Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Accommodation for Trinity College.

Options
  • 31-03-2015 5:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Just wanted to find out can first years get campus accommodation in trinity and which one is the best? All the others seem to be going to the Halls but seems a bit far out for me as my course hours are so irregular. Thanks :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Anita Blow

First years cannot get on-campus accommodation I'm afraid!

• Registered Users Posts: 22 lmcgtb

Also, you really don't want to miss the experience of living in halls! It's not too bad of a trek, there's a bus every 20 minutes that basically brings you from the door of halls to the door of college, and the Luas is only a 10 minute walk away. I'm so incredibly sad that we're all moving out in less than two months, this year has seriously been the most amazing experience, and I'd wholeheartedly recommend it to anyone!

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Lune

lmcgtb wrote: »
    Also, you really don't want to miss the experience of living in halls! It's not too bad of a trek, there's a bus every 20 minutes that basically brings you from the door of halls to the door of college, and the Luas is only a 10 minute walk away. I'm so incredibly sad that we're all moving out in less than two months, this year has seriously been the most amazing experience, and I'd wholeheartedly recommend it to anyone!

If I don't get into Halls this coming year I have no idea what I'll do, so any insights/recommendations on securing a place there? Thanks v much

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Dats me

Boost: Any info/advice on what to do if one doesn't get into halls would be really appreciated!
    Even any places I could be putting (small)deposits on now

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭YoursSincerely

Dats me wrote: »
    Boost: Any info/advice on what to do if one doesn't get into halls would be really appreciated!
    Even any places I could be putting (small)deposits on now

Some advice from someone who didn't get halls!

I didn't get halls and was really stuck as I had no family in the city. I was lucky that someone started a Facebook group for people who didn't get halls and a girl messaged me and we got talking and ended up finding a flat to rent together. It worked out really well and we are still close friends.
    Relistically there is no point in waiting around for second round halls offers, as they are usually only given to like 50 extra people so chances are you won't be one of them. I made the mistake of waiting for this and lost a lot of time I could have been searching for a house.
    My advice is, if it happens, started a Facebook group and try and find some people to rent a house together. Talk to anyone you know on areas that one would recommend renting in, getting accommodation right in the city centre next to college is very difficult so expect a 20min or so bus journey, areas like portobello, rathmines, harolds cross, ballsbridge( expensive and hard to find though), rathgar, drumcondra, and phibsboro are all popular student choices.

If you're not keen on finding a house to rent or worried about it, then go on places like tcd noticeboard, daft.ie and just try and fill a room in a house. Lots of places might have a spare room, so trying to get into one of those is an easy enough and nice option. You can waste a lot of time looking for a house with people, so if you see a room in a house advertised then take it!

There are student residences available like nci and griffith college, but by the time you find out about halls they are usually full.

If you are getting really really stuck then I would advise you to take digs, and then keep bombarding halls with emails. Places do open up in halls as people drop out and you will most likely get a place after christmas( maybe sooner) if you keep at them, so digs are a good temporary option.

If you don't get halls it's not the end of the world, just get involved in some good societies and you'll make friends with people who live there and still get to have all the craic! get through your Leaving cert first and then starting thiking about all this :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 schmidty

Anyone know when the offers for on-campus accommodation will be out?

schmidty wrote: »
    Anyone know when the offers for on-campus accommodation will be out?
    Late May/early June most likely

Advertisement