Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Microsoft announce Surface 3 (non-pro edition) starting at $499

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭wilser

Not sure how $499 converts to €609 which is the price being quoted on this side of the Atlantic :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Crocked

wilser wrote: »
    Not sure how $499 converts to €609 which is the price being quoted on this side of the Atlantic :(

The ****e exchange rate at the moment plus VAT pretty much.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,444 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Here's another link with full specs: http://www.microsoft.com/surface/en-us/products/surface-3. 2 or 4 GB of RAM is nice.
    I would've thought they'd do the usual $1 = €1 conversion and charge us €499?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

What the ...? I'm out.

It would've been worth a punt for €499. Nothing doing for €600+

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

They really need to include the keyboard. Even if it's the lesser touch keyboard to seal the deal.

While some people are saying duck that to 600 euro pricing I can imagine it's going to be a far nicer laptop/tablet than 600 quid can get ya vs rivals. Free of bloatware with properly optimized hardware for windows.

It has also comparable storage option vs ipad.
    This has a microsd card slot though so you can expand your storage quickly. I'd still call it more of a laptop than a tablet.

I had to use my surface pro 3 for a few weeks for work instead of a laptop and it never skipped a beat as a workhorse and can easily use it as a tablet at home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 875 ✭✭✭theothernt

What the ...? I'm out.

It would've been worth a punt for €499. Nothing doing for €600+

Agreed.

€600 = $500 in Euro + VAT + small markup

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

theothernt wrote: »
    Agreed.

€600 = $500 in Euro + VAT + small markup
    That would be about €40-€50 markup? Quite a significant markup when you're aiming at the mid-tier pricing - it's the price of buying the pen separately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I thought the Pro 64GB was around 700ish?

I'd hold out for the pro version if it was possible...

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I thought the Pro 64GB was around 700ish?

I'd hold out for the pro version if it was possible...

The pro 128GB is €919 at the moment. The Pro 64GB is €738. So the 128GB non pro is only €200 cheaper than the pro, and the 64GB is about 100 cheaper. I think the surface 3 is a great product but not at that price. It really needs to drop about €100 euro.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

Surprised they went for an Atom, and not a Core M for this. I swore I'd never go back to an Atom after the Netbook days, but it does seem they've improved over the years.

Seems like a decent competitor to the iPad in fairness - full OS, runs full x86 programs, USB support, multi-monitor support, etc. Windows 8 isn't that bad at all, but Windows 10 is only down the line too.

I'd still get a Surface Pro over one if these - bigger screen, better processor, etc for only €100 more.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 422 ✭✭wrt40

Dman001 wrote: »
    I'd still get a Surface Pro over one if these - bigger screen, better processor, etc for only €100 more.

Don't know about that. Pro is €130 more compared to the i3 which isn't exactly a workhorse itself. Pro line is overkill for most home use. Reviews aren't out yet, but Surface 3 should handle everything bar heavy disk processing such as video encoding. Also the pro screen although bigger, is still not big enough. If you need a big screen you're likely going to need 15.6"+, so neither is good enough if screen size is an issue. Based on that I would go with the smaller form factor as it's better as a tablet and general everyday use. It's also fanless. You then have a few options when you need to use it with a bigger screen: cast to a TV, plug directly into a TV\monitor, or use a docking station.

• Administrators Posts: 54,059 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

The $499 is without US sales tax.

In the US taxes generally aren't included on listed prices as they can vary depending on where you are.

Advertisement