Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rear derailleur adjustment tip needed

• 31-03-2015 3:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭

I bought my bike into a new place for a full service a few months and what a mistake that was. It's never really been the same since.

One problem is that the rear derailleur is never quite right; I've adjusted the barrel back and forth and there are always two cogs which required _two_ changes of gear, not one, before the chain slips. Adjusting the barrel seems to merely move the position of this issue up or down the cogs.

The service involved changing the rear cogset - I'm not sure did this cause the issue. The number of cogwheels match the number of gears, could there be another issue?

Just wanted to ask before I bring the bike somewhere else for a service.

P.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 198 ✭✭torydiver

Loads on YouTube about setting up / indexing gears......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 396 ✭✭joxerjohn

It is best to change the cassette and the chain at the same time. Do you know if chain was changed as well as the cassette ?

Problems with shifting as you describe can arise if both are not changed together.

I would bring the bike back to the shop and get let them sort it out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭Type 17

Something to watch out for is that the (eg 8) clicks of the shifter may not be aligned with the (eg 8) sprockets of your cassette - most shifters have a "spare" click beyond first (biggest sprocket), and if the mechanic has goofed up, he might have set it up this way.
    If the clicks/sprockets are misaligned like this, you will have the exact issue that you describe, with some (but not all) sprockets' shifts not being smooth.
    Check for it by shifting out to the smallest sprocket, and then seeing if the shifter will click one more time (only making the cable slack).
    If it's wrong, you can re-tension the cable as per one of the good set-up videos on YouTube.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,774 ✭✭✭cython

joxerjohn wrote: »
    It is best to change the cassette and the chain at the same time. Do you know if chain was changed as well as the cassette ?

Problems with shifting as you describe can arise if both are not changed together.

I would bring the bike back to the shop and get let them sort it out.

I would say it's required to change the chain if the cassette has been changed, but not necessarily required to change the cassette for the chain being changed - in the latter scenario it depends on how far gone the chain, and consequently the cassette, might have been. But in the OP's case since they know the block was changed, the chain definitely should have been too.

Advertisement