Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread VI: End of the MOC [Revenge of the STH]

Options

Comments

• Administrators Posts: 53,832 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

TommyOM wrote: »
    Defending him to the bitter end :pac:
    Sums up the past nine months in one sentence.

And proves once more that for a good few people, despite all the shrill denials, it was very, very personal.

Pathetic.

You two need to end this little tiff. Move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Siteserv Stadium

There's alliteration and everything!

Shame (a) this wasn't 10 years ago and (b) Dempsey wasn't a dirtier player, otherwise its nickname could have been the citegirv stadium

<gets coat>

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Leinster confirm appointment with of Fogarty and Kurt

http://www.leinsterrugby.ie/news/13655.php#.VX6mGSK9KnN

So Girve will be the backs coach, but his promotion hasn't been noted, which suggests it's temporary and that leinster are still looking to appoint a new head coach with a back's background

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

.ak wrote: »

So Girve will be the backs coach, but his promotion hasn't been noted, which suggests it's temporary and that leinster are still looking to appoint a new head coach with a back's background

It's interesting that they refer to Leo as Head Coach in the statement as well. So our pre-season set-up will be:

Leo Cullen: Head Coach & Forwards Coach
    Girvan Dempsey: Backs Coach
    Kurt McQuilkin: Defence Coach
    John Fogarty: Scrum Coach

I'm assuming Girv will look after skills and kicking too in Richies absence???

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

You get that from "Top of the list was a need to put in place the resources to support Leo in his role as Head Coach"?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Shaun Berne is going to be kicking around the place as well it seems. The legacy of Cheika continues to grow.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

They're getting a lot of people in for 'short-term' roles. Are they breaking the news gently for longer term appointments?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

Teferi wrote: »
    They're getting a lot of people in for 'short-term' roles. Are they breaking the news gently for longer term appointments?

Nah, they are just leaving it open for the new head coach to bring in his own team if needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭wicklowwonder

Teferi wrote: »

Or waiting until after the World Cup to see what coaches come free......

However Paddy Power seem to have pulled the market from their site as well. Just logged on to see who was the bookies favourite for the job and the market seems to be gone, not sure if they paying out on Leo.

You get that from "Top of the list was a need to put in place the resources to support Leo in his role as Head Coach"?

Yeah, all along LR have been saying Leo is interim head coach. And why not announce Girve's 'promotion' to the senior setup like they did with Fogarty? It suggests it's not permanent.

• Advertisement

Shaun Berne is going to be kicking around the place as well it seems. The legacy of Cheika continues to grow.

I didn't even know he was still about.

molloyjh wrote: »
    It's interesting that they refer to Leo as Head Coach in the statement as well. So our pre-season set-up will be:

Leo Cullen: Head Coach & Forwards Coach
    Girvan Dempsey: Backs Coach
    Kurt McQuilkin: Defence Coach
    John Fogarty: Scrum Coach

I'm assuming Girv will look after skills and kicking too in Richies absence???

Leo aside it's a potentially very good coaching team. Girve I think has the pedigree to go far in the coaching world.

Leo aside it's a potentially very good coaching team. Girve I think has the pedigree to go far in the coaching world.

that's some aside!

that's some aside!

It is. I'm honestly not sold on him, our forward play was really poor last year but maybe that was down to how our attack structure was setup.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

By god I hope it's not Leo, even as a short term coach till after the WC

By god I hope it's not Leo, even as a short term coach till after the WC

I reckon at this stage that's exactly what's going to happen. Even if Brown is being looked at he won't be here til after the RWC.

It is. I'm honestly not sold on him, our forward play was really poor last year but maybe that was down to how our attack structure was setup.

It's most likely down to the fact he was new to the role and possibly too close to the guys he was coaching too. I don't doubt that he'll improve and could well become a very good coach in time. In fact I truly hope he does. He still shouldn't be learning his craft at a top European club though. And he most certainly should not be the head coach for anything more than a few weeks of pre-season.

Completely missed that bit at the end. He was massively underrated as a player I thought. He was a very useful guy to have in the squad.

God I love that try.

I don't think I'll ever forget that try. Everyone descended on Shaggy and the ball just appeared out of nowhere in BOD's hands. I was sitting in the grandstand and it took a second to work out how he'd done it!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

I reckon at this stage that's exactly what's going to happen. Even if Brown is being looked at he won't be here til after the RWC.

Why wouldn't Brown be able to arrive until after the RWC?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

Shaggy, Isa, BOD, Hines....sniff, good times

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭total former

I dunno lads. Cullen, Fogarty, McQuilkin, Girve, Berne. All ex-players with no real coaching experience anywhere else.

If I was a douchebag management consultant, I'd be talking about maximising synergy by cross-fertilisation of ideas. That's not really going to happen here.

I suppose it all depends on who the head coach is.

I don't think I'll ever forget that try. Everyone descended on Shaggy and the ball just appeared out of nowhere in BOD's hands. I was sitting in the grandstand and it took a second to work out how he'd done it!

It was one of those tries where you couldn't wait to get home and watch it again. First thing I did when I got in the door.

The best bit is the "Oooooohhhh" of disbelief from the crowd at the ball, suspended mid air and spinning, awaiting BOD.

Buer wrote: »

Because he's got savage tickets for NZs semi-final?

I dunno lads. Cullen, Fogarty, McQuilkin, Girve, Berne. All ex-players with no real coaching experience anywhere else.

If I was a douchebag management consultant, I'd be talking about maximising synergy by cross-fertilisation of ideas. That's not really going to happen here.

They're just running this idea up the flagpole to see if anyone salutes.

• Administrators Posts: 53,832 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

It's a big bag of coaching averageness and mediocrity.

Buer wrote: »

Well there was a rumour he wouldn't be arriving until October even if he did sign. I'm not sure, maybe he has some sort of commitment there? But it just seems like it's too late in the day to bring anyone in pre-RWC unless we sign them in the next 2 weeks.

McQuilken was good.

That's all we can really say about that group.

Is that enough?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

The question in my mind at the moment is are we signing someone from the npc/currie cup or a current international coach as a real head coach.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Jobs for the boys.

So not only does not the new coach not get to choose his coaching ticket, the ticket he gets is made up exclusively of local boys and/or ex-players. Hardly an ideal scenario if you want to come in and shake things up with your own coaching flavour on the team.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement