Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread VI: End of the MOC [Revenge of the STH]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Song proposal, in case this comes through. To the tune of the Addams Family:

He looks like Martin McGuinness
    His backs all play with finesse
    With him we are the business

It's Tony F**king Brown

Do-do-do-do <click> <click> etc.

Might as well get the Brown-Town flag printed up for the D-4tress.

Mr. Brown's Boys

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

balls.ie have a link to this Otago try, hadn't seen it before myself. Seems this guy is a bit of a messer, I hope they do give him a shot.

My only real concern is that a coaching setup of Fogs/Cullen/Brown is very young and inexperienced on the whole. I wouldn't mind seeing an older head brought in to offer some guidance, even in an advisory capacity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭total former

Irish Times report on this also mentions Fogarty's promotion as though it's a done deal, not sure how reliable that is though.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,594 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Remind you of some of the schmidt training ground moves .....

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,594 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Just realised fogarty is younger than i am :( damn that makes me feel old

• Registered Users Posts: 24,076 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

My only real concern is that a coaching setup of Fogs/Cullen/Brown is very young and inexperienced on the whole. I wouldn't mind seeing an older head brought in to offer some guidance, even in an advisory capacity.

EOS. Straight up.

Larbre34 wrote: »
    EOS. Straight up.

Yep, I'd be happy with that. His reputation is a bit authoritarian perhaps to be an advisor, if there was any concern he'd undermine Brown then that probably wouldn't be worth doing. Kidney might consider doing it in tandem with his current role as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Kidney might consider doing it in tandem with his current role as well.

I assume this is tongue firmly in cheek.

I assume this is tongue firmly in cheek.

No, not even slightly. Why would it be? I'm just referring to someone in an advisory capacity to lend experience where it's required, he's one of the best candidates for that around.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Yep, I'd be happy with that. His reputation is a bit authoritarian perhaps to be an advisor, if there was any concern he'd undermine Brown then that probably wouldn't be worth doing. Kidney might consider doing it in tandem with his current role as well.

Eddie likes to run the backs so I'm not sure how that it'd work with Brown.

CatFromHue wrote: »
    Eddie likes to run the backs so I'm not sure how that it'd work with Brown.

I wouldn't let him anywhere near running anything on the field, if Brown and Fogarty are coming in then we have pretty much everything covered.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

No, not even slightly. Why would it be? I'm just referring to someone in an advisory capacity to lend experience where it's required, he's one of the best candidates for that around.

Because he's already left Leinster on not great terms and his last few seasons with Ireland did him so much damage to his reputation that he's totally out of the game now? I wouldn't want him coaching Leinster, picking the team at Leinster, beyond I just don't really know what he'd add.

Because he's already left Leinster on not great terms and his last few seasons with Ireland did him so much damage to his reputation that he's totally out of the game now? I wouldn't want him coaching Leinster, picking the team at Leinster, beyond I just don't really know what he'd add.

Yeah most if not all of the guys at Leinster under Kidney are gone at this stage but there seemed to be quite a bit of bad blood at the time and I've heard (albeit a rumour) that some of this was put into words by some of the players and is considered to have been to blame for some selection decisions at international level.

All tin foil hat stuff in my opinion but have heard it discussed.

Deccie could be a useful old head to have around. Think I read somewhere that he sorted out a fair bit of inter-club bickering at Munster and then a fair bit of inter-provincial bickering at Ireland. This kind of group-management is pretty important and not something young coaches will be used to.

That said, he lives and works full-time in Cork. Hard to see this working logistically.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭DelMcG

• Administrators Posts: 53,830 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

July and August? What?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

.ak wrote: »
    I could live with that. Get Kurt back as defence coach and bobs your uncle.

I know, I'm weirded out too. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Does Kurt have any relation to Brown?

Could this be a trial run with a view to a full time promotion? They could assess his candidacy away from media scrutiny and promote him if they feel he is up the task, and if not, he can walk away with saved face, 'oh I was only here for 2 months to work on some defensive stuff' etc.

• Advertisement

.ak wrote: »
    Does Kurt have any relation to Brown?

If I remember he has a cousin or second cousin that has a surname Brown. So he has one in the Brown, clan.

Neil3030 wrote: »
    Could this be a trial run with a view to a full time promotion? They could assess his candidacy away from media scrutiny and promote him if they feel he is up the task, and if not, he can walk away with saved face, 'oh I was only here for 2 months to work on some defensive stuff' etc.

They can only assess his candidacy when Leinster start playing some games.

They can only assess his candidacy when Leinster start playing some games.

See how he handles the day to day though. I mean, you probably couldn't make a reliable call on the team's performances in two months anyway, even if there was a full schedule.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I thought it said he was only coming in as a defence coach so I don't see it as being a trial for head coach.

It makes sense as, depending on who they get, the possible head coach may want to run defence himself.

CatFromHue wrote: »
    I thought it said he was only coming in as a defence coach so I don't see it as being a trial for head coach.

It makes sense as, depending on who they get, the possible head coach may want to run defence himself.

In which case, there's probably not much in the Tony Brown story then.

As someone on LF points out - if the story really had legs, could you imagine Thornley letting Cummiskey break it?

In which case, there's probably not much in the Tony Brown story then.

As someone on LF points out - if the story really had legs, could you imagine Thornley letting Cummiskey break it?

The one thing I know about forum posters is that they are well briefed on story rights and politics within a news environment.

The one thing I know about forum posters is that they are well briefed on story rights and politics within a news environment.

Well the one thing I know about the IT is that Gerry gets the Glengarry leads ;)

Well the one thing I know about the IT is that Gerry gets the Glengarry leads ;)

Cummiskey must have closed it off quicker. ABC

Cummiskey must have closed it off quicker. ABC

Hopefully he has! The following [Thornleyism]coaching ticket[/Thronleyism] would certainly be exciting:

HC/Backs: Brown
    D: Kurt
    Forwards: Leo
    Fat men: Fogarty

• Advertisement

Hopefully he has! The following [Thornleyism]coaching ticket[/Thronleyism] would certainly be exciting:

HC/Backs: Brown
    D: Kurt
    Forwards: Leo
    Fat men: Fogarty

Whatever it is, so long as the talent translates onto the page I'll be happy. I do believe we have amazing resources and world class talent at our disposal, and getting that to work on a consistent basis is a big, but highly rewarding challenge.

Can't believe no one has responded to my one in the brown comment yet.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement