Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog Fostering

• 31-03-2015 5:46pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi All

I really need help ASAP. Long story short, my so called sister is meant to be looking after one of the family dogs and keeping it. My parents have moved and have kept two of the dogs, the other dog was meant to be staying with her as I have also moved (she had moved into the family home). Now despite the fact shes got the house and everyone has moved to facilitate her, she has decided she doesn't want to keep the dog and I found out on FACEBOOK today that MY dog is being rehomed. :mad: :(:(
    I do not want this assh*le finding a home for my dog, ideally I will move again in 6 months time, I'm hoping I will be in a better position financially so that I can get a house where I can bring the dog. Are there any options out there for fostering for situations like this? I'm absolutely heartbroken here this evening. I'd hate to see her rehomed and want to do everything I can to make sure she can come back to me. She's nearly 10 and doesn't have long left anyway, I would honestly rather have her put to sleep than see her rehomed :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Chijj

Hi All

I really need help ASAP. Long story short, my so called sister is meant to be looking after one of the family dogs and keeping it. My parents have moved and have kept two of the dogs, the other dog was meant to be staying with her as I have also moved (she had moved into the family home). Now despite the fact shes got the house and everyone has moved to facilitate her, she has decided she doesn't want to keep the dog and I found out on FACEBOOK today that MY dog is being rehomed. :mad: :(:(
    I do not want this assh*le finding a home for my dog, ideally I will move again in 6 months time, I'm hoping I will be in a better position financially so that I can get a house where I can bring the dog. Are there any options out there for fostering for situations like this? I'm absolutely heartbroken here this evening. I'd hate to see her rehomed and want to do everything I can to make sure she can come back to me. She's nearly 10 and doesn't have long left anyway, I would honestly rather have her put to sleep than see her rehomed :(

Check with friends, your line about putting the dog down is quite chilling though

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Chijj wrote: »
    Check with friends, your line about putting the dog down is quite chilling though

I don't want to put her through the trauma of being rehomed. She is the most affectionate, loving, gentle creature. I don't want to see her upset and heartbroken trying to settle into a new home. I would rather save her that pain. :(:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

Being rehomed isn't necessarily going to be traumatic for her, possibly it would be more traumatic for you? Sounds like she's already gone from living with your parents and you and your sister and 2 other dogs to living with just your sister and no other dogs? So she's already had upheaval, if your parents can't take her for a few months until you are in a better position to take her then explore some other avenues, friends, other family, paying someone to home board her, kennels etc, or at the very least do stringent homechecks on any potential new homes.

In the meantime, speak to your sister, she may already have a home for her and presumably she's not doing homechecks so anyone could take her?!

Having her killed because you can't bear the thought of her being rehomed is a very selfish thing to do (in my opinion)

Tranceypoo wrote: »
    Being rehomed isn't necessarily going to be traumatic for her, possibly it would be more traumatic for you? Sounds like she's already gone from living with your parents and you and your sister and 2 other dogs to living with just your sister and no other dogs? So she's already had upheaval, if your parents can't take her for a few months until you are in a better position to take her then explore some other avenues, friends, other family, paying someone to home board her, kennels etc, or at the very least do stringent homechecks on any potential new homes.

In the meantime, speak to your sister, she may already have a home for her and presumably she's not doing homechecks so anyone could take her?!

Having her killed because you can't bear the thought of her being rehomed is a very selfish thing to do (in my opinion)

My sister has one other dog (who she doesn't even like) - that my dog knows and lived with for 9 months previously when she lived there with us.
    Don't see how it is being selfish? Care to explain why you think that? Not really a helpful comment and insulting me is really not what I need to be reading at the moment. I'm upset enough as it is without being told I'm being selfish! Would have thought people in here would understand how I'm feeling right now....

I'm not going to go into too much detail as I'm too well known on boards for that, but the situation is very complicated. My sister is not the kind of person I am comfortable leaving the dog with in the first place but there wasn't really any other option. I thought she would at least let the dog stay there and put the food out for her, I would have bought the food and brought her to the park a few times a week.
    The dog is already upset as she is not being treated in a way she is used to but she is, at least, in her own home with people she knows. I am not at all comfortable with rehoming her, she is spoilt rotten and I want her to continue to be spoilt...I know I could find a great home for her but it rankles with me that she may be very unhappy and will never settle. What has already happened has got to be incredibly upsetting and unsettling for her without now being thrown in with complete strangers. I feel horrible that this situation even exists but it does, the deal was she would keep the dog, not pimp it out on facebook. I find rehoming very cruel - it can be very traumatic for an animal - thats my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭fiounnalbe

Theres a few options, move somewhere now where you can take the dog with you? Or if its the family home your sister is in could you not move in there too and look after the dog? Your parents have taken 2 dogs, surely a 3rd wouldn't be that inconvenient for awhile?

You find rehoming cruel yet you don't mind the option of getting someone to foster her and then take her back....surely thats more traumatic for her all that moving about??

• Advertisement

fiounnalbe wrote: »
    Theres a few options, move somewhere now where you can take the dog with you? Or if its the family home your sister is in could you not move in there too and look after the dog? Your parents have taken 2 dogs, surely a 3rd wouldn't be that inconvenient for awhile?

You find rehoming cruel yet you don't mind the option of getting someone to foster her and then take her back....surely thats more traumatic for her all that moving about??

Living situation is complicated - finding a house I can afford that allows pets, sadly not easy, trust me I've tried. Me and sis living together not an option. Fostering has just popped into my head as a possible option when this popped up today - well someone suggested it, I'm at a total loss - seems less cruel in my current state than rehoming completely. All of this was never even on the cards, I'm in total shock at the moment.

Parents have moved to a very small house, they would take her if they could but they can't she's very barky and neighbours would complain.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Thread closed at OP's request

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement