Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread VI: End of the MOC [Revenge of the STH]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,080 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

I don't think the fans were out of line in not accepting a strategy which saw good players straight-jacketed and killed creativity and which saw months of poor performances, not when it was known there was much more capability.

It became extreme when the stuff on the pitch became farcical. If the fanbase had even a small bit to do with MOC departing, it should not be regretted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭total former

Who is MOC? A new signing?

F**k's sake Emmet, keep up. After Bayonne's relegation to ProD2, we've swooped for one of their star players:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marvin_O'Connor

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Larbre34 wrote: »
    I don't think the fans were out of line in not accepting a strategy which saw good players straight-jacketed and killed creativity and which saw months of poor performances, not when it was known there was much more capability.

:pac:

As we get further and further away from the events, and as people's grasp on what actually happened moves further away from reality, this argument just becomes more and more pointless.

The only thing I'm really interested in is his backing of Leo and whether or not that's an indication that we're going to have Leo for the entire season, or even beyond that.

F**k's sake Emmet, keep up. After Bayonne's relegation to ProD2, we've swooped for one of their star players:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marvin_O'Connor

Nice signing. I heard he got an offer from Toulouse.

Nice signing. I heard he got an offer from Toulouse.

"Swervin' Marvin" just doesn't have the same ring.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭total former

More from Matt here:
    http://www.herald.ie/sport/rugby/matt-oconnor-id-love-to-have-had-run-with-sexton-31330256.html

Gives Leo the thumbs up as head coach, but what else is he going to say I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

The expectations thing will not be useable this season, as most fans don't really have any expectations, above hoping that we see progress in how we play and some meaningful game time for the next generation. It will be interesting to see how long it takes Tony Ward to trot it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,840 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

Bored with MOC business. I cant wait until we have a new head coach. & not Leo Cullen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

Bored with MOC business. I cant wait until we have a new head coach. & not Leo Cullen.

See you in 2017 :pac:

If Leo goes on to win the RCC and Pro12 next season boards will collectively:

Metaphors-Web.jpg

CEbwPutWEAAwZy1.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,832 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

If Leo goes on to win the RCC and Pro12 next season boards will collectively:

Metaphors-Web.jpg

CEbwPutWEAAwZy1.jpg

Yea, and if Leo really manages that then:

pigs%20will%20fly.jpg

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

So what type of team are we looking at putting out during the RWC?

Front row is still abit of an unknown til we know who's going to the RWC
    Second Row: The 2 Micks (McCarthy and Kearney), and Douglas
    Back Row: Ruddock, Kev McL, Ryan, Leavy, Van der Flier, and Conan too I'd say
    Scrum Half: L. McGrath
    Outhalf: ??
    12: O'Shea/Reid
    13: Te'o
    Wing: Fanning, M.McGrath, DK/McFadden (both won't be going to the RWC).
    FB: Nacewa, ZK

That's potentially a good loose 5, centres, and outside backs there

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭Thanos

CatFromHue wrote: »

Would think we will see Isa on one of the wings for his experience and can drop to FB if needs be (injury).

Back 3 of ZK, Isa and DK/McF would be great while internationals are away.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Could be.

The players not involved with the U20's, Ireland, or Emerging Ireland will be back training next week, Isa included.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,595 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

CatFromHue wrote: »

For a rwc'less team, that's also a damn fine second row and replacement.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭Thanos

As an after thought and seeing the question mark at outhalf, would we go down the road of Isa to 10 again......?

I dunno I think he'd be better in the outside backs, assuming he's back near to what he used to be.

Madigan could be with Ireland during the 6N so no harm to give whoever the next 10 is a bit of a run first.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Are we sure ZK won't be in the Boks squad?

I reckon we'll see

1. Byrne
    2. Byrne
    3. Furlong
    4. Maccer
    5. Douglas
    6. Ruddock
    7. Ryan
    8. Conan
    09. McGrath
    10. Marsh
    11. Fanning
    12. Reid
    13. T'eo
    14. McFadden
    15. Nacewa

16. Dundon?
    17. Hirst
    18. RBF
    19. Kearney
    20. Leavy
    21. McCarthy
    22. Byrne
    23. COS/McGrath

Not a bad 23 to be honest, bar the front rows?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭Clearlier

.ak wrote: »

There's a decent chance he won't be in the starting XV for Leinster this season - I know that that boks aren't renowned for their backs but they must have several better options available to them.

From a Leinster and long term Irish point of view I'd prefer to see Furlong left out of the squad. The world cup period is a great opportunity to give him an extended run of games and I don't think that it's impossible that he'll leapfrog Ross and Moore within the year.

Well if they don't pick him he'd start for us during the RWC, so then a back 3 of ZK, Isa and Ferg/DK... That's really not bad!

• Advertisement

Bit off topic and not sure how to tackle this without appearing either ignorant or racist but with the new policy implemented by SA regarding having a minimum number of black players on the team - will this improve ZK's chances of qualifying?

I'm not sure of ZK's ancestry and don't know where the line is drawn.

Bit off topic and not sure how to tackle this without appearing either ignorant or racist but with the new policy implemented by SA regarding having a minimum number of black players on the team - will this improve ZK's chances of qualifying?

Yeah well he was used as an example at the time when it came up - because they weren't sure how he'd be 'classified'.

Ugh, the whole thing is ridiculous really.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

It's for non-white players and Kirchner is what is considered coloured in SA as opposed to black. But there are a fair few others who would be there too.

Habana, Hendricks, Mvovo and Pietersen are all non-white and back three players too. They've all been involved in recent times. I wouldn't expect ZK to be involved aside from having a shot at the wider squad.

Buer wrote: »
    It's for non-white players and Kirchner is what is considered coloured in SA as opposed to black. But there are a fair few others who would be there too.

Habana, Hendricks, Mvovo and Pietersen are all non-white and back three players too. They've all been involved in recent times. I wouldn't expect ZK to be involved aside from having a shot at the wider squad.

Thanks for clarifying Buer!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

I reckon we'll see

1. Byrne
    2. Byrne
    3. Furlong
    4. Maccer
    5. Douglas
    6. Ruddock
    7. Ryan
    8. Conan
    09. McGrath
    10. Marsh
    11. Fanning
    12. Reid
    13. T'eo
    14. McFadden
    15. Nacewa

16. Dundon?
    17. Hirst
    18. RBF
    19. Kearney
    20. Leavy
    21. McCarthy
    22. Byrne
    23. COS/McGrath

Not a bad 23 to be honest, bar the front rows?

Dundon retired didn't he? I think Tracy has played hooker a fair bit despite being classed as a prop so we might see him in the 16 shirt. I'd say Nacewa will bench early on until he's back up to speed. We don't have huge issues in the back 3 at all so there's no rush there. So we'd probably be looking at something like:

Byrne Byrne Furlong
    McCarthy Douglas
    Ruddock Conan Ryan

McGrath Marsh
    Reid T'eo
    Kearney Kirchner McFadden

Tracy, Dooley, Royce, Kearney, Leavy, McCarthy, Byrne, Nacewa

I thought the Byrne brothers looked pretty good last year when they had a run out. If they can stay fit I wouldn't be hugely worried about our front row. And if Furlong goes to the RWC then Bent won't so we should be fine at TH either way. Considering that I think it's a fairly decent pack given the circumstances.

12-15 we're laughing I think. I know Zane hasn't impressed much in the last season or so but I still have a feeling in my waters (or is it my bowels) that he'll come good for us. It's 9 and 10 yet again that raise the questions. But with Dempsey likely there for the first few months anyway, plus Reid outside them, there's plenty of familiarity from coaches to the combinations on the field. That should help.

The front row and halfs replacements are a little bit of an issue, although Byrne has a good bit of talent. The problems will come if/when the injuries do. But even at that we still have the likes of VDF, Denton, Fanning, Mick McGrath, SCM, Crosbie, O'Shea etc floating about the place. If we can keep a few key guys fit for the first 6-7 weeks then we should be able to hold our own. And that would be a pretty good accomplishment for a team so badly affected by international call-ups.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

SCM is gone to England.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

SCM is gone to England.

Ah yeah forgot about that....

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 511 ✭✭✭RichieRich89

Even discounting all of the players in the wider Ireland squad we could still put out a team that looked something like:

1 Byrne
    2 Byrne
    3 Burke-Flynn
    4 Douglas
    5 McCarthy
    6 Ryan*
    7 van der Flier
    8 Timmins
    9 McGrath
    10 Marsh/Byrne
    11 Kirchner
    12 Te'o
    13 O'Shea
    14 Kelleher
    15 Nacewa

16 Tracy
    17 Dooley/Hirst
    18 Heffernan
    19 Denton
    20 Leavy
    21 McCarthy
    22 Byrne/Crosbie
    23 Ringrose/Fanning

Looking at that line-up, it would definitely be useful to have Conan and Furlong available. Conan should be available but Furlong could easily make the final 31

Will Ruddock actually be out during the WC period, or was he left out of the Ireland squad because the injury would have hampered his training in the build up?

*What's the situation with McLaughlin? Anyone know whether he'll be fit for the start of the season?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Even discounting all of the players in the wider Ireland squad we could still put out a team that looked something like:

1 Byrne
    2 Byrne
    3 Burke-Flynn
    4 Douglas
    5 McCarthy
    6 Ryan*
    7 van der Flier
    8 Timmins
    9 McGrath
    10 Marsh/Byrne
    11 Kirchner
    12 Te'o
    13 O'Shea
    14 Kelleher
    15 Nacewa

16 Tracy
    17 Dooley/Hirst
    18 Heffernan
    19 Denton
    20 Leavy
    21 McCarthy
    22 Byrne/Crosbie
    23 Ringrose/Fanning

Looking at that line-up, it would definitely be useful to have Conan and Furlong available. Conan should be available but Furlong could easily make the final 31

Will Ruddock actually be out during the WC period, or was he left out of the Ireland squad because the injury would have hampered his training in the build up?

*What's the situation with McLaughlin? Anyone know whether he'll be fit for the start of the season?

Well that's not too bad a line up at all. Front row is a worry if the Byrnes get injured, but it could be a great chance for Marsh to impress at 10. Great chance for Luke McGrath too......he didn't exactly shine last season, so he is lucky to get another go. Having Nacewa, ZK and DK/McFadden in the backs is just great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

At least one of Bent and Furlong will be available.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement