Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread VI: End of the MOC [Revenge of the STH]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭wise7

vienne86 wrote: »
    Well that's not too bad a line up at all. Front row is a worry if the Byrnes get injured, but it could be a great chance for Marsh to impress at 10. Great chance for Luke McGrath too......he didn't exactly shine last season, so he is lucky to get another go. Having Nacewa, ZK and DK/McFadden in the backs is just great.
    Agree its a great chance for Marsh and Byrne too as he did really well in the few games he started in the B&I and looked very much in control of his game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭total former

.ak wrote: »
    Are we sure ZK won't be in the Boks squad?

Just been called up to the 49 man training squad so it's a possibility at least, if still unlikely.

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭hogandrew

I've been out of the country for the last few months so haven't been keeping up to date but did I not see something about marsh moving to Connacht? I'd prefer to see Byrne get game time anyway. I think although marsh is probably a bit ahead that Byrne has serious potential. I'm also dying to see leavy get a decent run of games. Probably a little early for Ringrose to start but maybe the possibility of 20 mins here and there is something to get excited about with girvs influence

hogandrew wrote: »
    I've been out of the country for the last few months so haven't been keeping up to date but did I not see something about marsh moving to Connacht? I'd prefer to see Byrne get game time anyway. I think although marsh is probably a bit ahead that Byrne has serious potential. I'm also dying to see leavy get a decent run of games. Probably a little early for Ringrose to start but maybe the possibility of 20 mins here and there is something to get excited about with girvs influence

The story about Marsh appeared once on another discussion forum and was repeated here based on that. It seems unlikely to be true.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Marsh is the same age as Carty and would be behind him on exposure levels to Senior rugby so it wouldn't make much sense for them to sign him.

They could do with another 10 though as Ronaldson's injury profile isn't great and Nikora won't be around next season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

CatFromHue wrote: »
    Marsh is the same age as Carty and would be behind him on exposure levels to Senior rugby so it wouldn't make much sense for them to sign him.

They could do with another 10 though as Ronaldson's injury profile isn't great and Nikora won't be around next season.

With that exposure Carty has shown that he either isnt anywhere near ready, or that hes simply not that good. Im not saying we have any evidence that Marsh is, but if Connacht are looking for 10 with ability and potential to improve they do have that in Marsh

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

hogandrew wrote: »
    There has been talk of Marsh moving but I don't see it happening. He is a talent but will always(and always has) suffer from being too small at top level. Byrne has a higher ceiling but Marsh is still a top quality player
    Is possibly too early for Ringrose. How much has he played at AIL level never mind A level????
    He will get game time this season though....
    Tox56 wrote: »
    With that exposure Carty has shown that he either isnt anywhere near ready, or that hes simply not that good. Im not saying we have any evidence that Marsh is, but if Connacht are looking for 10 with ability and potential to improve they do have that in Marsh
    I think its that he isn't ready yet not that he isn't good enough.
    How many guys are good enough at his age at playing 10??
    Marsh isn't the guy Connacht need if signing a 10

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

That's potentially a strong squad hopefully we won't have any repeat of last years disastrous start with injuries!

Is Byrne due back from injury for pre-season?

Marco Caputo is going to be Tonga's scrum coach for the World Cup. He should have some decent raw material to work with in terms of brute strength anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭wise7

stephen_n wrote: »
    That's potentially a strong squad hopefully we won't have any repeat of last years disastrous start with injuries!

Is Byrne due back from injury for pre-season?
    Think he is expected to be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭DelMcG

Marco Caputo is going to be Tonga's scrum coach for the World Cup. He should have some decent raw material to work with in terms of brute strength anyway.

Best of luck to him. He's a good coach who can hold his head high despite the shambles of last season. Surprising that the Wallabies are sniffing around Mario Ledesma for a similar role when there's a native & previously capped option available

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭The Parish King

Who do we think will be our first choice 12 next season? Reid should get a good run of games to put some form together during the RWC and having Sexton back kinda negates the benefit of having Madigan there for his goal kicking.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Te'o and Fitzgerald in the centre?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭MattD

First choice during the WC will be Reid - Te'o I'd imagine, with slight input from McFadden and COS. Hopefully they'll have formed a good partnership that we can maintain for when Sexton, Luke and Rob Kearney come back to the XV.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Big opportunity for Reid so hopefully he can stay fit.

To me we still have a ? over the 12 so he has a great opportunity here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭DGRulz

Was there ever any official word on the RDS naming rights? Last I saw, someone said it was LAYA but don't remember seeing anything official.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Reid has to get games this season and imo it's very frustrating at how little he was used last season.

Reid has to get games this season and imo it's very frustrating at how little he was used last season.

Him and Darcy suffered from our need to have a goal kicker at 12.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Wasn't Reid injured last season? Hope he makes the most of this opportunity during the WC.

Reid was injured for long periods, especially in the first half of last season.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Wasn't Reid injured last season? Hope he makes the most of this opportunity during the WC.

For a part of it yes. But I thought he would have been fit again by the end. Nothing was really announced about it though.

He still started 9 games last season, which is OK considering he was competing with two internationals for the jersey.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

It will be interesting to see what happens at 12 this year. I have been impressed by Reid, and would like to see more of him there, but Madigan is too good to leave off the team. I thought at one stage Madigan might make a 9 (and we need one IMO), but I don't think he has shown the ability to make good quick decisions needed at 9.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Yeah, he picked up an injury in the first few minutes of our first game, then there was a point around after Christmas where he just wasn't making the squad because of who was ahead of him. It was encouraging to see that when he did start getting game time he just seemed to pick up where he left off.

From the limited amount I saw of him at the emerging tour he was very good also, doing all the good stuff a centre should; fixing defenders, passing strong off both hands, and picking soft shoulders. In an age where team just seem to be getting flanker sized lumps into the midfield to run through people it was good to see the old basics done well and effectively.

I really think himself and T'eo can click. In a lot of ways T'eo can mirror what COS did with Reid for Clontarf, that is to say running hard and direct on his outside shoulder and soaking up in defence. In that regard the two of them could click sooner than we think. They already played a few games together too I think (T'eo's debut?)

It will be interesting to see what happens at 12 this year. I have been impressed by Reid, and would like to see more of him there, but Madigan is too good to leave off the team. I thought at one stage Madigan might make a 9 (and we need one IMO), but I don't think he has shown the ability to make good quick decisions needed at 9.

Madigan's not that good.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Madigan is definitely not too good to be left out. His place will be under severe pressure next season, I'd imagine he'll be back to backing up Sexton from the bench and covering him when he's unavailable.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Madigan isn't too good to be left out of the team. He isn't a 9 and never was at pro level. Reid will certainly push him at 12 and he wont start big games at 10/15. His contract up at end of next season. Will he stay beyond it if he wants to play 10 in more than just weaker pro12 games??

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Madigan is too good to leave off the team. .

Sorry, vienne, I just don't understand this. I'm assuming you're talking about him being at 12 because Sexton is obviously going to be our outhalf.

Madigan isn't anything special at 12. He's barely average there. He was shown up in our big games against Wasps, Bath and Toulon at 12 with missed tackles, loose play and poor decision making in attack.

He's living off a buzz around him from a Pro12 campaign a few seasons ago (and was mundane enough at 12 when he played there later that season soo).

• Administrators Posts: 53,832 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

For the 100000th time, if Madigan wants to grow as a player he needs to leave Leinster. There are better players (or better prospects) than him in all of his positions at Leinster.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭JPNelsforearm

awec wrote: »
    For the 100000th time, if Madigan wants to grow as a player he needs to leave Leinster. There are better players (or better prospects) than him in all of his positions at Leinster.

A season or two of super rugby and back to Leinster as JS's body starts to break down leading into the next WC, sorted.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement