Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread VI: End of the MOC [Revenge of the STH]

Options

Comments

Uriel. wrote: »
    Teeheehee

If I want to disappear for two weekends in a row I'll have to shower her with golden gifts. Ah feck it, can't be arsed with all these double entendre's.

Wee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭bunnyarmstrong

That's a pity. I thought urinate sense of puns would create a whole stream of them.

• Administrators Posts: 53,832 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

http://www.the42.ie/leinster-head-coach-vacancy-surprise-2169635-Jun2015/

"Leinster surprised by lack of high-profile interest in head coaching position"

Looks like it's going to be Leo and his merry men for the season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭total former

Meh, I wouldn't take anything published on the42.ie as being remotely reliable, but he makes some good points about how the job is definitely less attractive now than it was even a year ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭LostArt

Well if Brown is coming, it certainly won't be announced until the Highlanders season is over. So we'll probably know in the next couple of weeks.

• Advertisement

Meh, I wouldn't take anything published on the42.ie as being remotely reliable, but he makes some good points about how the job is definitely less attractive now than it was even a year ago.

And far less attractive that it would be in a year too.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

Any examples of how they are unreliable. I would have thought Murray Kinsella is very reliable.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

And far less attractive that it would be in a year too.

I would be happy enough if they did the compromise mentioned in that article of starting the season with Leo and co and making a quality appointment around January with an eye to 2016 but giving them a free shot at the end of this coming season. My expectations for this season are ar the floor already, I wouldn't mind them taking their time and bringing someone in mid-season, regardless of potential disruption

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

jm08 wrote: »
    Any examples of how they are unreliable. I would have thought Murray Kinsella is very reliable.

The site is very quick to jump on rumours from other sources, like a lot of those sites these days.

That article to me just looks like content for the sake of content. "The news about the Leinster job is that we have no news about the Leinster job"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭Clearlier

It's a well written piece which confirms that there wasn't a plan to replace MOC, tells us that there hasn't been any interesting expressions of interest in the job and discusses the possible outcomes arising from that. I'm a bit surprised that there's no mention of approaching candidates though.

• Advertisement

Kinsella's articles are usually a fair bit better than Indo-clickbait though.

Just because it's on the42 doesn't negate it imo. Pinch of salt, but hardly pulled out of thin air.

Just because it's on the42 doesn't negate it imo. Pinch of salt, but hardly pulled out of thin air.

Yeah I definitely like Kinsella. He's known for the analysis though so I suppose in the off-season may be pushed to clutch at a few more straws to fulfill his obligations to those guys.

On a slightly off-tangent note, I see boards.ie are linked to from the bottom of the site. Is there a commercial relationship between boards.ie and the Journal? Please don't ban me.

The site is very quick to jump on rumours from other sources, like a lot of those sites these days.

That article to me just looks like content for the sake of content. "The news about the Leinster job is that we have no news about the Leinster job"

That's exactly it. It's the sort of piece they know they can write and no-one will ever challenge or contradict it.

The42.ie, joe.ie and balls.ie are all decent places to go for a bit of mild amusement but they are not reliable sources of news, most of it is just re-reporting stuff they've seen elsewhere or else it's pure spoofing. The Indo website is the worst of the lot, of course.

People here like Kinsella's hyper-analysis pieces; I don't like them but you can see he knows what he's talking about; that's different a kettle of fish to actually acquiring and reporting insider information from the Leinster PGB, which I don't believe he has.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

On a slightly off-tangent note, I see boards.ie are linked to from the bottom of the site. Is there a commercial relationship between boards.ie and the Journal? Please don't ban me.
    both owned by the Daft.ie guys (Distilled media , i think)

That's exactly it. It's the sort of piece they know they can write and no-one will ever challenge or contradict it.

The42.ie, joe.ie and balls.ie are all decent places to go for a bit of mild amusement but they are not reliable sources of news, most of it is just re-reporting stuff they've seen elsewhere or else it's pure spoofing. The Indo website is the worst of the lot, of course.

All true, but Kinsella's name adds more weight. Definitely.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭Clearlier

RuggieBear wrote: »
    both owned by the Daft.ie guys (Distilled media , i think)

Correct.

More info here.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

The article basically says exactly the same things that have been posted here over the last few days with a bit added about the PGB being surprised at the lack of high profile candidates. Leinster have almost never looked for high profile coaches in recent times anyway so that bit can and should be ignored. There's also a dearth of available options at the moment as well given the timing so it can hardly come as a surprise that there isn't a coach lined up yet. There is still talk about a coach coming in early/mid-season, which I think is the most likely outcome anyway.

Lads with or without MOC this season was always going to be a bit of a write-off. Missing so many players for such a large part of the season plus a really tough Champion Cup pool made this inevitable. I'd rather we took our time and got a decent coach in. And I think we're giving ourselves the best chance of doing just that. It may make the season a tough one, but it wasn't going to be a successful one anyway so we may as well bite the bullet now.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Personally, I'm a bit excited to see what Dempsey can do with the backs and the academy guys he has brought through.

Cullen, not so hot on but we saw last season that the pack were still able to go toe to toe with the best when they had to.

In a way we might be better suited with Dempsey in the coaching team thanks to his familiarity with the As group. There's going to be so much disruption across the league in the Autumn that we could feasibly put the A team on the field and do very well imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

Buer wrote: »
    Personally, I'm a bit excited to see what Dempsey can do with the backs and the academy guys he has brought through.

Too right. I'm very excited to see what he does. It's a good situation for him too, if it doesn't work out then he can just hold his hands up and go back to the A's but I don't think that will happen. I have a feeling he has a rather large ceiling and he has been taking the steps up the coaching ladder in the correct way.

• Advertisement

People here like Kinsella's hyper-analysis pieces; I don't like them but you can see he knows what he's talking about; that's different a kettle of fish to actually acquiring and reporting insider information from the Leinster PGB, which I don't believe he has.

I don't know about that - Murray was the one selected to read the player reports in emailgate by IRFU/Munster, I'd say he has plenty of insider information.

As well as that, he is doing Super Rugby analysis for The Rugby Site, so he would have plenty of contacts in the SH to be able to find out how it is viewed down there.

edit: there could also be an element of preparing the ground for the news that is to follow (and that part is working if you read the comments here).

I don't know about that - Murray was the one selected to read the player reports in emailgate by IRFU/Munster, I'd say he has plenty of insider information.

Eh?

Eh?

Murray was given the full emails that were circulated and reported on how bad / good they were.

He was obviously trusted by the players and by the management.

Murray was given the full emails that were circulated and reported on how bad / good they were.

He was obviously trusted by the players and by the management.

Ah now you're just making stuff up.

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭jaansu

jaansu wrote: »

Good god I hope not.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

jaansu wrote: »

No being smart, but I'd really love to know exactly what it is that Kirwan has done in a coaching capacity that has his name mentioned so regularly. Has he actually accomplished anything at all in the last few years with either the Blues or Italy?

Personally I don't want him anywhere near Leinster.

Well the42.ie is also reporting on it so it's a done deal, obvs.
    http://www.the42.ie/john-kirwan-auckland-blues-2170926-Jun2015/

Seriously though, I wouldn't want him anywhere near Leinster.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭ssaye2

molloyjh wrote: »
    No being smart, but I'd really love to know exactly what it is that Kirwan has done in a coaching capacity that has his name mentioned so regularly. Has he actually accomplished anything at all in the last few years with either the Blues or Italy?

Personally I don't want him anywhere near Leinster.

No, poor record, the only vague connection would be Isa working with him and recommending him so how.

• Advertisement

They won three games this season, three!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement