Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread VI: End of the MOC [Revenge of the STH]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

.ak wrote: »
    He's only in his first year of academy. Had a really good u20s campaign in his last year but there is too many ahead of him in blue. He'll get game time eventually as he's built for modern rugby, just needs to be patient. He's been playing well at AIL

Looks like he's gonna play 7s over the summer too.

He just finished his 2nd year in the academy and will be in his 3rd year of the academy this season. Traditionally academy year 3 is when guys start to get a bit of senior gametime if they're going to stick about.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

He just finished his 2nd year in the academy and will be in his 3rd year of the academy this season. Traditionally academy year 3 is when guys start to get a bit of senior gametime if they're going to stick about.

Sorry Yeh you're right

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭TommyOM

Adam Byrne struggled with a recurring ankle problem. He's only getting up to top speed recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

TommyOM wrote: »
    Adam Byrne struggled with a recurring ankle problem. He's only getting up to top speed recently.

Thanks for reminding us of Adam Byrne - I knew he had been injured, but it would be great if he were fully fit for the start of the season - lots of opportunities during the WC for people like him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭aimee1

rds naming rights to be announced this week. report in indo today

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

aimee1 wrote: »

Pashun Stadium

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭total former

aimee1 wrote: »

The 3fe Arena

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

RBS RDS?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭ssaye2

Early indication Samsung had it. Already sponsored team

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

ssaye2 wrote: »
    Early indication Samsung had it. Already sponsored team

And the colour would be right!

And they sponsor showjumping to AFAIK.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

He got an academy contract at a pretty young age straight after Geordan Murphy dropped in for dinner with the folks.

dregin wrote: »
    He got an academy contract at a pretty young age straight after Geordan Murphy dropped in for dinner with the folks.

He's highly rated by management alright. Got capped by the senior team before he was in the academy by Schmidt, a friend of mine who was coaching the u18 Leinster team and said Cheika was very interested in him even at an early stage. Big unit, plenty of skill, has a mean step and a load of pace and can play 13, 11/14 and 15. Unfortunately seems to have a touch of the Fitzgerald and gets injured leading up to big opportunities (int. windows etc). He was playing u20s last season wasn't he? I'd say he'll be given another year on his academy contract, he's got time on his side.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

The first time I saw him play for Leinster A stands out. He was swamped by the opposing team, booted the ball which rolled along the line, ran alongside it, caught it and got a try out of nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

Well I'm just going to say it, anytime I watched him play for the u20s he was fairly poor. He would make glaring errors in defence and fail to get involved in off his wing. His pace was evident whenever he got the ball, but he looked like a newcomer to the sport. He's still young and has the speed + frame, but I wouldn't be putting my hopes on him.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Hagz wrote: »
    Well I'm just going to say it, anytime I watched him play for the u20s he was fairly poor. He would make glaring errors in defence and fail to get involved in off his wing. His pace was evident whenever he got the ball, but he looked like a newcomer to the sport. He's still young and has the speed + frame, but I wouldn't be putting my hopes on him.

Yeah I'd agree with that. He was pretty underwhelming when I saw him. He's got time but not every young player with potential kicks on.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

He's only 20. He doesnt have a huge amount of real serious rugby in him. I think there was an interview where he said that himself. He has the size, ability and dont see any real reason to be knocking him as such like you are. A season or two playing regularly and no injuries and i could most certainly see him being back up playing pro12.
    Because he had been called up to pro12 from nowhere and then was back playing 20s etc people had much higher expectations of him that in many ways would be impossible to meet. Would certainly give him plenty of time as the potential is certainly there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

So I'm knocking the lad for saying he looked poor whenever I watched him play for the u20s, and for saying that I wouldn't be putting high expectations on him?

So you're telling me that he has the size and ability, and that he's only 20?
    You could put that in other terms couldn't you? You could say he has the frame and speed, and that he's still young.
    And that's exactly what I said in the post you quoted..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Noopti

Not entirely surprised to see Deans rule himself out, and I don't think it would have been a good fit anyway.

I do think that McKenzie has got to be favourite. He did a great job at the Reds, and was doing good things for the Wallabies until all that off the field controversy. Mainly due to a few bad eggs in the squad.

He is friends with Kiss, and I think a good word will be put in for him. Really wouldn't be surprised to see him come in.

I would be pretty happy to see him get the gig.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭padser

dont see any real reason to be knocking him as such like you are.

So basically...there is absolutely no way to voice an opinion that a young player may not be as high potential as others think without getting accused of "knocking him".

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

So I'm knocking the lad for saying he looked poor whenever I watched him play for the u20s, and for saying that I wouldn't be putting high expectations on him?

So you're telling me that he has the size and ability, and that he's only 20?
    You could put that in other terms couldn't you? You could say he has the frame and speed, and that he's still young.
    And that's exactly what I said in the post you quoted..

Yeah I think this is fair, he is clearly a great athlete but he doesn't seem a natural rugby player and I wouldn't have huge expectations for him based on what I've seen. He shouldn't exempt from that criticism just because of his age. The cap he got when he was very young doesn't really help his case at all, as there will be more expectation on him than there should be

Also I've only just seen the new thread title, whichever mod came up with that needs a raise 10/10

• Advertisement

molloyjh gets kudos for the Revenge of the STH bit

.ak wrote: »
    molloyjh gets kudos for the Revenge of the STH bit

You_Were_The_Chosen_One.jpg

MOC, YOU WERE THE CHOSEN ONE.

Ben Marshall is off West!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Ben Marshall is off West!

Good to hear that. He could do very well with them.

So Mick Kearney for Marshall, opinions. I havent watched much of Kearney.

Are they similar or have Connacht probably got the better of the two?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

Fair play to Marshall, he's had some very good showings this season. Would much rather have him in reserve over Denton, but hopefully he'll get good game time with Connacht.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

ssaye2 wrote: »
    So Mick Kearney for Marshall, opinions. I havent watched much of Kearney.

Are they similar or have Connacht probably got the better of the two?

Kearney is a reall addition to Leinster. H e really kicked on when matched with Craig Clarke last year and became a top player for us. Excellent in the lineout and scrum and a decent ball carrier to boot.

We got Quinn roux as well, while im sad to see Kearney going the way Roux has played for us and Aly Muldowneys emergence I think we got the better of the trade, even more so if Marshall is confirmed

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Would definitely have preferred him to stay rather than Denton, seems like a far more athletic player, be a good addition to Connacht though and hopefully like Roux will benefit from extra game time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭total former

I'd say it's very likely Marshall didn't want to stay; four players ahead of him (assuming Kearney is ahead of him), only one of them likely to be away on international duty, he'd be squabbling with Denton for dregs of game time - he could well have been looking at Roux's progress and thinking that it might be a better option going west.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement