Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread VI: End of the MOC [Revenge of the STH]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

We've mixed the good with the bad today but overall a big improvement. 5 tries away from home considering the way we've been playing this season is both surprising and very welcome

• Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

One of the best attacking performances I can remember from Leinster this season. Still a bit of huffing and puffing at times, but it was an improved performance. Defence is shocking though.

It's bloody ridiculous that the game wasn't on normal TV. How do they hope to attract fans to the league if you can't see the games

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

That was pretty good, in attack at least. Reid really impressed me, takes smart lines and he's got a serious turn of pace. Biggest thing is that none of the Irish players got injured.

Defence is still shocking, and the lineout was awful, wtf has happened to Strauss

Happy for Madigan as he's taken a lot of stick this season and he deserved MOTM

Oh and obviously #justiceforlukemcgrath

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Synode wrote: »
    It's bloody ridiculous that the game wasn't on normal TV. How do they hope to attract fans to the league if you can't see the games

There are 6 games on at the moment and ours simply wasn't that important.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Tox56 wrote: »
    That was pretty good, in attack at least. Reid really impressed me, takes smart lines and he's got a serious turn of pace. Biggest thing is that none of the Irish players got injured.

Defence is still shocking, and the lineout was awful, wtf has happened to Strauss

Happy for Madigan as he's taken a lot of stick this season and he deserved MOTM

Oh and obviously #justiceforlukemcgrath

Losing 2 locks in the opening 10 minutes was always going to hurt our set pice in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,105 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Think this game has annoyed me even more than usual.

Looks like MOC is staying so expect normal service to resume next season.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Has to be said, Madigan was very good at 10 today, aside from a few errors, ran the backline well, Reid, DK and collie thrived off him

It was on normal tv. Bbc alba is normal tv. We just don't live in the country where it is normal TV. That's the downside of being the away team in a nothing fixture.

Watched the Ulster game on sky and they're doing a great job of advertising the league

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭case885

Synode wrote:

BBC alba, better than nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

What's 'normal TV'?

I watched it on BBC Alba, without subscription & in English.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

I've seen enough from this quasi dead rubber, anyway.

Madigan is a 10*.

Reid is our best 12.

*Once he learns that the most comfortable place for a receiver to take the ball is not the zone of space directly above their head**

**Assuming these weren't failed skip passes, in which case <rolls up newspaper> BAD MADIGAN! NO! NO!

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

If we could win lineouts on out own throw we would have won that game by 3 scores. That issue still hasn't been resolved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

In fairness, we only had one second row.

Hagz wrote: »
    In fairness, we only had one second row.

Yeah, but that was Devin Toner. And we had an international front row and back row. No excuses for not being able to win our own lineouts

Podge_irl wrote: »
    There are 6 games on at the moment and ours simply wasn't that important.
    .ak wrote: »
    It was on normal tv. Bbc alba is normal tv. We just don't live in the country where it is normal TV. That's the downside of being the away team in a nothing fixture.

Watched the Ulster game on sky and they're doing a great job of advertising the league
    Yamanoto wrote: »
    What's 'normal TV'?

I watched it on BBC Alba, without subscription & in English.

Go way with your satellite dishes and nothing games. It's MOC's fault and you know it :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭total former

Yeah, but that was Devin Toner. And we had an international front row and back row. No excuses for not being able to win our own lineouts

The problem is Strauss. His throwing is gone to shyte since his injuries, which is a shame because he was super-reliable prior to that.

The problem is Strauss. His throwing is gone to shyte since his injuries, which is a shame because he was super-reliable prior to that.

Yeah it does seem to be. It's very frustrating and it'd killing us at key moments.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭TheGoldenAges

Just out of an exam so didn't see the match, though from scrolling through the posts I can see:

Madigan had a good game at 10 for the first time in months

Reid and McGrath were equally impressive

Lineout and defence was bad

That pretty much it?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Great result but just looking at Facebook Madigan is the messiah again based on one performance, Tony Ward will love the Facebook fans now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Not that anyone cares too much but Maks van Dyk starting for the Cheetahs today.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,105 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Madigan had a good game at 10 for the first time in months

Slight alteration.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Didn't get to see the game today. Delighted for Madigan and for Luke McGrath and for Reid. But it sounds a bit familiar scrolling down the posts here - woeful defence, poor lineouts interspersed with patches of brilliance. Very frustrating to watch.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Pro12 highlights on TG4 now. Around 30mins long.

vienne86 wrote: »
    Didn't get to see the game today. Delighted for Madigan and for Luke McGrath and for Reid. But it sounds a bit familiar scrolling down the posts here - woeful defence, poor lineouts interspersed with patches of brilliance. Very frustrating to watch.

Our attacking game was light years ahead of where it has been the last few weeks. There were still issues but it was a massive improvement. If anything though our defence was worse. We lost 2 locks in the first 10 minutes but I'm not sure it explains the set piece issues.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Nim wrote: »
    Pro12 highlights on TG4 now. Around 30mins long.

Damn, I don't think they're showing the Leinster match.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

molloyjh wrote: »
    Our attacking game was light years ahead of where it has been the last few weeks. There were still issues but it was a massive improvement. If anything though our defence was worse. We lost 2 locks in the first 10 minutes but I'm not sure it explains the set piece issues.

The defence is very worrying, and I thought that was one of the things MOC was going to concentrate on. We just seem to have forgotten how to tackle.

Great to hear the attacking game was so good though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭total former

I've been saying this all season and I don't expect people to start agreeing with me now, but there's a difference between defence and tackling.

For their first try, McGrath was exactly where he needed to be and should have cut yer man in half. It was just a bad error from a player who is normally a great tackler.

I've been saying this all season and I don't expect people to start agreeing with me now, but there's a difference between defence and tackling.

For their first try, McGrath was exactly where he needed to be and should have cut yer man in half. It was just a bad error from a player who is normally a great tackler.

There's a difference between there being problems with the defensive system and the tackling sure. But tackling is still a fairly fundamental part of defence. And our first up tackling has been a problem for a few weeks now. So it's still perfectly valid to say we have issues with our defence in general at this stage. As that example proved, getting your positioning right can be totally irrelevant if you've got the stopping power of a gentle breeze. I don't think anyone disagrees with what you're saying though???

• Advertisement

Personally, for me anyway, the difference between an effective tackle and non effective one is confidence. Especially for me as I'm a small bloke I won't stop anyone by just hoping for the best. You can have all the technique in the world but if you don't have that bit of grit or confidence going into it you just go backwards.

I think McGrath made a few missed tackles yesterday, I think confidence is certainly lacking with certain players.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement