Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samba Festival

Options
  • 31-03-2015 2:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭

Am I alone in really hating the samba festival? The lack of actual Brazilians and samba do it for me.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭mejulie805

Between the two of us, yes you are! Why would you hate a festival that's trying to bring Samba to a new crowd! Not everyone can go to Carnival! ;)
    No, the town isn't crawling with Brasilians but there would still be quite a few! And most of the bands play in exchange for accommodation for the weekend, so it's pretty much a free event. I'm sure they all play Samba, but for long sets, other pieces will come into it and are fun to both play and list to!

The festival could maybe do with a refresh, so if you're experienced, why not get involved to make it a better festival? If you just hate it, schedule a holiday for the end of June!

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭garrincha62

mejulie805 wrote: »
    Between the two of us, yes you are! Why would you hate a festival that's trying to bring Samba to a new crowd! Not everyone can go to Carnival! ;)
    No, the town isn't crawling with Brasilians but there would still be quite a few! And most of the bands play in exchange for accommodation for the weekend, so it's pretty much a free event. I'm sure they all play Samba, but for long sets, other pieces will come into it and are fun to both play and list to!

The festival could maybe do with a refresh, so if you're experienced, why not get involved to make it a better festival? If you just hate it, schedule a holiday for the end of June!

I suffered for many years listening to bad maracatu masquerading as samba at United Park on bitterly cold November nights.

I reckon samba is best experienced at its source and I know it is expensive to go to carnaval but some things are best experienced first hand.

The samba festival bears no resemblance visually or musically to carnaval.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭mejulie805

I think instead of finding other opinions on the festival you're just looking to fight with someone over it!

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭garrincha62

mejulie805 wrote: »
    I think instead of finding other opinions on the festival you're just looking to fight with someone over it!

I genuinely dislike the festival but genuinely like Brazilian music. It's not a representation of samba at all and it makes me cringe.

If others like it fair enough, doesn't bother me. Good luck to them! Just don't pretend its samba!!

Advertisement