Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread VI: End of the MOC [Revenge of the STH]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭TheGoldenAges

I'm surprised most seem to forget that Daire O'Brien will more than likely be given the Six Nations hosting position next year. I'd rather watch the punditry on French television than on RTÉ personally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭Mahatma Geansai

I have a lot of respect for Munster fans but there is definitely a larger contingent of them who will actively root against Leinster than I've seen at any other province. That's anecdotal as well, but it's also been my experience.

Its tarring everyone with the same brush. I'd probably get a warning for such provincial mudslinging and strawmaning.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Its tarring everyone with the same brush. I'd probably get a warning for such provincial mudslinging and strawmaning.

Referring to a contingent of people within a larger group is actually the exact opposite of tarring everyone with the same brush, I suspect you may not understand the meaning of the term.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭SaveOurLyric

I'd probably get a warning for such provincial mudslinging and strawmaning.

Past record and 'being known to the Mods' is probably taken into account though. ;)

Referring to a contingent of people within a larger group is actually the exact opposite of tarring everyone with the same brush, I suspect you may not understand the meaning of the term.

I was referring to the original post with my tarring everyone with the same brush remark. The poster essentially stated that upstanding Connacht fans would never route against another province, but the scoundrels from the south are notorious for it. Maybe my posts aren't best directed at you.

• Advertisement

Past record and 'being known to the Mods' is probably taken into account though. ;)

It doesn't help that I'm normally the one leading the anti-Leinster choruses in pubs throughout the province. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 17,148 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

It doesn't help that I'm normally the one leading the anti-Leinster choruses in pubs throughout the province. :p

Well thankfully us Leinster fans only frequent café bars or the clubhouses of our cricket teams, so we don't have to witness this ghastly plebeian impropriety.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,152 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Just noticed our game this weekend is on Sunday but our SF the week after is also on Sunday so not too bad

• Registered Users Posts: 24,222 ✭✭✭✭phog

Should that matter? A post is either acceptable or it's no, who the author is should have no bearing on it's acceptability.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭total former

CatFromHue wrote: »
    Just noticed our game this weekend is on Sunday but our SF the week after is also on Sunday so not too bad

Yeah it's OK but only 5 days between a semi final in Marseille and a league game in Belfast...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

I hate Leinster. I bought a Leinster season ticket to save the supporters from the dark side. Going to all those Leinster matches, talk about personal sacrifice like.

I give molloyjh and .ak another year before they emigrate to Limerick and become Munster heads.

Not enough brunch spots and 3FE coffee.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

.ak wrote: »

Jasmine Palace. Google is your friend.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

back on topic please. Enough about fans and their classlessness etc... there is too much looking to be offended going on here imo.

MG, next time you state something along the lines that "I'd probably get a warning for such provincial mudslinging and strawmaning", you will be banned for backseat moderation.

Phog et al, this is not the place to discuss moderation, If you want to discuss the modding start a thread in feedback.

CatFromHue wrote: »

Worked out perfect for us.

#anygivensunday

• Registered Users Posts: 9,473 ✭✭✭Heroditas

I got a 3FE coffee for the first time on Saturday. After asking for a cappuccino and latte, we were presented with two coffees.
    "Which is which?" I innocently asked.

<big sigh> "We make all our coffees the same" replied the barista condescendingly.
    I hope he's strangled with his skinny jeans.

Heroditas wrote: »
    I got a 3FE coffee for the first time on Saturday. After asking for a cappuccino and latte, we were presented with two coffees.

<big sigh> "We make all our coffees the same" replied the barista condescendingly.

Haha, brilliant. He was probably only short of saying 'We ironically make all of our coffees the same.'

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭lemansky

You WILL appreciate the toffee apple notes, green grape acidity, and rich, full mouth feel :pac:

OMG, that is so pretentious.

So, emm, where is it exactly?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

rugby...?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Eponymous

RuggieBear wrote: »
    rugby...?
    Huh?

• Advertisement

Back in the mists of time, when Madigan was first being put at 12, 15 or anywhere that wasn't the 10 jersey, the shortage of backs was cited as the reason.

From our somewhat restricted view of the match on Saturday, it seemed to me that Gopperth's kicking was abysmal. Now we seem to be back to a full deck of backs, isn't it now time to put Jimmy to pasture and let Madigan back into the 10 shirt for the rest of the season?

RuggieBear wrote: »
    rugby...?

C'mon it's the Leinster thread, good (read: pretentious) coffee is an important topic.

... But anyway, we've established that now. What sort of team do people think we'll see take on the Dragons next week?

Don't think it'll be as easy as people think, Dragons have been building up a bit of form at home but I think we'll send a strong squad as a demo run for Toulon.

I used to remember having a good proper test (usually against Ulster) before the knock outs. Suppose we got that with Glasgow but I'd have preferred Glasgow this weekend and Dragons before the Q4....

Eponymous wrote: »
    Back in the mists of time, when Madigan was first being put at 12, 15 or anywhere that wasn't the 10 jersey, the shortage of backs was cited as the reason.

From our somewhat restricted view of the match on Saturday, it seemed to me that Gopperth's kicking was abysmal. Now we seem to be back to a full deck of backs, isn't it now time to put Jimmy to pasture and let Madigan back into the 10 shirt for the rest of the season?

Now? Why now? :confused:

Like, as bad as Jimmy is, Madigan is worse.. especially his kicking from hand? And by the sounds of it he's going to be used as a 12 next season too.

It'd be madness to start him at 10 now...

• Registered Users Posts: 24,229 ✭✭✭✭Buer

I would think we'll put out a strong side while resting a few guys who had long stints in the 6N. Something along the lines of:

Healy, Cronin, Moore, Douglas (if fit), McCarthy, SOB, Jennings, Heaslip, Reddan, Gopperth, Kearney, Madigan, Te'o, Fitzgerald, Kirchner

Gives guys like Ross, McGrath, Toner and Kearney a little bit of respite. SOB might be worth a rest but neither played all the 6N games and SOB probably still could do with more pitch time.

Let's put Te'o at 10, McCarthy at 12 and just play knock-on rugby.

The bench could just be another pack and we just aim for 30+ scrums, hoping to win more penalties than we concede.

Every so often, let Kearney step into 10 and hoof the ball down the pitch.

I think we can rest a couple of players but the bulk of the first team needs to play to maintain some level of consistency.

I thought Healy looked wrecked on Saturday so I'd bench him, give McGrath the run, maybe likewise at tighthead. Douglas will presumably get a game if fit and McFadden will probably miss out too. Other than that, as you were I'd say.

I just think Madigan offers a bit of enterprise and imagination that Gopperth lacks. It seems to me that Gopperth will look to kick as his first option (then executes it poorly) and when he does distribute it's never a sure thing that it'll reach its intended recipient.

I don't know how you can say Madigan is worse, he has had feck all opportunity to play 10 all season and when he has played there he's been rusty but no worse than Gopperth who hasn't played any other position. I daresay if he'd had a few games at 10 he'd be in much better form at the position.

• Administrators Posts: 53,730 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Madigan runs with the ball too often. Not good at bringing those outside him in to the game, holds on to the ball for too long. Sometimes you feel that he has it in his head that he has an obligation to beat a man every time before passing.

I am pretty sure that Madigans race at 10 has been run. He is a 12 now, and even then he can be frustrating with his excessive holding on to the ball. I thought he was pretty poor on Saturday and a lot of Leinster's moves broke down at the 12 channel.

Eponymous wrote: »
    I just think Madigan offers a bit of enterprise and imagination that Gopperth lacks. It seems to me that Gopperth will look to kick as his first option (then executes it poorly) and when he does distribute it's never a sure thing that it'll reach its intended recipient.

I don't know how you can say Madigan is worse, he has had feck all opportunity to play 10 all season and when he has played there he's been rusty but no worse than Gopperth who hasn't played any other position. I daresay if he'd had a few games at 10 he'd be in much better form at the position.

Because I've watched him play 10 since his days as a FB for BR. More importantly, I've seen what he can do at 10 for Leinster over the past few seasons. There's a reason why MOC won't play him there - because he gave him all the opportunity to show what he could do last season.

I really like Ian as a player and he's a top bloke, but until he learns how to read a game and how to chose his plays better and more in advance then he'll always be a poor 10. He relies far too much on his own off the cuff skillset and refuses to calm down and think about where the ball needs to go. He weighs up his options very poorly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭Mr.Applepie

Now? Why now? :confused:

Like, as bad as Jimmy is, Madigan is worse.. especially his kicking from hand? And by the sounds of it he's going to be used as a 12 next season too.

It'd be madness to start him at 10 now...

Neither of them can kick from hand. It's been a serious weakness the whole season. We can't play field position or pin teams in their half.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement