Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landlord insurance

Options
  • 31-03-2015 4:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭

Hi all, Any landlords have a recommendation for an insurance company please?
    Have one quote for €250 (contents only as is apartment) and one for €90 , big difference for similar policies, looking for any personal recommendations, thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

Please keep the recommendations to private message.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

As a LL, don't you need a bit more than just contents cover?

What happens if your tenant is injured because of some defect in your property, or there is a fire etc and you have to provide them with alternative accommoation while the property is uninhabitable?

I would be very surprised if you can get adequate cover for the premium amounts you are mentioning.

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭sassyj

I meant didn't need building insurance as it's an apartment, insurance companies won't give this for apartment. Some sites include PLI with contents,

As a LL, don't you need a bit more than just contents cover?

What happens if your tenant is injured because of some defect in your property, or there is a fire etc and you have to provide them with alternative accommoation while the property is uninhabitable?

I would be very surprised if you can get adequate cover for the premium amounts you are mentioning.

thanks for reply, I'm aware I need to cover for this, just looking for some personal recommendations as there are several companies offering this, and premiums vary,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

If you're a landlord, then any LL insurance should cover:

Loss of rent.
    Buildings cover. (You should have this in any case if you've got a mortgage on the property)
    Public liability. (At least E500k -1 million)
    Alternative tenant accommodation in case of fire/flood/unforseen circumstances like a boiler breaking down.

If the property's furnished then you should take out insurance for the contents. Make sure it covers accidental damage.

I think the premiums you've been quoted are a bit on the low side, and I would be checking them over VERY carefully to ensure they're adequate for your needs.

• Advertisement

If you're a landlord, then any LL insurance should cover:

Loss of rent.
    Buildings cover. (You should have this in any case if you've got a mortgage on the property)
    Public liability. (At least E500k -1 million)
    Alternative tenant accommodation in case of fire/flood/unforseen circumstances like a boiler breaking down.

If the property's furnished then you should take out insurance for the contents. Make sure it covers accidental damage.

I think the premiums you've been quoted are a bit on the low side, and I would be checking them over VERY carefully to ensure they're adequate for your needs.

thanks for info, do you have company you'd recommend

the lower premium mentioned includes landlord liability of €3.7m, covers loss of rent, and also also contents.
    Reputable insurer, would like to know who any other landlords are with, so PM if you have a recommendation, thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

....have to provide them with alternative accommoation while the property is uninhabitable?....

Where are you getting that from?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

and you have to provide them with alternative accommoation while the property is uninhabitable

Not so sure about that one so I'd appreciate a link to some legal requirement that LL's have to do this.

Advertisement