going to recommend gameclick, didn't realise they were gone until just now.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Skybox

Similar site in Ireland is screenclick.com. They do DVD and Game rental

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Hercule

population

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

For example in England there is a site you can sign up to, pay a monthly fee and rent a few games at once for as long as you want, in ireland it's 10euro for 3 nights which is a joke.. I have been trying to buy a gaming pc recently and was trying to do it on finance, but of course yet again, England have all the sites that sell finance Pcs and they don't deliver to Ireland...

There is no market for a monthly rent fee on games in ireland as the UK has over 60 mil + people living in it while Ireland only has the population of the greater Manchester area of 4.5 mil or what ever it is here.

The fact its dear to rent games is due to the fact not many rent people anymore i cant remember the last time i rented a game i say it could have been 2008 or 2009 ?. I just buy the game now when it gos cheaper and i say a lot more people do that as well.

Go ask your bank for a loan if you won't to buy your pc on finance ?. I got my macbook on finance from the bank as student loan with no APR and over the 2 years it costs me notting to have it on finance. Even if you could get finance of theses crowds it will be something crazy like 40% APR on it.

There is also no market here really for finance on computers as everyone stopped doing it when the times where hard here as a lot of places lost a lot of money on computers thanks to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

What does this have to do with gaming?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,577 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    What does this have to do with gaming?

Wondering that myself, I believe in most cases we are ahead in uptake of consoles, tech and games than our British compadres....

We don't have the market though 7million versus around 70 million....

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭ríomhaire

Renting games? What decade is this? Are you using a mega drive?

• Administrators Posts: 53,796 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

v3ttel wrote: »
    Parcel Motel?

I would have serious doubts that he would be able to sign any finance agreement with a parcel motel address :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

I was only messing :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Nodferatu

Because its Ireland. Everything is backwards here.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,597 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

When did Gamestop start renting games?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,597 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

We simply don't have the population and hence the market to get the kind of volume discounts that make PCs cheaper in the UK and on the continent.
    If you find a product in the UK you like but they don't deliver to Ireland, use Parcel Motel.
    Better still, building a PC is relatively easy, learn to do it yourself and save even more money.

Nodferatu wrote: »
    Because its Ireland. Everything is backwards here.

Except we are not and consistently hit the top best best places to live on a number of metrics. Not being able to buy a PC here on finance or rent games reflects market demand - we just buy what we want outright.

• Advertisement

Havok, the physics engine that nearly every game you love has used, is an Irish company.
    Just so as we nail the whole backward Ireland thing to the wall, then set the wall on fire.

Also, Speed Freaks, excellent and superior PS karting game was developed here before being torpedoed by Sony so they could make a bigger splash with Crash Kart.

The guy behind Super Hexagon is an Irishman too.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,991 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Get a hold of your spending. You shouldn't need to finance the 600-1000 Euros it takes to buy a PC. If you do, then you can't afford one.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

Because we're a tiny island with a very small population? How can you compare Ireland with the UK, the difference in population is absolutely massive so of course they're going to have more gamers and that allows markets for such things to do well.

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Havok, the physics engine that nearly every game you love has used, is an Irish company.
    Just so as we nail the whole backward Ireland thing to the wall, then set the wall on fire.

Also, Speed Freaks, excellent and superior PS karting game was developed here before being torpedoed by Sony so they could make a bigger splash with Crash Kart.

Demonware are also Irish, they created the peer to peer matchmaking that COD uses.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Demonware are also Irish, they created the peer to peer matchmaking that COD uses.

Thats no great boast!

Thats no great boast!

They were great before activision got their claws into them :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

I blame Irish Water…

• Registered Users Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

awec wrote: »
    I would have serious doubts that he would be able to sign any finance agreement with a parcel motel address :)

Can you not have a billing address and a shipping address?

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭ríomhaire

CiDeRmAn wrote: »

Some of his free games are really good to. I love Naya's Quest and he has a depressing artsy one called Oiche Mhaith

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,796 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

v3ttel wrote: »
    Can you not have a billing address and a shipping address?

He would have to be a UK resident to enter in to a finance agreement in the UK.

Advertisement