Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why is Ireland so far behind the rest in gaming

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

ríomhaire wrote: »
    Renting games? What decade is this? Are you using a mega drive?

Whilst I don't rent games the idea of 'streaming' a game for several days appeals to me. Games like COD where you'll finish in one sitting etc. I noticed on the PS4 US PSN they do something like that, good idea imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 768 ✭✭✭SpaceSasqwatch

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Havok, the physics engine that nearly every game you love has used, is an Irish company.
    Just so as we nail the whole backward Ireland thing to the wall, then set the wall on fire.

Also, Speed Freaks, excellent and superior PS karting game was developed here before being torpedoed by Sony so they could make a bigger splash with Crash Kart.

The guy behind Super Hexagon is an Irishman too.

and a mod for the game dev forum was lead 3d programmer for watchdogs..he works for ubisoft montreal iirc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

I see in some xtra visions there doing unlimited rental on xbox and ps4 games for €15 euros a month now. Only catch is that you can have only one game at a time but you can keep it for as long as you won't it for.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

I see in some xtra visions there doing unlimited rental on xbox and ps4 games for €15 euros a month now. Only catch is that you can have only one game at a time but you can keep it for as long as you won't it for.

Sounds like a good idea in theory to be fair

• Registered Users Posts: 7,599 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

Not just games, boxsets and films are included too, you can have 2 items out at any one time but are restricted to only having one ps4/xbone game or boxset at a time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭GottaGetGatt

There is an Irish equivalent, Gamenash or something to that effect. Know a few lads who used to use them but that was about two years ago. Not too sure if their still around.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Always forgotten about is the unique tax that hits electronics in this country, afaik video games fall under its remit also.

It's simply not a market or industry that will get tax breaks or incentives. With a global market at your fingertips, there is simply no need. Yeah it would be great to have a reputible irish retailer who can sell games at competitive prices and all the other good stuff, but its not cost effective and therefore consumers will buy from abroad.

I moved fully over to Amazon about a year ago, and havn't/won't look back. Incredible reliability, customer service and most importantly pricing. I get pretty much all new releases for €45 since I put them on my pre-order once available. Change of heart? Remove it day or so before release and I don't get charged.

They also revise pricing exceptionally quickly. Alien Isolation for PS4 is now €20(well thats what I paid for it last week) while a friend the week before handed over €60 in gamestop.

Advertisement