Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread VI: End of the MOC [Revenge of the STH]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

It wasn't a ruck after the clear out by 2/3/5. No South African player bound. South African player entitled to come in.
    Referee correct to say use it. What else should he have said?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,611 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

It wasn't a ruck after the clear out by 2/3/5. No South African player bound. South African player entitled to come in.

Nothing - unless you think "use it" was advice rather than a command - if so it is really suckish advice. I thought he shouted "use it" to trigger the 5 second count down - thus implying that it was a ruck, and indeed also implying that Webb had 5 seconds to use it.

Ultimately there is a good analysis here as to why that wasn't a ruck, but Lacey clearly thought it was. He said "use it" and he also said "ball was out" rather than saying the "ruck was over" in his explanation.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

errlloyd wrote: »
    Nothing - unless you think "use it" was advice rather than a command - if so it is really suckish advice. I thought he shouted "use it" to trigger the 5 second count down - thus implying that it was a ruck, and indeed also implying that Webb had 5 seconds to use it.

Ultimately there is a good analysis here as to why that wasn't a ruck, but Lacey clearly thought it was. He said "use it" and he also said "ball was out" rather than saying the "ruck was over" in his explanation.

That suggests a lot of hand holding by the ref. By the looks of it the SA player just reacted quicker than the ref could suggest there's no ruck.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,611 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

.ak wrote: »
    That suggests a lot of hand holding by the ref. By the looks of it the SA player just reacted quicker than the ref could suggest there's no ruck.

Sorry if I sound like I am arguing, I am actually also confused here.

Lacey shouts "use it" as the SA player is coming around, there is literally half a second between him saying use it and the player coming round. At the context of a ruck use it means the 9 has 5 seconds to play the ball, or the referee will award a scrum to the other team for time wasting.

The reason this exists is because Munster ruined the last 20 minutes of a Heineken cup final the offside line at a ruck would allow you to time waste if it didn't. So half a second before the SA player came around, Lacey effectively told the Welsh players it was a ruck.

• Administrators Posts: 53,830 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Do all yourselves a favour and don't try and understand or comprehend a Lacey call.

I've been down that road. It's long, dark and lonely.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,594 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

just to flesh this out a bit if i may.

lets assume the ball is in the ruck, defending players are rucked out... attackers guarding over the ball.
    is the ruck finished when the defending players are rucked out... or is it finished when the ball leave the ruck?

the laws say its when the ball leaves the ruck... not the players

so id argue your intrepreatation above is incorrect

errlloyd wrote: »
    Sorry if I sound like I am arguing, I am actually also confused here.

Lacey shouts "use it" as the SA player is coming around, there is literally half a second between him saying use it and the player coming round. At the context of a ruck use it means the 9 has 5 seconds to play the ball, or the referee will award a scrum to the other team for time wasting.

The reason this exists is because Munster ruined the last 20 minutes of a Heineken cup final the offside line at a ruck would allow you to time waste if it didn't. So half a second before the SA player came around, Lacey effectively told the Welsh players it was a ruck.

It doesn't. The law, if it even is a law which I'm not sure it is, since the new 5 second rule if a ref says use it the 9 has 5 seconds to move it.

However, that's only true if the context is a ruck - in this case I think he's just saying use it because it's out. The phrase 'use it' doesn't have to be used only in the context of a ruck.

Therefore Lacey isn't telling anyone it's a ruck just by using the phrase 'use it'.

The players need to be aware of the rules and whilst the best refs will constantly chat about what their interoperation is as it's happening it doesn't mean the players don't need to know the rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

awec wrote: »
    Do all yourselves a favour and don't try and understand or comprehend a Lacey call.

And we DON'T want another trip to Vincent's after you nearly died when Lacey handed Ulster a try against Leinster.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

GT on Off the Ball tonight was saying that Leinster did/do want Deans but he's put it out that he's already under contract to a Japanese club. GT says though that Deans would actually prefer to move to a French club and not Leinster for unknown reasons, possible personal reasons!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,499 ✭✭✭Heroditas

That's only because you're the only one who disagrees with his decisions. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

sydthebeat wrote: »
    just to flesh this out a bit if i may.

lets assume the ball is in the ruck, defending players are rucked out... attackers guarding over the ball.
    is the ruck finished when the defending players are rucked out... or is it finished when the ball leave the ruck?

the laws say its when the ball leaves the ruck... not the players

so id argue your intrepreatation above is incorrect
    A ruck is formed when At least one player from a team is in physical contact with an opponent. If the players on one team clear all players of opposition out then the ruck is over.

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭guapos

This might be old news but I was surprised to see Jordan Coghlan was off to Munster
    http://www.balls.ie/rugby/munster-rugby-departures/295398

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭ray jay

CatFromHue wrote: »
    GT on Off the Ball tonight was saying that Leinster did/do want Deans but he's put it out that he's already under contract to a Japanese club. GT says though that Deans would actually prefer to move to a French club and not Leinster for unknown reasons, possible personal reasons!
    ... like his bank account balance.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,594 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

A ruck is formed when At least one player from a team is in physical contact with an opponent. If the players on one team clear all players of opposition out then the ruck is over.

Well that's not correct in accordance with the laws.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭total former

Jono Gibbes has extended his contract with Clermont until June 2018, so that's one name out of the running anyway.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭ktulu123

Balls, was hoping for Gibbes to be the man

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭total former

ktulu123 wrote: »

It was always a long shot since he was contracted to Clermont for next season, but he would have been excellent IMO, if we could have signed a decent backs coach too, would have taken some of the load off Cullen as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Philippe Saint-Andre? I'm not kidding.

ktulu123 wrote: »

Ah it would've been nice, the guys would've related to him, but I'm not sure its exactly what we need right now. Someone fresh might be a better option.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Disappointed but not too surprised. I'm almost sure that it was reported that he didn't want to be a head coach when he left Leinster and just wanted a new challenge. I could see him heading back to NZ after France.

That leaves McKenzie as the last "big name" that's closely linked with the job now.

Looking at all the listed potential candidates on PP....I think we can rule out a lot of them pretty instantly due to them being contracted elsewhere or completely off the wall which makes it fairly interesting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,840 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

Would love Gregor at Leinster. It even has a nice ring to it.
    Tried to check when his contract runs out. No hits?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Would love Gregor at Leinster. It even has a nice ring to it.
    Tried to check when his contract runs out. No hits?

He's not going to leave Glasgow for Leinster. It's a complete and utter non-runner.

Any idea when his contract runs out?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Any idea when his contract runs out?

At the moment, whenever he wants it to

At the moment, whenever he wants it to
    €€ Come on down....Denis O'Brien. All will b forgiven.
    ...Again

Spotted Declan Kidney looking at furniture in IKEA earlier today. Overheard him on the phone too to some guy called "Mick" saying he was happy enough to take the offer and was currently sorting himself some patio furniture.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭scott1974

Spotted Declan Kidney looking at furniture in IKEA earlier today. Overheard him on the phone too to some guy called "Mick" saying he was happy enough to take the offer and was currently sorting himself some patio furniture.

I think he was on to this Mick!! He musn't have liked IKEA's beds..

https://c4.staticflickr.com/4/3703/10653552106_2a5a89af27_b.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

Well that's a relief, with the weather we're having he'd have no need for patio furniture in Dublin.

Maybe Declan can't pronounce Mourad?

Actually spotted him again in the Audi garage in Ballsbridge, again overheard him saying he was looking forward to the short commute from Dundrum to Clonskeagh every day but wanted to arrive in style anyway.

• Advertisement

Actually spotted him again in the Audi garage in Ballsbridge, again overheard him saying he was looking forward to the short commute from Dundrum to Clonskeagh every day but wanted to arrive in style anyway.

Must have gotten himself a job in UCD then, because Leinster are sponsored by VW and so he'd not need an Audi!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement