Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread VI: End of the MOC [Revenge of the STH]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭chippers

matthew8 wrote: »
    Marsh has had a few years to break through and hasn't done it. Don't think it's certain at all that he'd be a better option than Byrne.

I've always thought he's played well when given an opportunity. It's a good move from him personally to go to Connacht, i hope he gets some decent gametime and develops his career as he's a very talented player.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭wise7

chippers wrote: »
    I've always thought he's played well when given an opportunity. It's a good move from him personally to go to Connacht, i hope he gets some decent gametime and develops his career as he's a very talented player.
    As yet this is still surely still a rumour about Cathal Marsh moving West?. Is there any confirmation likely and if true, will it be a post WC move?

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭armchaircoach

wise7 wrote: »
    As yet this is still surely still a rumour about Cathal Marsh moving West?. Is there any confirmation likely and if true, will it be a post WC move?

If it was post Wc that would mean he couldn't play pro 12 for connacht , so that's not likely to be the case. Providing that there is any truth to the rumour

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭total former

If it was post Wc that would mean he couldn't play pro 12 for connacht , so that's not likely to be the case. Providing that there is any truth to the rumour

There's no rule to prevent him playing for two clubs in one season.

The rumour on this other forum says that it's Nucifora's idea to send Marsh west. That doesn't seem likely.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

The rumour on this other forum says that it's Nucifora's idea to send Marsh west. That doesn't seem likely.

But isn't this the very kind of inter provincial transaction he was charged with overseeing?

• Advertisement

Neil3030 wrote: »
    But isn't this the very kind of inter provincial transaction he was charged with overseeing?

Yeah, I'd just have thought Marsh would be a bit far down the food chain for Nucifora to be bothered.

Plus he only just signed a new contract at Leinster.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Yeah, I'd just have thought Marsh would be a bit far down the food chain for Nucifora to be bothered.

Plus he only just signed a new contract at Leinster.

Connacht's need for a 10 has to be near the top of the food chain in terms of positional issues at any of the provinces though

Tox56 wrote: »
    Connacht's need for a 10 has to be near the top of the food chain in terms of positional issues at any of the provinces though

Fair point, they are badly stuck but I'd have thought they'd be looking for someone more proven.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭wise7

Tox56 wrote: »
    This rumour of Cathal Marsh to Connacht was posted by Goreguy on the Rumour Mill on Leinster Addicts on the 19th. Has anyone got anything that can add or subtract to its substance?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭ArmchairQB

wise7 wrote: »
    This rumour of Cathal Marsh to Connacht was posted by Goreguy on the Rumour Mill on Leinster Addicts on the 19th. Has anyone got anything that can add or subtract to its substance?

Was rumoured earlier in the season to be heading to Munster the Connacht rumour is more recent but by the sounds of it he may be moving away from Leinster

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

RuggieBear wrote: »

Ah pheck - I had high hopes for him.

• Administrators Posts: 53,832 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Trying not to sound blunt, but maybe the Leinster job isn't as attractive as some people think.

Ulster struggled to get a coach, our worldwide search brought us 5 minutes down the M1 to Lisburn. Munster appointed a local coach, whether or not they declined better from abroad is unknown but I suspect not.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,595 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

awec wrote: »
    Trying not to sound blunt, but maybe the Leinster job isn't as attractive as some people think.

Ulster struggled to get a coach, our worldwide search brought us 5 minutes down the M1 to Lisburn. Munster appointed a local coach, whether or not they declined better from abroad is unknown but I suspect not.

Probably a harsh truth.
    Taking Brown for instance, Highlanders finished 14th in 2013 in browns first season as assistant coach, then 6th in 2014 with an away qualifier... and this season have reached the semis.
    so theres definitely an upward curve there, and a real possibility of him being given the Highlanders head coach after Jamie Joseph

compare that to Leinster currently.

I think the Brown rumour was always a bit dodgy. He has another year left on his contract at the Highlanders, bailing out on them to move to Ireland might be shooting himself in the foot for future jobs in NZ, and by all accounts he's doing very well there so why would he want to leave?

As to the overall attractiveness of the job, I think it's a very attractive job for a certain level of coach but any suggestions that big-name, former international coaches were realistic prospects were well wide of the mark.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Has Galthie ever been mentioned? After the way his time at Montpellier ended maybe he would like a fresh start.

I think the Brown rumour was always a bit dodgy. He has another year left on his contract at the Highlanders, bailing out on them to move to Ireland might be shooting himself in the foot for future jobs in NZ, and by all accounts he's doing very well there so why would he want to leave?

As to the overall attractiveness of the job, I think it's a very attractive job for a certain level of coach but any suggestions that big-name, former international coaches were realistic prospects were well wide of the mark.

Obviously a couple of factors at play in that the restrictions on NIQ's and budget are hindering us compared to other top level clubs which is where we want to be and is not making us as an attractive proposition as we think we are. Also 1st few months with our lack of strength & depth could be viewed as a very unattractive proposition for any coach trying to make his name basically on a hiding to nothing. Hopefully and with their track record Dawson & Co have a plan in place but I am officially in the worried category for now

I have a hard time believing that it was the original plan to start this season without a new head coach appointment.

I don't think the IRFU rules play much part in it either tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭mogwai81

With the next 7's competition being held towards the end of July i wonder what this means for Adam Byrne and Tom Daly's Leinster prospects. Is it viewed as a good experience and game time or is the province not too concerned about them potential missing pre season.
    With D'Arcy retired and Madigan possibly going to the world cup you would imagine Daly might see some game time if anything happened to Noel Reid. Regarding Adam Byrne, i know he looked a bit error prone at U20 level a few years ago and has had his injury problems but he seems to have bags of potential with his pace and power.(Anybody watching him for UCD last year would have a better idea of his more recent form)

I have a hard time believing that it was the original plan to start this season without a new head coach appointment.

I think the plan was to start this season with Matt O'Connor as head coach...
    I don't think the IRFU rules play much part in it either tbh.

I'd agree, or at least they shouldn't play a part, but I think the O'Connor experience this season will have served as a warning to other coaches, that they are very much playing second fiddle to the national team.

Neither side came out of it very well, O'Connor definitely didn't do himself any favours, but any prospective coach would have looked at that and been concerned that a) the national side would deprive him of key players at key times in the season and b) the national management didn't baulk at publicly b*tch-slapping a provincial coach. It wasn't a great recruitment aid.

• Advertisement

I think the plan was to start this season with Matt O'Connor as head coach...

I'd agree, or at least they shouldn't play a part, but I think the O'Connor experience this season will have served as a warning to other coaches, that they are very much playing second fiddle to the national team.

Neither side came out of it very well, O'Connor definitely didn't do himself any favours, but any prospective coach would have looked at that and been concerned that a) the national side would deprive him of key players at key times in the season and b) the national management didn't baulk at publicly b*tch-slapping a provincial coach. It wasn't a great recruitment aid.

I meant when Leinster agreed to release O'Connor (or whatever happened), I can't imagine that at that point they planned to start this season without a new appointment.

mogwai81 wrote: »
    With the next 7's competition being held towards the end of July i wonder what this means for Adam Byrne and Tom Daly's Leinster prospects. Is it viewed as a good experience and game time or is the province not too concerned about them potential missing pre season.
    With D'Arcy retired and Madigan possibly going to the world cup you would imagine Daly might see some game time if anything happened to Noel Reid. Regarding Adam Byrne, i know he looked a bit error prone at U20 level a few years ago and has had his injury problems but he seems to have bags of potential with his pace and power.(Anybody watching him for UCD last year would have a better idea of his more recent form)

Not sure if there is another 7s tournament in August if we get thru next one but will hopefully give lads a platform to showcase their talents. Adam Byrne has had flashes of brillance with plenty of dissapointing performances for UCD very inconsistent. In the 7s he is flying full of confidence, leading try scorer and player of the tournament so hopefully he can kick on and deliver on his potential this season with Leinster

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

mogwai81 wrote: »
    I don't see it as bad for their future prospects with the province and they're doing some other very valuable work wrt their play by playing with the 7s. The 7s if they make it to the final Olympic qualification tournament they will be playing that early next year so guys involved in 7s could end up playing AIL and prepping for the 7s

http://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/guinness-pro12/isa-nacewa-im-back-at-leinster-to-win-more-silverware-31325718.html

Have to say, I was initially skeptical but I am starting to get very excited about Nacewa's return.
    "The itch never left me, genuinely. The down time did wonders for me mentally, more so physically.
    "I've learned more in the last 18 months about looking after my body than I ever did. I will see the benefits in the coming year.
    "It would be ideal if every player could take a year or two off when they turn 28, get rid of all their niggles and just start off again from scratch.
    "I played five full-on years with not much break and I was always about 80pc. You're never 100pc, that's a myth.
    "The fact that I had heaps of time off, I do look at things differently now in terms of recovery.
    "So now I feel really fresher than ever before. I'm probably in better shape than when I started my final year with Leinster.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Yeah he certainly looks in great shape. I very much believe what he says - however that won't compensate for rustiness and match fitness, not to mention readjusting to the knocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

.ak wrote: »
    Yeah he certainly looks in great shape. I very much believe what he says - however that won't compensate for rustiness and match fitness, not to mention readjusting to the knocks.

Listened to an interview with him this morning and he seemed genuinely excited to be back. He was talking a million miles a minute. That alone did it for me. I simply cannot wait for that game in the RDS where he runs on the pitch to start. There may be some rustiness but as long as we expect that and he grows back into it over the course of the season then I'll be happy enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

To be honest, I don't think rustiness and match fitness (as subjective/incalculable as those terms are) will be such a major problem because he is coming into pre-season.
    If he was dropping in mid-season it might be very concerning, but he will get a chance to come up to speed with the rest of the guys.

While you might be right about the knocks taking more of a toll, they certainly will, but that will just make him more stiff and sore the next day, shouldn't lead to differences on the field I wouldn't think.

Genuinely great bloke and I believe he still has plenty to offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

I think he'll do a lot to demonstrate standards and professionalism to the younger players that will be involved in the early season. Our preparation and professionalism took a serious hit given the loss of the likes of BOD, Sexton and Nacewa in a very short timespan. His return will go some way to assuaging that.

With all that said, I still can't figure out how we've himself and Kirchner on the books. Really hope we get a look at Cian Kelleher early next season.

Will he come straight back in to the main team or will he play some A rugby first? Could well see him up in Ravenhill.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Probably a harsh truth.
    Taking Brown for instance, Highlanders finished 14th in 2013 in browns first season as assistant coach, then 6th in 2014 with an away qualifier... and this season have reached the semis.
    so theres definitely an upward curve there, and a real possibility of him being given the Highlanders head coach after Jamie Joseph

compare that to Leinster currently.

What is Leinster currently though? Leinster have a top class international pack and have signed the best player in the world in the most important position on the field. Even with one of our worst performing seasons in recent memory we got to the semi-final of the H Cup. Maybe the world cup complicates things but its not like any prospective coach wouldn't have a lot to work with.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement